just for passedpawn

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every time I go to pull firewood from a stack at my house or my parents place, I inspect the pieces I grab before I bring them inside.

This. Even in teh dead of winter when they should be someplace else, I make sure to keep the wood outside under a covered patio. If it comes inside, it's only long enough to go into the fire.

JESUS CHRIST. What the hell kind of thread is this??

Now I'm all creeped-out and itchy. >>>>>>>shudddddder<<<<<<<

You probably won't want to see this then:

SpidereatsBird-1.jpg

tchamber said:
It's a Golden Orb Weaver, the photo was taken in Atherton, QLD, Australia.

Those Aussies are so lucky! Between these and the Australian Brown Snake they are batting a thousand for "Places to die on vacation".

After studying abroad in Australia I determined that Australia has all the same critters we do but they evolved to their deadliest possible evolution as quickly as possible.

Many years ago as I was laying on the the couch one day a very large wolf spider crawled out from under that had an interesting texture to it. I pointed it out to my wife and she demanded I kill it instantly. I grabbed a stick of balsa wood that I had on the coffee table and depressed it into the head of the spider. At that point literally hundreds of baby spiders crawled off of the back of the dead spider and began to scatter.

Many years ago as I was laying on the the couch one day a very large wolf spider crawled out from under that had an interesting texture to it. I pointed it out to my wife and she demanded I kill it instantly. I grabbed a stick of balsa wood that I had on the coffee table and depressed it into the head of the spider. At that point literally hundreds of baby spiders crawled off of the back of the dead spider and began to scatter.

Wolf%20spider%20and%20babies.jpg

I'm not afraid of spiders but thanks to an episode of Dexter's Lab I fear killing spiders for this very reason!

I'm worried that if I kill a spider it A) is looking right at me with one of its freaky eyes while I kill it, and B) With its dying breath it will call forth all of its friends to retaliate.

What you describe would be a deep fear of mine coming to life.

Have you ever seen corn spiders? My grandma's blackberry's have these monsters in them. Saw this guy yesterday.
From back leg to front leg they are around 2.5 inches!

spider.JPG

Wouldn't that make it a blackberry spider? :p

Yep, except we called them "garden spiders" growing-up. They are huge. We get big-ass wolf spiders around the midwest, too. Furry things that are semi-aggressive if you get too close. They don't scare me from a distance or if I have a newspaper, etc. but I wouldn't want to wake up to one staring me in the face!

I bet this makes passedpawn crap his pants:

Garden or banana spider here.

This. Even in teh dead of winter when they should be someplace else, I make sure to keep the wood outside under a covered patio. If it comes inside, it's only long enough to go into the fire.

Same, but due to termite paranoia.

We call these tick spiders.

tick spider.jpg

Holy crap, this thread is going to give me nightmares. I keep cans of spider killer spray in all of our bathrooms, under the kitchen sink and in the garage. I figure I'm never more than a quick jump from safety.

shudder ...

o
m
g

That's horrid,

With all the wolf spiders here, I see this at least once or twice a year near the gardens. Have learned to keep an old plastic cup (from chinese take out) with a hole in the bottom.

Cup over the critters, spray through the hole. I don't mind spiders, too much, but dammit that's too many at once.

Funny enough.... I was at my other job yesterday and my back/shoulder started itching something fierce right after I changed my shirt. When I got home later, the SWMBO noticed my back had several huge "irritations". Yep, looked in the mirror and had 6 spider bites. I guess when I started scratching at them the spider got even more pissed off and went for the kill... I must've got him though.

Back