JOAMing the Middle East!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammersteps

Reaction score
So, I'm in the near/middle east on deployment for a while, and I ran across some Yemeni Blood Honey, whatever that means. I wish I would have gotten some more information on it, or some pics (sorry everyone), but I'm pretty excited. I made sort of a JOAM out of it (yeah....wish I would have ordered some nutes, and belgian strong ale yeast to do the BOMM for it but it was kinda a quick endeavor), and I'm pretty excited to see what comes of it. I didn't have a ton of options for equipment, as I'm living in a country where the making of alcohol is quite illegal, so I wen't with the following:

1 balloon we use for targets at the range
1500g Yemeni Blood Honey
Locally sourced orange, 1
Locally sourced raisins, handful....like 30ish
Locally sourced star anise, 1/5 star
Locally sourced cardamom, 1 pod
Locally sourced clove, 2
Astrico bread yeast, sourced when I was in Amman, JO

Process: Put honey in plastic 5L jug with some water taken out. Put in other stuff besides yeast and some sliced raisins. Shake it like it owes me money. Pour in yeast. Slap a balloon on, and poke it with an 18ga syringe needle twice.

Started four days ago. Had a bit of a krausen form overnight. Degassed at 24hrs. Added sliced raisins at 48hrs. Degassed at 72hrs. Now straight chillin' for a while, while I head out for a few days to put in work.

20160616_153111.jpg

20160616_162452.jpg

It sounds like the honey came from bees who fed on a sidr tree. It's supposedly a sacred tree in the area that is used to make all manner of medicinal products. Good luck with the mead!

Thanks Jorb, Bray, Skeletor. I'll post more as it goes along. Tried to pull up more info on the yeast (floc etc.) but no info to be found AOY. Smells great. The guys on my ODA are expecting it to be done like yesterday.....hard break it to them that it's got at least two months till its at the beginning of drinkability.

Have degassed twice more, and added a few more sliced raisins since we last checked in. I won't be messing with it anymore till it clears. I'll rack into sanitized liquor bottles at that point and take a taster.

Back