Rust on floor corker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skierdogs

Reaction score
I have a Portuguese Floor Wine Corker which I've had for a little less than 10 years. Over the years I've bottle 700+ bottles of wine with it. Yesterday I bottled 30 bottles of wine and afterward decided to take apart the corker and clean it, I had never taken it apart before. I discovered some rust on the inside, see picture, among a some other "gunk" that I cleaned out. So I've cleaned it and let it dry out well and I was wondering what do I do now? Can I repaint it? If I repaint it is there a "food safe' paint I have to use? Or do I just leave it as is and continue using it? Will the rust get into the wine?

I know that's a lot of question so thank you in advance
20201013_083117.jpg

Drill 2 weep holes at 3 and 9 o'clock, 1/8" is plenty if you chamfer both sides of holes, that way you can rinse with jot water then sulfite and cold water set at angle that water will drain out and stuff a paper towel in the cork pocket.

Drill 2 weep holes at 3 and 9 o'clock, 1/8" is plenty if you chamfer both sides of holes, that way you can rinse with jot water then sulfite and cold water set at angle that water will drain out and stuff a paper towel in the cork pocket.

great ideal, I'll drill those weep holes to try and keep stuff from building up on there.

Back