Italian Floor corker worn out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaimesBeam

Reaction score
I have an Italian Floor Corker that I've had for ten years. Lately I've been having problems with it. It chews up the top of the cork or doesn't push the
Cork down all way into the bottle. I bought it and my corks from BSG; run of
The mill #9 corks for 750ml wine bottles. It helps a little if I put the corks in
wet with StarSan, but does solve the problem.

I've taken it apart a couple of times it clean it out. It's a little rusty from getting
Damp over the years. What can I repaint the inside with? Should I ream out
The orifice on the bottom just a little bit? Should I buy a new corker, or are the
The corks just getting crappier? I've bottled maybe 1000 gallons with it.

Thanks, Jim

I would try applying a very small amount of food grade lube to the brass jaws. Also there is a nut to adjust how far down the cork goes in. Sometimes I have to play with that to get the corks to seat just right. Do you have pictures of what the badly corked bottles look like?

Here are some pictures of the corks. The center of the cork is compressed
So much that it detaches from the cork around it. I don't think it's
An adjustment issue.

Thanks, Jim

image.jpg

I don't see any headspace in your bottle between cork and wine. That may likely be the problem (then again, it may just be that I can't quite see well enough from the pictures). You should have some headspace between cork and wine.

Correct sized bottle neck for the corks? Are you using a smaller wine bottle? A few of those have necks that only fit a size 8 cork. It sure looks like the corker tried to force a big cork in a small hole and when the neck was full it spilled out and broke.
Does the corker break the corkes with reg wine bottles?

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

I'd check the brake that locks the base in place; if there's a gap between the corker and bottle then corks can stall with a little hanging out of the neck.

I find that if the corks have been exposed to air for any length of time, they become very hard or stale.
Have you tried using a "corkidor" prior to bottling, this will help if the corks have dried out and aren't as fresh, I heat up water to just below the boiling point, I put it in a small container, inside a larger container (you can add meta if you'd like) and place the corks around it, and I put a lid on it sealing in the steam/moisture; the corks become softer and slid into the bottles easily.
There should be a nut on the corker, on the bolt that pushes the corks into the bottles, you can adjust the depth that you want the cork to be pushed in by adjusting the nut.

I hope that this helps.

A new corker solved the problem. My usual meth is to
Throw the corks into my pitcher of Star-San, pull them out
And let them drip dry a few minutes before I use them.

Anybody want a used corker, cheap? :)

Jim

I am now having the same problems with my second Italian Floor Corker. I am guessing that the springs in the jaws that compress the cork are getting tired. I don't know if it is possible to stretch the springs to give them their spring back, or insert a shim (penny?) behind the spring to give them more force?

Totally new, just created a post about cork size, was recommended by Blacksmith #8 for 750ml... You stated #9. The jury is out on cork soakers, but I did find a funny video I will share.
Forgive the first ad, as usual.

Latest posts

Back