Just asking about my keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lazarus0530

Reaction score
Hey everyone I just built my first keezer.
I kinda of winged it. It's plane and simple.
Just wanted to ask if there's anything all you guys and girls would add to it. (well besides the more beer and taps they are coming) should I add more insulation ?

image-3117649407.jpg

image-651710590.jpg

image-3848521996.jpg

Is that the Costco freezer? I was looking at the Costco freezer and was wondering about the manual temp control.

what size shank did you get?

I am going to build a keezer soon to.

Good job on the faucet. Perlick is the way to go!

Crito said:
what size shank did you get?

I am going to build a keezer soon to.

Good job on the faucet. Perlick is the way to go!

I went to my lhbs and was going to get the 4inch .. Then I saw a 4 1/4 with a built nipple thing a ma jig . The guy there who I trust a lot told me thats the way to go the hose clamps onto the shaft it's self and makes cleaning easier.
I was very surprised how easy it was to build the collar . If you have any wood skills at all and I mean the basic's (can you read a tape? And can you drill? And can you cut wood?) that's it . I work with my hands so I found this very easy. ! I did mine in a couple of hours. (staining not included my wife did that when I was at work )
1) take the hinges off your freezer
2)remove the door/top of freezer
3) measure the outside diameter of your freezer.
4)cut 4 pieces that measure out of the sides
I used 2x6 's pine since its on the inside.
5) I went to lowes and found corner brackets and screwed all 4 pieces together
6) next I got a piece of maple 1x8 and cut those to match the outside dimensions of the 2x6 you only need 3 pieces since the back is hidden (on my anyways)
Cut each end of the front piece at a 45 degree if you want or you can square them off. I cut mine at 45 so I can finish it off with decorative corner pieces.
7 ) drill holes for carriage bolts. The size and placement is up to you really. But make sure you your inside wood and maple on the tips are even. So that the maple hangs 2 inches over the bottom. Insert carriage bolts and tight'n . I placed mine 2 inches and 4 inches from the top on the left and right sides of the front as well as on the side near and far.
8 ) find a wife who will stain while your at work.
9) take off the collar and flip it over. Add weather stripping to the pine 2x6 's the side that sits on the freezer.
10 ) drill your hole for the tap I went smack in the middle then I'll just space more out from there . (perlick is the only way to go ;) )
11) I silicone the gaps between the woods ... I figured what the hell
12) screw on the top
13) wish you had beer to put in the kegs

image-217174468.jpg

image-2743326896.jpg

image-60007177.jpg

image-175359584.jpg

I've seen people go crazy trying to build one. Believe me it's not that hard. Even my 7 year old son was learning how to do it as he watched. People try to go to big or try to create the baddest thing ever. You don't need to. The hardest part was finding everything at lowes.

Looks good. And, it seems simple enough to pull off for someone like me who has minimal woodworking skills. How is it doing holding the cold air? Would it be worth the effort to add some sort of insulation along the inside of the collar?

downtown3641 said:
Looks good. And, it seems simple enough to pull off for someone like me who has minimal woodworking skills. How is it doing holding the cold air? Would it be worth the effort to add some sort of insulation along the inside of the collar?

Yes. I haven't got that far yet , but I just use that board insulation . I'll spray glue that on. Plus the weather strip on the bottom of the collar. It should be good to go

What are you using to control the temperature? Any pics of that set-up? :D

I'm glad you posted this. I got a freezer as well and the collar is all I need to make for it to be complete. Still waiting for my temp controller, but it ought to be here by the time I get my days off to put this into action.

Balto said:
What are you using to control the temperature? Any pics of that set-up? :D

I'll get a pic of that soon. It's just a basic temp control. You plug the freezer into it. The prod goes into the freezer. I'm not a big fan of doing all that extra electric work of its not need it.

I'll get a pic of that soon. It's just a basic temp control. You plug the freezer into it. The prod goes into the freezer. I'm not a big fan of doing all that extra electric work of its not need it.

Thanx< keep us posted! :D

I would insulate the collar. Wood, while not a great conductor of heat, isn't as good of an insulator as the rest of your freezer's foam. Get some insulation-specific foamboard and just glue it around the inside of your collar.

daksin said:
I would insulate the collar. Wood, while not a great conductor of heat, isn't as good of an insulator as the rest of your freezer's foam. Get some insulation-specific foamboard and just glue it around the inside of your collar.

That's exactly what I'm going to do this weekend. Or at least before my beer is ready to go in. What's a good temp to get it at? I want it cold I'm thinking about 35 ish

That's exactly what I'm going to do this weekend. Or at least before my beer is ready to go in. What's a good temp to get it at? I want it cold I'm thinking about 35 ish

I'm thinking the same thing!!!! I like my brew ice cold!!!!:ban:

So your thinking 35 also?

Yes! My domestic beer fridge is outside in my mud room now. When I start kegging the plan is to have my kegs out there! Ice Cold in the summer. During the winter I'll need to put a lamp or small heater in there for the winter. Like below zero temps tonight make the first 3 beers in a 30 rack frozen!!!!

Well I just kegged my first time ever. We will see how it turns out.
I put the co at 20 psi is That to much? Here's the finished keezer

image-688056372.jpg

image-4193995173.jpg

image-221855214.jpg

Nice work! Thank You for the pictures! :ban: Really helps when your trying to learn whats going on. I'm going to keg at 30psi for 48 hours and then 8 to 10psi for serving pressure. I like high carb brews and cold! LOL

I found this vid last week and it's perfect for the way I'm going. I have at least $300.00 bucks worth the returns on my back deck from the whole famly! :D (more kegs lol)

[ame]http://youtu.be/xwbuqNS458c[/ame]

This is a good thread that someone pointed out in another question I had about using priming sugar.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/keg-force-carbing-methods-illustrated-73328/

Back