Just tasted my...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bakon2

Reaction score
I bottled my honey brown ale recently. I tasted it at bottling and WOW was it nasty...very solventy. 10 days after I bottled I popped one open(knowing it wasnt carbonated yet) and sheesh did it taste wonderful. I do not want to wait 3-6 more weeks...i want it NOW!!! :)

Pretty tough. I bottled batch of Centennial Blonde and had a taste of the last drips in the bottling bucket. Even that tasted great.

Hold out, it'll be worth it...

I tried something experimental about 6 months ago, a blonde style ale with Asian herbs and spices (Chilli, lemongrass, corriander seeds, etc). Tried one a few weeks after bottling and it was pretty terrible - way too much lemongrass was the major problem. I've had a few tonight, they're not great, but seems to be mellowing out and is fairly drinkable.

Bottle conditioned beer is better. Making beer with forced carbonation is like making cheap champagne.

Enjoy the fruits of your labor with a good bottle conditioned beer. If you must have a quick homebrew make some nice 3.5 alcohol session beers. They'll condition and carb faster and taste great.

I'm not sold on draft beer. The bottle conditioned beer is always better IMO.

I bottled my honey brown ale recently. I tasted it at bottling and WOW was it nasty...very solventy. 10 days after I bottled I popped one open(knowing it wasnt carbonated yet) and sheesh did it taste wonderful. I do not want to wait 3-6 more weeks...i want it NOW!!! :)

glad it is tasting good now. I'm surprised it isn't carbed yet, mine usually carb in 5-7 days

I never check a bottle until 2 weeks. Then, just slightly over half of the batches are fully carbed. ALL of them tasted better at 3 weeks or longer.

Bottle conditioned beer is better. Making beer with forced carbonation is like making cheap champagne.

Enjoy the fruits of your labor with a good bottle conditioned beer. If you must have a quick homebrew make some nice 3.5 alcohol session beers. They'll condition and carb faster and taste great.

I'm not sold on draft beer. The bottle conditioned beer is always better IMO.

I strongly disagree. I don't think there is anything cheap about force carbing beer. I don't think it hurts the flavor one bit.

For the love of god........

If the beer is great now, drink it now!! This 3-6 weeks thing is nonsense.....

There is nothing wrong with force-carbing beer. I do both and my draft is just as tasty, but I get to enjoy it sooner than the bottles. The kegs even benefit from some age, though.

The reason bottle-conditioned beer needs 3 weeks is that you restart fermentation when you prime the beer, so it needs that time to ferment, carb, and clear. You can drink at 2 weeks after bottling, but it will almost certainly taste better at 3-4 weeks.

Set your pipeline up to where you don't need to open green beers. You'll be glad you did.

still waiting for carbonation, I haven't opened one in a week and then it seemed like it was just starting to carbonate but it has mellowed out a lot and tastes better now than it did. How long do honey brown ales usually take to carbonate? I made 5 gallons. Well actually it was just brown ale and I added 3.5 lbs of local honey during the last 5 minutes of the boil. Then added the primer before I bottled it from the secondary. Its been at least one and a half months in the bottle and kept in the dark at around 72-75 degrees F.

1 1/2 months in the bottle? It should be ready. Put a couple in the fridge until Saturday and try them. I bet they will be amazing. If so, give the rest somewhere between 3 days and a week in the fridge and enjoy. :mug:

1 1/2 months in the bottle? It should be ready. Put a couple in the fridge until Saturday and try them. I bet they will be amazing. If so, give the rest somewhere between 3 days and a week in the fridge and enjoy. :mug:

Well ok, since you are twisting my arm :mug:

Solvent is not going to go away, and is not a "green beer" symptom. Fusel alcohols are formed during fermentation. Get your fermentation temperature under control and never taste hot alcohol again.

Back