Need Music Suggestions!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We just got into Spotify, and we really like it. Every night, we listen to "dinner music" followed by some computer time while we listen to harder stuff.

I need some suggestions for new stuff (or, old stuff that would be new to me!) because I'm at a loss.

For "dinner music", we listen to Eddie Vedder, Neil Young, even bluegrass-ish stuff like Alison Krauss or Bela' Fleck. After dinner, we like Jerry Cantrell (Alice in Chains), anything with Chris Cornell like Temple of the Dog or Soundgarden, more Neil Young, and then lots of my "drinking music"- Tom Waits. Bob really likes Tool but I hate them. We both agree on Seether- we like them a lot.

We've got eclectic taste, but really like 90s grunge, alternative music that doesn't have a punk influence, and for our "dinner music" we love K.D Lang's Hymns of the 49th parallel, the aforementioned bluegrass-ish stuff, and I'm really into Eddie Vedder's Ukelele Songs. We listen to Van Morrison and Bob Dylan "radio" on Spotify and like that alot too.

But we need some new suggestions! For both time periods- listening during dinner and for our evening computer time while we have a few beers.

We do not like current country music or rap or hip hop. Otherwise, we'd be open to all kinds of suggestions!

Black Crowes, "Before the Frost, After the Freeze," is awesome dinner music. We wear it out around here.

It was recorded live in Levon Helm's Woodstock studio. It is fantastic.

Hate Tool? Jeez, I thought you'd be just the person to rock out to "Prison Sex." ;)

Jim Campilongo solo stuff / Little Willies
What about surf? Mermen, Ventures
Yarn
What about older country? Jerry Reed, Highway Men, Johnny Paycheck (Colorado Coolaid is an absolute classic), Commander Cody, Hank Jr, Chet Atkins

We've got eclectic taste, but really like 90s grunge, alternative music that doesn't have a punk influence,
If you like grunge you should listen to the soul of grunge bands, not just the commercial ones.

Take a listen to...

Mudhoney
The Melvins
Green River
Mother Love Bone(Pearl Jam Members)

I've really been digging Rodrigo y Gabriela's 11:11 album.

Imagine what happens when two Mexican classically trained nylon-string guitarists get together, discover they both love American heavy metal, and start writing together. It's some pretty dazzling stuff.

Black Crowes, "Before the Frost, After the Freeze," is awesome dinner music. We wear it out around here.

It was recorded live in Levon Helm's Woodstock studio. It is fantastic.

Hate Tool? Jeez, I thought you'd be just the person to rock out to "Prison Sex." ;)

Oh, yes, Bob really loves Prison Sex. :D

but I do like the Black Crowes, so that's going to be checked out, thanks!

If you like grunge you should listen to the soul of grunge bands, not just the commercial ones.

Take a listen to...

Mudhoney
The Melvins
Green River
Mother Love Bone(Pearl Jam Members)

Oh, yes, we get into Mother Love Bone and of course Temple of the Dog. Not so much Mudhoney, but Bob really likes The Screaming Trees. We've worn out or Mad Season CD.

We'll listen again to Green River. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Yooper, music is my LIFE. I'm a child of the grunge era and also love Bluegrass and Vedder's stuff (saw Pearl Jam about 23 times in my life haha). I'd recommend the following:

John Fahey (a MUST listen!), Fleet Foxes, M. Ward, Bonnie "Prince" Billy, Dan Auerbach, Real Estate, Grizzly Bear, The Heartless Bastards, Spoon, Jose Gonzalez, Junip, Dodos, Deer Tick, Middle Brother, Hacienda, Phosphorescent, Surfer Blood, Tame Impala, Traveling Wilburys, Wilco, My Morning Jacket, Jim James, Bill Bragg, Neutral Milk Hotel, Local Natives, Dr. Dog...Have fun!

Okay, Yooper...here's what's been in heavy rotation at my house lately:

R.L. Burnside-"A Ass Pocket Full of Whiskey"
Dennis Brown-"Money in My Pocket"
Alabama Shakes-"Boys and Girls"
Warren Zevon-"Hit Somebody (The Hockey Song)" (single)
Phish-10/20/2010 Utica, NY
Drive-by Truckers-any album, we play them constantly
Dexateens-"Hardwire Healing"
Loretta Lynn-"Van Lear Rose"
Jack White-"Blunderbuss"
Plug 1 and Plug 2-"First Serve" this is Pos and Dave from De La Soul with a new album of funky, old school hip hop. F-ing awesome.

Fox Confessor and Middle Cyclone from Neko Case are both amazing.

I can't help with more grunge stuff because I don't care much for it myself. I really enjoy the sounds of Euforquestra. They have a Reggae, Cuban, Afrobeat, Jazz kind of a vibe. I'd like to find more bands with that sound. I don't smoke, but I imagine there are people who would dig that stuff for an after dinner "smoke".

I like classical and hard rock/heavy metal. I'm def checking out Rodrigo y Gabriela's 11:11 album!

