Just started brewing, first batch seemed a bit diluted...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lind13

Reaction score
Did our first home brew, decided on an extract pale ale. Everything went flawless except for cooling the wort, underestimated the ice bath for it. Also ran into a problem getting the hops out but got it done eventually. Our final gravity was right on after 8 days in around 70-74 degree temp. We tasted our sample and it seemed diluted. Any ideas why that is? Will the carbonation from the priming sugar add much to the taste? Or was what we sampled what we are going to get? Any help is appreciated!

What you are tasting is "green" beer. After three weeks bottle conditionong it should taste fine. Just try to keep the temp around 70F while confitioning. Chill and enjoy after a few days. Good luck and welcome to your new obsession.

Uncarbonated beer is sort of an approximation of how it will taste once carbonated. Carbonation adds carbonic acid which changes the taste perception considerably.

If your original gravity and final gravity are close to the projected recipe numbers then your beer is not dilluted. Next time try to keep those fermentation temps closer to the 66-68 degree range. You'll get a cleaner finished product if you can keep it in the mid to upper 60's.

Enjoy

Awesome! Ya we fermented in the kitchen which was probably near 73 on average. We have now started another Brew and moved it to the basement. Can't wait to crack open a homebrew

Just make sure you're keeping the ferment temps toward the lower end of the yeast's range. The yeast I used last time,for instance,has a "good" range of 68-72F. I kept it at 69F,& it came out good. You get cleaner flavor that way. But it is true that green beer is only an indicator of the final product. You'll never know how good it really is till it's ready to pour.
I learned that the hard way,as I'm sure all of us has...:mug:

Back