is yeast too old?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

medixlux

Reaction score
hey guys need some help regarding my next brew using wyeast London ale III 1318.
I just realized that the mfg date is 01/11/2018.
do I still have a chance to brew with it? my next brew gravity is at 1.048.
thanks

Yes. Make a starter for best practice, but even without a starter, I'm sure it will be fine.

They are supposed to be good for 6 months. I would expect a few extra esters if used without a starter but depending on what you're brewing that might be fine. If your looking for cleaner fermentation you should do a starter.

yes I was planning on making a starter but beersmith says I should use 2 packs for 1 liter of wort. I only have one pack. should I do a 2 liter starter?
thanks for the quick replies

hey guys need some help regarding my next brew using wyeast London ale III 1318.
I just realized that the mfg date is 01/11/2018.
do I still have a chance to brew with it? my next brew gravity is at 1.048.
thanks
According to the Brew United calculator a 1 liter starter will be sufficient for a brew of 5 gallons.
http://www.brewunited.com/yeast_calculator.php

According to the Brew United calculator a 1 liter starter will be sufficient for a brew of 5 gallons.
http://www.brewunited.com/yeast_calculator.php
If put on a stir plate.
Otherwise 2 liters would be needed with intermittent shaking, and making a step starter would be a better option in that case.
If you overbuild your starter you can save some out to make a starter from for a next brew, and so on.
yes I was planning on making a starter but beersmith says I should use 2 packs for 1 liter of wort. I only have one pack. should I do a 2 liter starter?
thanks for the quick replies

BS will give you the right cell count needed, but I'd ignore the rest. Their starter calculator is too limited.

Usually good for 6 months. However just make a yeast starter.
I have some yeast in my fridge from 2016. I just make a yeast starter very early before brew day and have no problems.

Back