Keezer 4 Taps & 7" Touch Display

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patattack

Reaction score
My first post on this forum on which I've been a member for quite some time, seeking all different kinds of information regarding homebrewing and DIY projects. Now I wanted to share a bit around my latest project. Hopefully this will provide you information, tips or general ideas when deciding to build a keezer on your own.

My decision to build a keezer came about when I finally decided it wasn't feasible using my fementation fridge both as a temperature controlled fermentation chamber as well as housing and serving my filled kegs. Every brewday I needed to make room for the fermentors, thus forcing me to put my kegs in the garage for some time.

So the project planning phase started by reading and visualizing different ideas, which were all narrowed down to the following specifics;

- 4 Taps
- Countertop instead of Collar
- STC1000 controlled
- Integrated 7" Touch Monitor to present beers on tap
- Some kind of taptower
- On Wheels
- Max 75cm deep (in order to easily move it between garage and home)
- IR Sensor Controlled Monitor
- 2 Integrated computer fans to circulate air
- It needs to be black

The chest freezer was given to me freely by my father who makes a living on kitchen appliances :mug:

attachment.php

Quickly found a way to integrate the STC1000 by cutting the steel just above the front panel.

attachment.php

Unfortunately, i cut a bit to high, and due to that the top just above the compressor was slightly curved, the stc1000 didn't fit as planned. I did a cut a bit deeper and added a silicon string just above to conseal the eventual gap.

attachment.php

The freezer was in pretty rough shape, so did some sanding to get rid of rust and filled all dings and gaps with polyester filler prior to adding primer to the entire freezer.

attachment.php

Final layer of primer added, looks as new! :rockin:
Just barely seeing the wheels.

DSC_0057.jpg

DSC_0122.jpg

DSC_0174.jpg

DSC_0175.jpg

DSC_0191.jpg

Final layers of black paint has been added, quite satisfied with the result. Did have some issues where i accidentally sprayed to close which resulted in some "ringmarks" that i needed to sand down with some sanding paper.

DSC_0195.jpg

DSC_0189.jpg

DSC_0190.jpg

I've also received the touch monitor which I'm going to use to present the beers on tap. The idea is to use an old raspberry pi that I've got laying around.
When it comes to powering the raspberry pi, I ordered the switching power supply converter below which will transform 230v (EU) to 5v/2A. This should give more than enough current to power all the gadgets (raspberry pi, IR sensor, usb wifi, and the monitor).
By using the switching power supply converter i can easily integrate the raspberry pi to the circuit, thus preventing the need of a separate adapter just to power the RPI.

58b6a35e74f8f541a619777b-2-contest

57b27c4bb5ac64502d430dd5-1-contest

Managed to do some installs by integrating the switching power supply converter for the raspberry pi - worked out pretty well! the led on the power supply came right on, and when connecting the stripped USB cable to the raspberry pi, the rpi came right on and everything seemed to be working fine!

83oKl.png

This image shows how I cut the USB cable in order to connect it to the power supply.

attachment.php

Installed an aluminum sheet in order to attach the power supply somewhere. Also installed a 230v - 2x12v 2A transformator (just behind the power supply) to power the two fans that is going to circulate the air in the freezer.
The Idea is to have a moisture absorber just in front of one of the circulating fans, hopefully this will prevent any condensation to build up - preventing growth of mold.

attachment.php

Found a pretty neat way to integrate the IR sensor. I just drilled a 1" hole in the knob that previously controlled the mechanical thermostat, and the cavity behind was perfect in size to house the IR sensor.

Countertop is finished!
Bought a countertop board made of laminated oak with the dimensions; 2400x600x27 (Length x Width x Height in mm) which I cut down to the measurement 860x750. The freezers dimensions were 803 x 700, the reason for cutting the countertop in these dimensions was to allow for 27mm on each end to make a 45 degree cut to allow for a clean line between the sides and the top.

Since the countertop board i bought was only 600mm deep we cut a 150mm deep board to attach to the main board with a domino joining tool.

We then proceeded by routing the screen dimensions, where the plan from the beginning was to attach the screen from underneath the countertop, so that there was a <5mm edge between the screen and the countertop. Unfortunately i didn't measure the screen twice, and made a slight mistake by adding 20mm to each measure (don't ask me how...), which basically threw us of our feet at first... So instead of shredding it to peaces, we quickly decided to cut an aluminum list and use that as a frame for the monitor - it turned out great!

attachment.php

These are the two parts that we joined together with the domino tool. It's good to have a brother that has all the tools one could need.

attachment.php

This is how the whole thing turned out after routing for the monitor.

attachment.php

Aluminum frame on place :)

attachment.php

And here's one with the screen in place

DSC_0383.jpg

DSC_0404.jpg

DSC_0402.jpg

DSC_0401.jpg

Back