Johnson Controls Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OatStraw

Reaction score
I remember seeing this mentioned deep in one of the many Keezer build discussions but can't find the particular one I saw.

Does anyone know the damage done (if any) using one of these temperature controllers that plugs into the wall then the freezer has on the freezer? I tend to think the way it works would be the same thing as unplugging the freezer during mid cycle then plugging it back in and immediately starting a compressor cycle to keep temperature. For some reason this sounds like it would damage the compressor.

Am I completely wrong? Looking to put one to use, but don't want to destroy my freezer.

Your thought process is correct. The Johnson controllers (i.e. A419 model)have a built in anti short cycle delay that is adjustable through the interface to reduce the time the compressor kicks in.Not every controller has this feature.

Perfect. So with that model my concerns would be solved because it wouldn't be receiving power then immediately kicking the compressor.

You can set the time between cycles to anything you want. I think I had mine set to 10 minutes. The only downside is that it might take longer to get it down to temp to start with when you first chill the freezer. After that, your freezer BETTER be able to hold your temps for longer than 10 minutes!

Back