SSBrewTech 3" TC CIP Spray Ball max pressure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawngnomehitman

Reaction score
So I have a 14g unitank, and the cip ball doesn't really do a good enough job for me. I've tried my chugger pump, as well as a 1/3hp sump pump, and neither get the coils clean. I had a bright idea the other night as I lie in bed... I have a pressure washer... and that led me to wonder what the max pressure rating for the CIP ball is? I'd bet that I could buy the correct plumbing to connect the pressure washer to the CIP ball - is there a reason not to try this experiment? I dont' want to destroy anything, i don't want anything blowing up on me, but I'm curious if that'd do it, or if I'm just spraying in the wind here... Anyone with thoughts?

This CIP ball: CIP | 3" TC | Spray Ball - I know it says recommended pressure, I was just wondering what's too much pressure.

The ball lists 29 PSI, your pressure washer is 50-100 times more than that most likely. Perhaps just pressure wash the coil or simply take out and soak the coil, CIP the rest?

Last edited:
I appreciate that it says the recommended pressure is 29psi. I had the idea of "what if" when I thought of how I might clean the coil. it's been soaking in water for a week, I'm just annoyed that even after draining it and immediately circulating 160º PBW through it at 1oz/gallon it still can't get the crap off of the coil. I suppose I've just answered my own question that increasing the pressure isn't going to give the coil visibility to the cleaning stream. I think I'll just pressure wash the coil and CIP the rest of the tank. Thanks!

The PBW label says to use 2-4 oz /gal for really tough stuff. It only says to use 3/4 oz for fermenters though so you are slightly above there. Just checking that you know it is by weight of PBW? I don't have a conical but use PBW (*homemade) on my carboys. I use hot water out of the tap in my homemade carboy washer with spray ball. Usually pretty good but occasionally the ring needs a brush but I also use less in there as it foams a lot at full strength. On my brew rig, I can keep the PBW at 125-150 for the full 30 minutes I recirculate by keeping the BK at ~15% power. My homemade carboy/keg washer doesn't stay hot, still working out how I might do that. I've soaked my immersion chiller before but I always hit it with a brush after soaking. I would think perhaps your coil has parts in the shadow of the spray and maybe just needs a brush. I know some people use a toilet brush for kegs and since I have been looking at conical coils, a toilet brush might be a good shape and size for in between the loops and the middle.

Maybe someone will wander in with a more experienced suggestion. Spike flow only puts out 9.5 psi. There's at least one thread around here that discusses higher pressures for CIP with conicals. I think sump pumps were mentioned but you may have already seen it as you tried that.

Latest posts

Back