Keeping a keezer in the garage...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig311

Reaction score
In the northeast (CT). The garage is attached to the house but still gets pretty cold in the winter. Will a typical keezer setup prevent the beer from freezing?

One of my selling points to SWMBO is that it will be in the garage. I'm now wondering if that's feasible.

Newer refrigerators don't like the outside temp too cold. Older frigs seem to work better. If you do a search on the particular model, check the outside temp operating ranges.

The freezing point of beer will be lower than 32 F. Does your garage get colder than that? If your beer is 5%, I think you'll start to see freezing at around 28F. I'm in Southern NH and don't think my garage got colder than 35F when it was below zero out. I'd make sure your garage is insulated from drafts to keep it a little warmer.

[Will a typical keezer setup prevent the beer from freezing?/QUOTE]

No, but you should be able to find pipe heater tape locally. Wrap it around the shanks and it will be enough to keep the faucets working and the beer from freezing.

I'm in nebraska, it can get pretty damn cold here. My keezer didn't freeze the beer inside of it last year and we had an arctic front for a couple weeks.

Back