Jimi Hendrix

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
so tonight, Bob plays pandora and selects "Neil Young" radio. It went trhough some great tracks- Bod Dylan and Neil Young and other good stuff. Now, it's Jimi Hendrix's The Wind Cries Mary. I forgeto hwo much I loved hendrix. Great stuuff. :mug:

so tonight, Bob plays pandora and selects "Neil Young" radio. It went trhough some great tracks- Bod Dylan and Neil Young and other good stuff. Now, it's Jimi Hendrix's The Wind Cries Mary. I forgeto hwo much I loved hendrix. Great stuuff. :mug:

Wind Cries Mary, Hey Joe and Little Wing are some of the best songs he ever did and in the top 50 of all artists. Probably should throw All Along the Watchtower in there as well.

I am off to put JH on the ipod. Thanks for reminding me how great he is.

As much as I love Jimi , Did you no he was a 1 hit wonder ! (only song he had in top ten billboards was ) All along watch tower. Granted man was legend with alot of his songs ,and played a Strat strung upside down . I agree with him being in top 50 Artist of all time , still 1 of my favs.

All Along the Watchtower was written and recorded by Bob Dylan on his John Wesley Harding album, but I do think that Jimi's cover of it made it a hit.

Voodoo Chile and Voodoo Chile (Slight Return) are among my favorites from Hendrix. SRV's cover of it was extraordinary.

Me: "Who is your brother?"
My 2.5 year old daughter: "JIMI!"

She doesn't have a real brother, so Jimi might as well be.

My dad did the same thing...

*off to listen to "Are You Experienced?"*

meh, I like Hendrix, but as I get older and listen to more accomplished guitar players my respect for him as a player diminishes, but my respect for him as an innovator remains. He recorded some real crap along with a few brilliant tunes.

meh, I like Hendrix, but as I get older and listen to more accomplished guitar players my respect for him as a player diminishes, but my respect for him as an innovator remains. He recorded some real crap along with a few brilliant tunes.

I'm a fan (ldo) but I sort of agree with this (although trying to play Hendrix gives a new respect imo). My fave is prob Machine Gun from Band of Gypsys (warts and all). I often enjoy covers of his songs more than his versions, like this version of Are you Experienced by Joe Bonamassa from the A New Day Yesterday DVD. The video is only ~5min of a much longer jam. Great playing imo.

His birthday is later this month (27th).

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a fan (ldo) but I sort of agree with this (although trying to play Hendrix gives a new respect imo). My fave is prob Machine Gun from Band of Gypsys (warts and all). I often enjoy covers of his songs more than his versions, like this version of Are you Experienced by Joe Bonamassa from the A New Day Yesterday DVD. The video is only ~5min of a much longer jam. Great playing imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K6ab94I87M

His birthday is later this month (27th).

I have all his recordings, including stuff that wasn't released in his lifetime, now it's possibly doing him an injustice as he possibly didn't see fit to release it, but still there is some terrible crap out there that he recorded.
I used to be a massive fan and play guitar myself, I consider that I am growing up and no longer idolise him like I once did.

Now Rory Gallagher......he da man!

My favorite guitarist is now Johnny A, who does a great cover of Wind Cries Mary.

Too bad James Marshall Hendrix discovered heroin............

No man, that was C.R.Alder Wright, Jimi Hendrix was a guitarist not a chemist......

Diacetylmorphine was first synthesized in 1874 by C. R. Alder Wright, an English chemist working at St. Mary's Hospital Medical School in London. He had been experimenting with combining morphine with various acids.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heroin

;)

Meh. I appreciate what Jimi did, but I'm not a big fan. His vocals were crap and his guitar often sounded mushy. I had that Blues album and he could really play, but the hits he had were not that good IMO (Except Little Wing. That song is fabulous)

I guess Yooper and I have a great difference of opinion when it comes to music. Most of her favs are just "ok" in my mind.

Meh. I appreciate what Jimi did, but I'm not a big fan. His vocals were crap and his guitar often sounded mushy. I had that Blues album and he could really play, but the hits he had were not that good IMO (Except Little Wing. That song is fabulous)

BLASPHEMY!!! :D

Just appreciate the barriers he broke down. Also has some world renown amplifiers named after him James 'Marshall' Hendrix...

BLASPHEMY!!! :D

Just appreciate the barriers he broke down. Also has some world renown amplifiers named after him James 'Marshall' Hendrix...

What barriers are you talking about? I'm pretty sure LSD was not THAT uncommon by the time he hit it big. :D

Or should I say, :fro:

Well, like I said, he was a major influence on many, many great guitarists that followed, including one of my personal favorites, Joe Satriani. I can appreciate that.

I'm not a big fan of Eric Clapton either, FWIW. Again, I appreciate his influence and I like his songwriting, but I don't see his genius in his playing. Good Blues player, but not "God". (Even for his time). Maybe I need to listen to some of his album work. His hits were fun, but not really that unusual IMO.

What barriers are you talking about? I'm pretty sure LSD was not THAT uncommon by the time he hit it big. :D

Or should I say, :fro:

Well, like I said, he was a major influence on many, many great guitarists that followed, including one of my personal favorites, Joe Satriani. I can appreciate that.

