Is this cip pump overkill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Below is the spray ball I ordered and the pump I'm considering for my cip cart/corny keg washer. Is the pump to much psi and gpm or not enough? I plan on using a 1.5 tc hose for suction and 1 inch tc hose for discharge. Most spray balls just give a reccomended pressure and not the flow rate. Any pump/sprayball recommendations?

I currently have a spike cf15 and am in the market for a 1bbl unitank, if it were not for spikes proprietary gasket I'd get another spike hands down, but I really hate that gasket.

https://pumpbiz.com/manufacturer/am...-158-gpm/high-pressure-stainless-pump-5539-98

https://www.brewershardware.com/rot...on-with-1-5-flange-mount.html?category_id=312

You'll certainly get it clean. With that pump I'd question if the silicone hoses could withstand the internal pressures more so than the spray ball.

At 700 dollars though, money is no object. Hard pipe it and blast the walls off.

Seriously though, this pump is too much for any homebrew application.

Don't worry about flow rate, CIP balls are very restrictive and will give a relatively small flow rate. What's important is that pressure at the CIP ball is within the recommended range, so you are correct in choosing the high pressure model of that series and not the high flow model. The pump you picked will give you about 42 PSI at the outlet which is just at the lower limit of the CIP ball's recommended range, so I would recommend not to be stingy with the hose diameters and avoid any restrictions so as to have as much as possible of those 42 PSI actually available at the ball's inlet. If you do it right that pump and that CIP ball combined will get your 1bbl tank squeaky clean in no time.

Thanks for the feedback! I plan on buying a 1.5 Tc hose for the pump feed and a 1 inch tc for discharge.

Would u have any recommendations for a pump more suited for the higher psi? Or should I just go with the atm pump?
(The pump in the pic is way to low of pressure)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200424-120822_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200424-120822_Samsung Internet.jpg
    465.3 KB · Views: 18
I have the 20 gal conical fermenter and use a CIP with 3/4 hp sump pump. I have great results (~$100). You can save money here. Also, I use a braided hose. Maybe 1”. Brewers Hardware also has an abundant selection of tri clamp fittings. Female threaded to tri clamp as well. Great stuff and I have several depending on what job I’m doing.

Back