Modifying an Italian Floor Corker for Champagne Corks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Solomon

Reaction score
Am about to bottle two batches of sours and thought I would use cage and cork.

Bought a used Italian Floor Corker without doing enough research and it ends up this appears to only do wine corks. The jaws open plenty for a champagne cork, it’s just the hole under the jaws are too small.

Anyone ever modify one of these to get it to do champagne corks? Appears I can just enlarge the hole, but thought I would check with you guys first.

Thanks!

-Mark

Exactly which corker do you have? I do cork and cage with my Italian floor corker and it works just fine.

edit - sorry, my bad; mine is a Portuguese floor corker

Looks just like mine except for the color, but the photo doesn't show the hole that you say is too small. The opening on mine is about 13/16".

Am about to bottle two batches of sours and thought I would use cage and cork.

Bought a used Italian Floor Corker without doing enough research and it ends up this appears to only do wine corks. The jaws open plenty for a champagne cork, it’s just the hole under the jaws are too small.

Anyone ever modify one of these to get it to do champagne corks? Appears I can just enlarge the hole, but thought I would check with you guys first.

Thanks!

-Mark
Explain how you determined that the hole below the aperture jaws is too small for beer corks. What happens if you put a bottle in place and try pushing a cork in? You do have to rig up a way to stop the plunger from going all the way down and I often do that by duct taping a stack of washers on the upper side of the plunger. When the cork is sticking out of the bottle by about 3/4", it does take a little pull and wiggle to get that uncompressed cork through the bottom.

I am able to use the portugese style floor corker for sparkling, champagne, mushroom style half in corking in 750ml bottles, #9 natural champagne corks, northamerican size opening sparkling wine bottle with punt and cork+crown (both together) opening with one simple trick. I put in the bottle as usual. I push the cork half way in (using a depth screw adjustment on the lever). Then the cork seems stuck in the too small opening...... I lift the lever *all the way back up. I put my foot on the platform the bottle sits on. I step down gently to push the platform down and away from the bottle. I hold the bottle with left hand. Press down a second time with the lever to compress and push the half way cork out through the too small opening*. Seems simple. It's a little tricky as you're standing on one foot. you do have to wrench it with some strength on mine. But no modifications necessary. Took me a while to figure out. before I was trying to wiggle it out the bottom and tearing many of the corks.

I fitted a bigger bell and bought champagne size crown caps to match.
Much less faff and no cork issues with beer or wine, still or sparkling.

Back