Jasmine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheTower

Reaction score
My friend made a Jasmine beer a while back and I wanted to re-create it. He just came back for the holidays from peace corps, and I was able to corner him and get some information on his brew and wanted to get some of your opinions on using this. He said he used a basic hefe kit and added 5.5 g loose jasmine tea to his steeping grains (further reading is causing me to doubt that number).

I've seen reviews and a clone recipe for Elysian's Jasmine IPA, but that doesn't seem to have much jasmine flavor/aroma to it, and I want this brew to really bring out the jasmine. I don't want it to be an afterthought behind the hops.

That being the case, I'm looking at using EdWort's Bavarian Hefeweizen recipe and adding the jasmine as a tea at bottling (make a tea, cool it, and rack beer onto it with the priming sugar). My reasoning is that overheating (boiling) tea extracts tannins the same way that coffee does if its brewed too hot, so I don't want to use it pre-boil.

My jasmine would probably come from dried jasmine flower buds which i can buy by the quarter pound. Based on what I've read/tasted, a little goes a long way, so I was thinking somewhere in the 2-5 oz ballpark. I might just go for it and add a whole quarter pound (4 oz).

Anyone used jasmine in any capacity that might help me get a good balance of flavors?

The only jasmine beer I've had used about 2 gm of dried flowers per gallon. It was added post-ferment. I've also had a lavender beer that used about the same amount.

Back