It's All Foam!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonT

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, not sure what's happening here... went to take a gravity reading out of the Flex+ and it came out all foam.
The beer is a hazy fermented with Voss. I pitched it Sunday afternoon at 82F and let it go for 48h.It pushed out a full keg of starsan and I stuck a spund on it and set it to 15psi. Gravity was at 1.030, SG was 75.
I took the gravity reading before I put the spund on it and was normal. Now it comes out all foam.
20230426_175229.jpg

By spunding at 15 PSI, you've partially carbonated the beer.

Then, when you took a sample, it came flying out under 15 PSI of headspace pressure, with very little resistance (no beer line), resulting in a too fast "pour" and thus foam. Or, if you only partially opened the sample valve, you "sprayed" the beer through a tiny, turbulent orifice.

That! ^
Plus the beer is warm, it cannot hold onto (much) dissolved CO2, even less when the pressure drops.

By spunding at 15 PSI, you've partially carbonated the beer.

Then, when you took a sample, it came flying out under 15 PSI of headspace pressure, with very little resistance (no beer line), resulting in a too fast "pour" and thus foam. Or, if you only partially opened the sample valve, you "sprayed" the beer through a tiny, turbulent orifice.

Yeah... that makes sense. I had visions of a fermenter full of foam...lol.

Thanks for the common sense!

Back