You know who I've been listening to like mad, that I think you'd be into?

Neko Case.

The kids adore her, too. She's like their pretend adoptive aunt. This is several months back; Q was taking his sweet time starting to talk, but he was singing plenty.

EDIT: Didn't even see you mention those, Jon! That's two votes for Neko.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, if Bob loves Tool and you hate them, perhaps Maynard's other project Perfect Circle might be better for you. Maynard James was quoted as saying "Perfect Circle has a feminine quality I wanted to explore." This is the guy that advocated LA falling into the Pacific and "do unto others what has been done to you."

My taste in music makes SWMBO gag, but SHE has been listening to a lot of Florence and the Machine, Coco Rosie, and Bob Dylan.

To be fair though, she did come with me to see Sage Francis... thus the whole upcoming wedding thing.

If you want to get a couple yuks and guffaws check out George Watsky's "Kidnap your Boyfriend"

How about the Foo fighters? Main stream but always good to rock to.

The Black Crowes did a collaboration with Jimmy Page. You may be tired of hearing anything zeppelin but believe it or not Chris Robinson does a good job. I'm a big Neil Young fan and always go back to listening to him and led zeppelin.

The only thing that really has impressed me in years has been Jack White. He's done some country and bluegrass collaboration. I'm sure you've heard of him since you're in Michigan and then again maybe don't like him from over promotion. As a musician I think he's great.

some great instrumental stuff that would be great for dinner time:
Explosions in the Sky
Maserati

or for something Harder - Russian Circles

Bill Frisell has some great guitar driven jazz music that would be good dinner music - his tribute album (All we are Saying) to John Lennon is phenomenal

Ryan Bingham is a great one as well - start with his 1st major album, Mescalito
if you like the Crowes check out Marc Ford's solo stuff - It's About Time is a favorite of mine (he produced Bingham's 1st 2 albums)

Pavement is a great band I bet you'd like as well

Spotify has a related artsists function as well if you click on the artist name it will show a few related artists in the upper right - great way to discover some new music

Dinner music: Goat Rodeo Session, Dawes, The Civil Wars, tegan and Sara, city and colour, release the sunbird

Post: both Raconteurs albums, Dr Dog, Edward Sharpe, rival sons

+1 on Mumford & Sons

Also, for "harder" stuff, have you heard Rise Against or Disturbed?

I agree current country is lacking, but I do like what I have heard from the Zac Brown band, though I'm not sure it is really country. Derek Trucks is always fun to listen to, my all time favorite though would be Joe Satriani. I could listen to his stuff all day. A Perfect Circle is great and I never could get into tool either. for something on the mellow side I like Fiona Apple and The Cardigans. Incubus is another favorite of mine. All pretty mainstream stuff, I admitedly don't venture too far from the beaten path when it comes to Music.

Joe Satriani Is a genius, but he's pretty much only rock guitar instrumentals. My favorite albums in order:

Flying in a Blue Dream
Dreaming #11 (Live mini-CD with the studio release of The Crush of Love)
Surfing with the Alien
Not of this Earth

And then the rest of them...

Dang it! Now I got Hordes of Locusts stuck in my head!

Oh wait, that's a GOOD thing! ;)

For the harder style of music, I would recommend the Devin Townsend Band (especially his Accelerated Evolution album). Satriani is a legend, so anything he puts out is great. Also check out Fair To Midland (both of their albums are great). For the newer style of Alt Country, I would recommend No Justice, Stoney Larue, and Dirty River Boys (if you can find their album). Also check out Old Crow Medicine Show.

Joe Satriani Is a genius, but he's pretty much only rock guitar instrumentals. My favorite albums in order:

Flying in a Blue Dream
Dreaming #11 (Live mini-CD with the studio release of The Crush of Love)
Surfing with the Alien
Not of this Earth

And then the rest of them...

Dang it! Now I got Hordes of Locusts stuck in my head!

Oh wait, that's a GOOD thing! ;)

Looks like I have a couple of albums to pick up or maybe more. I love Not of this Earth, but my favorite song is Satch Boogie. It's not his most creative or technical, but it just effing rocks.:mug:

Check out Spotify. Satch is on there!

Just got done with Professor Satchafunkilus and the Musterion of Rock. Now I'm playing Strange Beautiful Music.

Interesting to see how his music has evolved over the years.

Also, just remembered I veyr much enjoy listening to Rhonda Larson. She is a virtuoso flautist. Amazing talent and some excellent songwriting on her two albums. She is like the Joe Satriani of flutes.

Check out Distant Mirrors on spotify.

Met her many years ago before I knew who she was on the boat coming back from North Manitou Island.

I've mentioned them before, but Pinback is an underappreciated band with a very unique sound, and a great vibe. Definitely check them out for dinnertime background music.

If you like grunge, listen to some of Silverchair's early stuff, particularly on Frogstomp. They were very talented back then, but have since gone to ****!

Also, I really like Radiohead for background, ambiance music.

And the Stone Temple Pilots used to make good music in the 90s.

Back