Keezer adding tile question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cevans95

Reaction score
I'm in the process of building my keezer and I planned on adding subway tile to the countertop. Is 1/4" backer board, attached to plywood enough thickness to attach the tile too or do I need it to be thicker? Any help would be much appreciated. Here's a quick pic of where I'm at with it. After the ship lap is complete the counter is next. Cheers!

IMG_6074.jpg

I would personally use at least 1/2", if not 3/4". I would think the 1/4" will flex too much and your grout will crack at the least or start losing tiles at the worst.

Your keezer build looks great so far.

On the keezers I have built two had tile on the top. In both cases I used 3/4" plywood as a base. I used Bondera to attach the tile to the plywood, and then immediately grouted the tile.

Your keezer build looks great so far.

On the keezers I have built two had tile on the top. In both cases I used 3/4" plywood as a base. I used Bondera to attach the tile to the plywood, and then immediately grouted the tile.
I'm liking the idea of the bondera. With those two keezers have you seen anything I need to be warned about? Tiles shifting over time, plywood absorbing moisture, or anything else?

I have not encountered any issues using Bondera. No tiles have become loose nor has any of the grout cracked. It does not appear as though the plywood has absorbed any liquid. I did however strengthen the lid and used 3/4" plywood bolted down.

My build threads are at the bottom of my posts if you need photos to help your build. Bondera was used in the second and third builds.

If you have more questions just ask there are a lot of knowledgeable folks on this forum.

Back