Just trolling for ideas for a Gang Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewernaut51

Reaction score
My club is brewing a gang brew beer to share at a homebrewing festival. It needs to be 8%abv, and must contain 1 ingredient from each of these three categories:

1. Bark or root (eg cinnamon, ginger, sassafras...)
2. Fruit or flower (eg cherries, orange zest, hibiscus...)
3. Spice or leaf (eg vanilla bean, nutmeg, tea leaves...)

I'm really looking for out of the box ideas. Ideally stuff you've used before.

When is the festival? Warm or cold weather?

In the box: Thinking a Belgian trip or golden ale with ginger, hibiscus and coriander. The ginger and corriander will pair well. The hibiscus will add a little tartness and a nice pink hue.

Out of the box: cream ale with purple yam, cardamom and lemongrass.

My club is brewing a gang brew beer to share at a homebrewing festival. It needs to be 8%abv, and must contain 1 ingredient from each of these three categories:

When is the festival?

I'm making chocolate banana stout right now with cocoa powder, bananas with ripe banana peel and kegging with rum soaked cacao beans. It could probably be good with a touch of rum extracted cinnamon too. I'm definitely adding lactose for mouth feel.

I'm dubbing a new style as a milkshake stout verses a milkshake IPA.

Mine is going to be 6% without the banana, I toyed with making it big like 10%, decided later to keep it lower.

It's the Michigan Homebrew Festival on Aug 16. That's a pretty short turnover for a high abv beer. Not sure it matters, everyone's pretty blitzed most of the time. Last year we made a "Pastafarian Saison" with purple carrots, bay leaf and tomatoes. Turned out pretty awesome.

I actually was looking at Schlenkerla's banana milkshake stout recipe earlier. I have a bunch of frozen ripe bananas I was saving for banana bread. Maybe I'll bounce that off the club, see what they think. Maybe a suped up "double hefe" with bananas, cinnamon and cloves? Or maybe I could work something out with vanilla to be a bananas foster type thing.

An apple cinnamon sour might be cool. Since we're in Michigan apples and cherries are pretty common in the gang beers but sours would put us outside the comfort zone of most brewers.

Really like S-Met's "in the box" suggestion of a golden strong, might just brew that myself for kicks. Had a beer from Revolution Brewing that had hibiscus in it earlier this summer. Good stuff.

Im-here-for-the-gang-bang.jpg

While I am not a huge cream ale fan, i tasted a key lime pie cream ale that was light and refreshing. Lime zest, maybe mint leaf and a little lactose to a basic cream ale recipe may be good.

While 8% is not within style for a gose, but the margarita gose (search this site, i forget exactly where it is) is an EXCELLENT beer. Essentially 50% 2 row, 50% wheat. Ketttle sour. 1 oz salt and some coriander. May then add to fruit puree and most seem to love it.

Last edited:
Ok the Clitoria flower idea is hilarious and would totally satisfy one member's interest in getting an off the wall color. What flavor does it impart?

One of our local micros has a margarita gose. Might not be a bad idea, gose can turn over relatively quick and enough flavor could cover some of that alcohol heat of a young 8% beer.

You must be a member of the Dead End Brewers. I saw that post on Facebook this morning. Here's a Saison recipe that hits all the ingredients but misses the ABV criteria. It could be a start.

https://www.beercraftr.com/1-gallon-spiced-saison-recipe/

Cass River Homebrew. Dead End is over in Midland.

A couple of guys brewed up a pretty boring one at Hopcraft and since one of the owners is in our club he counted as the 3rd person.

Some of the other guys (including me) are a tad put out that they didnt make it known that they were doing it so we may do another. Theirs is a wheat with orange zest, coriander and ginger. Too generic imo.

Star anise would be interesting in that saison.

In the box: Thinking a Belgian trip or golden ale with ginger, hibiscus and coriander. The ginger and corriander will pair well. The hibiscus will add a little tartness and a nice pink hue.

My mind went to the hibiscus ginger option as well. Hibiscus can give a crazy delicious blueberry flavor, maybe even more than actual blueberries. Could even throw some sort of tea in with the hibiscus and ginger to blend it all together.

And imperial gose is amazing, on the margarita gose thread, you’ll find my side experiment of a red wine sangria gose. Ended up with a 10.2% beast of a gose. Could maybe do a gose with white wine (simply buy a 1 gal kit of grape must - add 10 days into primary) and hibiscus plus other stuff. Hmm, I guess that’d be red white wine sangria beer.

Trolling: making a deliberately offensive or provocative online post with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them.

Trawling: sifting through as part of a search.

Malapropism: the mistaken use of a word in place of a similar-sounding one, often with unintentionally amusing effect, as in, for example, “dance a flamingo ” (instead of flamenco).