I'm not a big fan of Eric Clapton either, FWIW. Again, I appreciate his influence and I like his songwriting, but I don't see his genius in his playing. Good Blues player, but not "God". (Even for his time). Maybe I need to listen to some of his album work. His hits were fun, but not really that unusual IMO.

+1 even the bit on Clapton, although when he's feeling blue he plays well....Unplugged is one of the best albums of all time.

Going to see the Experience Hendrix Tour with my dad on the 20th in Indy.
Here's the lineup

"Featuring Billy Cox of The Jimi Hendrix Experience and Band Of Gypsys, Steve Vai, Jonny Lang, Susan Tedeschi, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Robert Randolph, Brad Whitford of Aerosmith, Cesar Rosas & David Hidalgo of Los Lobos, Living Colour, Chris Layton of Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble, Ernie Isley, Mato Nanji of Indigenous, and The Slide Brothers."

The Johnny A cover of Wind Cries Mary is very good imo. Totally different jazzy spin on it. <3 Johnny A.

Wouldn't be surprised if David Hidalgo was the shining star of that lineup posted above.

I never 'got' Clapton until I listened to the Bluesbreaker record, still not 'god' obv but a different player than his later stuff.

the same goes for me with Santana.

Oh, yeah. Santana too.

I'm starting to sound like a real prick now!

I mean, I like his music mostly, but I can get tired of his sound. Although he has one song that I can't remember off the top of my head that I just love. I was surprised when I found out he recorded it.

I downloaded Abbey Road and The White Album the other day and am trying on some Beatles to see what I've been missing. Some songs it's like, "Damn! These guys were geniuses!" and other times... Not so much... But there were plenty of times that I'd forgotten about the great songs that were on those albums. Way more tunes that I liked than I remembered.

Since we turned it into a hate thread, I don't get the Beatles. Maybe drunk and/or stoned, but sober, meh.

The Stones on the other hand :rockin:

My wife tells me I was born in the wrong decade (80s). :(

Since we turned it into a hate thread, I don't get the Beatles. Maybe drunk and/or stoned, but sober, meh.

The Stones on the other hand :rockin:

My wife tells me I was born in the wrong decade (80s). :(
I'm just the opposite. Beatles are one of my favorites but just never got the Stones. Was a huge Zeppelin fan in the 70s.

Beatles pretty good, but still overrated IMO (course they were HUGE, so that's still saying a lot.

Stones - Meh. Not a big fan of Jagger. Just can't get into them much.

Watched The Who last night and they sounded pretty good for old farts! ;) Townsend plays a lot better than I thought!

Zep. Easily one of the most versatile rock bands out there. I enjoy nearly all of their songs.

Digging up an old threat with the same post ...listening to Band of Gypsys now and rocking out as hard as the last time I posted.

I have all his recordings, including stuff that wasn't released in his lifetime, now it's possibly doing him an injustice as he possibly didn't see fit to release it, but still there is some terrible crap out there that he recorded.
I used to be a massive fan and play guitar myself, I consider that I am growing up and no longer idolise him like I once did.

Now Rory Gallagher......he da man!

Jimi was once asked by som reporter how it felt to be the best guitarist in the world. H replied, "I don't know, go ask Rory Gallagher".

So my 2 cents..
Big fan, always have been. Don't care to bother with the "hits" like Purple Haze, Hey Joe, etc. I wish the worthless radio stations would explore the library a bit....
I like some of the less mainstream stuff like South Saturn Delta - now that's a bad-ass CD, and Cry of Love. I believe those were released after he was gone.
And Band 'O' Gypsys is killer.

104406-jimi_hendrix.jpg

It is always funny the responses that come up when people talk about Hendrix. Stuff like "Yeah, I used to really dig him, then I started to play and listen to more accomplished players and he just isn't that special.....blah blah blah".

I don't agree. The man was extremely talented and played some incredible stuff. I love sitting down and listening to some Hendrix.

Now the Beatles? I never understood that fascination. But, they were also talented musicians. I will give them that. That music just seemed too "bubble-gummy" for me.

On the note of awesome guitarists.....here is one of my favorite blues players. I especially dig the part when he sings without the mic. Good stuff:

Last edited by a moderator:
It is always funny the responses that come up when people talk about Hendrix. Stuff like "Yeah, I used to really dig him, then I started to play and listen to more accomplished players and he just isn't that special.....blah blah blah".

I don't agree. The man was extremely talented and played some incredible stuff. I love sitting down and listening to some Hendrix.

Now the Beatles? I never understood that fascination. But, they were also talented musicians. I will give them that. That music just seemed too "bubble-gummy" for me.

On the note of awesome guitarists.....here is one of my favorite blues players. I especially dig the part when he sings without the mic. Good stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7PTlAae-eE

and another:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZV1kGXqM9w

Oh Yeah! Poppa Chubby is awesome. That dude can play like nobody's buisness. I wonder who may have been an influence....

On another note, Noel Redding was one of the most under-rated bass players, in my opinion.....

Kind of funny how that happens - the bass players behind master guitar players rarely get mentioned, no matter how good they are. John Myung comes to mind...

Back