Jarrylo and Azacca

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirty25

Reaction score
So like many of you I have 4 oz of each of these hops (thanks AHA). Anyone make a IPA recipe with them yet or have any idea how I should use them? I have plenty of other hops to use also (Simco, Columbus, mosaic, citra, Amarillo, chinook, Nelson, el dorado, raku...). what should I do with them?

I have used Azacca. I like it. It has nice tropical fruit notes and very minor citrus note. I don't like it alone but it came out beautifully when combined with Willamette. My beer came out super fruity and just awesome. I think they work better in slightly bigger beers, like IPA strength. Also I think crystal malt pairs well because the sweetness helps bring out the fruity character.

im a big fan of azzaca and liked jaryllo too. Jaryllo wasnt as assertive as I expected. I think, and have read, it goes well in wheats and belgians. Azzaca is great in IPAs, but also works for hoppier belgians if you match it to a fruity belgian yeast.

If you are wanting to use both, I would definitely make a hoppy saison

I have used Azacca. I like it. It has nice tropical fruit notes and very minor citrus note. I don't like it alone but it came out beautifully when combined with Willamette. My beer came out super fruity and just awesome. I think they work better in slightly bigger beers, like IPA strength. Also I think crystal malt pairs well because the sweetness helps bring out the fruity character.

I agree 100% with this post. If using it solo, use it in a higher gravity beer or with a little crystal to intensify the character. Or use it to complement other tropical type hops (Citra, Mosaic, Galaxy). It's also got a little bit of that earthy/herbal thing going on, comparable to Mosaic, but much less intense.

Had an all-Azacca pale ale and was wonderful. As said upthread it work well with sweeter pale ales.

Maybe a Rye IPA would be interesting!

7.2 lbs US 2 row
4 lbs rye malt
.5lbs carabrown malt
.5lbs crystal
.75 lbs dextrose or candi syrup

IBUs 50ish
Azecca FB
Jarryllo 2 late additions
Azecca WP
Jarryllo/Azecca Dry hop

1056 or 1010 / wlp060 or wlp320

If you are wanting to use both, I would definitely make a hoppy saison

Fully aware that I'm commenting on an old thread, but I am planning on brewing this weekend. That said, say you had 2oz each of Azacca and Jarrylo, and a bunch of high alpha neutral bittering hops, how would you use the Jarrylo and Azacca to a 5.5 gallon batch with an OG of 1.07? I'll be using Belle Saison.

Thanks.

Very carefully. I tried making a hoppy saison with them, and forgot where I was at in my additions, and accidentally doubled up on my hop additions making a belle saison IPA ish beer. It was okay, but nlt my favorite. I recently used Azacca for the late additions in an IPA along with a couple other hops, and it was fantastic. I think they'd work great for late additions or even hop bursting a saison. The one thing I learned from my screw up was that the aroma of these two together was pretty great.

I recently did a SMaSH (target F.G. was 1.055 and target IBU was 45) with MO and Jarrylo I had lying around. Let's just say I won't be doing that again. The Jarrylo is dank as an aroma/flavor addition. If I were to use Jarrylo again I'd just use it as a bitter hop.

Here's my plan:

5.5 Gallons
OG Est 1.070
FG Est 1.002

● 10lb 2 Row
● 2lb White Wheat
● 0.5lb Victory

Mash @ 148° F

● 0.25oz Warrior @ 60
● 0.50oz Jarrylo @ 10
● 0.50oz Azacca @ 10
● 0.50oz Jarrylo @ FO - 20 minute steep
● 0.50oz Azacca @ FO - 20 minute steep
● 1oz each Jarrylo & Azacca - Dry Hop for 4 days

Danstar Bell Saison - Pitch at @ 66° F and let free-rise for 10 days

Any thoughts on the hop additions? The 2 Row and Wheat is already mixed, and I'm tossing in some leftover Victory for color and a little toastiness.

I am just wrapping up an IPA with Citra, Azacca and Denali. Not sure which is bringing more to the table between the three, but there is a very juicy tropical citrus amroma and flavor. I think all three worked really well together.

Latest posts

Back