Just tasted MY first HB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UrbanBrew

Reaction score
I just tasted the first bottle from my first batch. It is only a Mr. Beer Hef. I ran to get a feel for the process. It was just bottled bottled last week so it still has the banana smell and taste pretty green, but if it get's no better then this it's drinkable. I'm sure iv'e paid $8.00 or more for beer not as good as this. I plan on tasting one a week during MNF to try to detect the changes in flavor. :ban:
:fro:

congrats. tried my first one yesterday. it was a newcastle clone doesn't taste like newcastle but it's drinkable. not much head yet so i will give it some more time. i cracked open a bottle of newcastle at the same time for comparison and actually preferred mine. the newcaste was skunked though

That's awesome, but my opinion is to not "waste" them this soon. Give them 3-4 weeks and you'll notice an incredible difference.

That's awesome, but my opinion is to not "waste" them this soon. Give them 3-4 weeks and you'll notice an incredible difference.

Putting on my bad influence hat, the only big difference I've noticed in my "normal" beers between 1wk and beyond is the carbonation

That said time did do well for my 9% DIPA

It's for research purposes :p Plus I'll be using this to help me not touch my Blood Orange Hef. that's conditioning.

And this brings up a question some of us newbies have about the timeline...

After primary fermentation (3-4 days for Cooper's English Bitter extract), I placed my brew in my secondary fermentor last night. I have a couple questions about the 3-4 weeks:

Should I condition for 2 weeks in the secondary, bottle it, sit for 2 more weeks, then drink?

Can I leave I leave the ale sitting in the secondary for a longer length of time before bottling or is 2 weeks the recommended procedure?

Thanks in advance for your expertise!

DY

And this brings up a question some of us newbies have about the timeline...

After primary fermentation (3-4 days for Cooper's English Bitter extract), I placed my brew in my secondary fermentor last night. I have a couple questions about the 3-4 weeks:

Should I condition for 2 weeks in the secondary, bottle it, sit for 2 more weeks, then drink?

Can I leave I leave the ale sitting in the secondary for a longer length of time before bottling or is 2 weeks the recommended procedure?

Thanks in advance for your expertise!

DY

...cue Revvy. :rockin:

You dont really need a secondary fermenter. The generally accepted principles of brewing have been updated in recent years.

Leave in primary for 4 weeks if you can stand it. 2-4 weeks is recommended. 10 days minimum for simple ales if you need beer asap.

Bottles need 3-4 weeks to carb them. Kegs can be carb'd in a day or two if you need to rush it, otherwise 1-2 weeks.

I just tasted the first bottle from my first batch. It is only a Mr. Beer Hef. I ran to get a feel for the process. It was just bottled bottled last week so it still has the banana smell and taste pretty green, but if it get's no better then this it's drinkable. I'm sure iv'e paid $8.00 or more for beer not as good as this. I plan on tasting one a week during MNF to try to detect the changes in flavor. :ban:
:fro:

Congrats and welcome to the obsession! :mug:

Apparently, when you bottle carb, you reset the timeline on the green factor, because fermentation is renewed. That's why a beer that is force-carbed is drinkable earlier than one that is bottle carbed. That may not be true, that's just what 500 people told me.

Back