Is this infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajzimme

Reaction score
I've attached a picture.
It has been in the primary for about 3 days. It smells like ... I want to say rotten eggs.

I'm worried about the stuff in the middle there.

IMG_1625.jpg

No. Just some yeast rafts and CO2 bubbling up. Keep the lid on and leave it to do it's thing. It will be happier that way. Relax Don't Worry Yada-Yada-Yada....

I remember my first Hefe stunk up the entire spare bedroom like sulfur. Freaked me out. That was pre temperature control, aside from air conditioning my whole house down to 68F just so the beer would turn out. That was the start of me making really expensive beer. I digress. But yeah, the smell is normal and the photo is definitely normal. Enjoy!

It looks like primary fermentation is finished which is pretty unusual for homebrewer's to experience at day 3. What yeast are you using and how are you controlling the temperature?

It looks like primary fermentation is finished which is pretty unusual for homebrewer's to experience at day 3. What yeast are you using and how are you controlling the temperature?

I didn't reply buddy.

I used a smack pack and I kept it under 70 with cool packs & a towel, and it was in a plastic container.

I want to say it finished fermenting in 48 hrs actually.

I pitched it when it was under 70. I did put yeast nutrients in the wort when it was boiling. Maybe that's why?

I used this one I think:
It was definitely an Irish Ale from Wyeast. I know that much.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003P5RZX2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good to me...my ferm chamber smells terrible with two beers going at the same time...no worries there brew brother...keep the lid on and patience will be a godsend :mug:

Back