Yes, I'm that guy.

I guess I should try to contribute too.
Ideas:
A classic imperial pumpkin ale, if it fits the requirements.
I had a "harvest witbier" from a local brewery with slight cherry and spices (sorry I don't have a recipe). It was delicious.
Imperial "Hefeweizen" with peanut butter (satisfying the root requirement) and vanilla. I guess you'd need to add banana, so you could use a neutral yeast if you want.

Cheers

The original trolling is also a kind of indiscriminate fishing, so technically could be used in this sense, even if trawling would be more usual.

I always thought internet trolling took its name from the fishing verb since you're often baiting people for a reaction. Anyway, I meant fishing.

Love the banana peanut idea. Like Elvis Presley s favorite sandwich.

I always thought internet trolling took its name from the fishing verb since you're often baiting people for a reaction. Anyway, I meant fishing.

Love the banana peanut idea. Like Elvis Presley s favorite sandwich.
All right then, just not how I usually think of "trolling" ;) it's all good.

I'd use just a standard weizen recipe like 60-70% wheat, with 2-row. 10 IBU of bittering hops. PB2 (deoiled peanut flour) is probably your best bet. Schlenkerla seems like the banana expert. Check out his thread you mentioned; he gave a ton of info. Could use vanilla or clove to round out the requirements.
WY1450? Haven't used it myself.
Sounds delicious to me.

Last edited:
Definitely. It'd go great in a real bready weizen, maybe with a few oz of honey malt for the full banana, peanut butter, honey sandwich effect. SWMBO has a can of PB2 in the cupboard I could steal from and I have the bananas. I might skip the clove and use vanilla as the spice to smooth it out.

I'll brew that whether we do another gang beer or not. I'll call it "The Kings Sandwich"

What do you call someone who trolls the trolls?

Do your rules say that it has to be beer, or could you do a graff. I don't know the specifics according to bjcp, but I was thinking 1/3 vol apple juice. Stick with something belgiany for beer style and yeast. Ferment in the mid-range of yeast temp so you don't blow off the apple profile. Add vanilla and apple pie seasonings (ginger, nutmeg, clove, cinnamon, ect.)
If you add lactose and go heavy on vanilla, you might pull off an Apple Pie ala mode taste.

A hero. They're doing a service.

It's a really informal thing and I don't think there's any honors other than bragging rights. The juice would work for the fruit imo.

I've done Graf before. That'd make a pretty tasty brew. Love using juice rather than the fruit itself since you can lose so much volume to the fruit.

Man, now I'm getting ideas I'll probably wind up doing myself.

Cass River Homebrew. Dead End is over in Midland.

A couple of guys brewed up a pretty boring one at Hopcraft and since one of the owners is in our club he counted as the 3rd person.

Some of the other guys (including me) are a tad put out that they didnt make it known that they were doing it so we may do another. Theirs is a wheat with orange zest, coriander and ginger. Too generic imo.

Star anise would be interesting in that saison.

I saw that after I posted. I used to be in the Cass River club. They didn't do anything interesting like this when I was in. Good luck.

A hero. They're doing a service.

It's a really informal thing and I don't think there's any honors other than bragging rights. The juice would work for the fruit imo.

I've done Graf before. That'd make a pretty tasty brew. Love using juice rather than the fruit itself since you can lose so much volume to the fruit.

Man, now I'm getting ideas I'll probably wind up doing myself.
You can also gyle with fruit juice. I once did thanksgiving wheat with cranberry and cherries, then gyled it with cherry juice.

Yarrow root.

Sent from my XT1575 using Home Brew mobile app

If using cardamom I just learn it may be better to take them out of the pod. I have not tried it yet. Also a little cardamom goes a long way. I'm.

Sent from my XT1575 using Home Brew mobile app

I saw that after I posted. I used to be in the Cass River club. They didn't do anything interesting like this when I was in. Good luck.

Got some new guys that want to end that "once a month drinking club" feel. We're having the Aug meeting at my place so we can do a bottle exchange. We've been trying to plan trips and do things like this gangbrew together but it can be a pain to work around schedules. There's definitely enough homebrewers in the area to support a healthy club. Just gotta keep it interesting.

@Schlenkerla using fruit juice for gyles is great. I've been doing a few partigyles lately. Just did Dennys vanilla bourbon porter and added some smoked malts after pulling the big beer to make a small smoked porter. Great way to crank out a couple beers quick. The last Graf I did was a 3.5gal beer I pulled off a barleywine grabbed that I topped off with a couple gallons of Apple cider. Turmed out really drinkable. A crowd pleaser.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back