Just a brain storming question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cappy11078

Reaction score
A friend asked me if it is possible to brew by this way:
Make your beer and cool it down to your mash temp without pitching the yeast.
Now rebrew, with new ingredients, the brew you just made instead of using water.
Is there a style for this method? Like I said I was just brainstorming.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I would imagine that two issues you could have with this are:

bitterness - if you added hops to the first batch, let's say first addition was at 60 min, then in total you would be boiling those alpha acids for about 120 minutes and you'd get quite a lot of bitterness just from those. You'd need to work it out accordingly.

Color - you would get a lot of caramelization which could give a good flavor but it would be near impossible to have a light color.

Besides complexity, I can't think of what good it would do to make a batch like this but it does sound interesting and I'd love to hear about it if you do make a beer like this. I think the bitterness could be the make or break.

- ISM NRP

It would be a waste of time and energy to boil twice and add hops twice. You could mash, drain it and do a second mash with the same wort. Randy Mosher talks about this in Radical Brewing, he called Ignoble Dobble Dobble. You wouldn't get great efficiency from the second mash but you would end up with a strong rich beer. You'd need to hop it pretty heavy.

A friend asked me if it is possible to brew by this way:
Make your beer and cool it down to your mash temp without pitching the yeast.
Now rebrew, with new ingredients, the brew you just made instead of using water.
Is there a style for this method? Like I said I was just brainstorming.

Would you try making the same style twice or two different styles? Would be interesting for sure.

you would be adding fresh grains to hopped, boiled wort, not beer.

the new grain would give you even more sugars. boiling again would increase the caramelization of the wort.

overall, i'm not sold. it seems like using more grain in the first place and doubling the boil time would accomplish the same thing.

Interesting on the mixed comments. I say, without experimentation, there wouldn't be great beer!

Back