Is this all yeast from my harvesting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmoewes

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just finally used my fast fermenter conical for the first time and have a question, though it is more about collecting yeast than the fermenter.

After three weeks, I opened the valve at the bottom and after a bit, well, let's just say it started pooping. Slowly dropping out what I assume was the trub, break and hop material. After that thick gunk came out (about 1 liter), it started flushing out faster so I collected 1000ml (2 500ml bottles) of what came out. I combined those into a single 1 quart mason jar and popped it into the fridge. After 3 days it looks like the attached. So my question is all of that bottom layer yeast? There isn't any other layer below it.

Now when I want to resuse this yeast do I just make a starter and add...some??? all??

Thanks for any help.

yeast.jpg

Sounds like you collected a good amount of yeast. Of course it won't be 100% perfectly clean but it will work like a charm. If I were to use that much slurry I would not make a started. You will find that the fermentation will be quite vigorous and you should put a blow off tube on from the word go. Let it sit in the fridge until you use it, decant of the liquid and pitch the slurry.

ALSO....if this is new to you, know that the yeast in there can absolutely still be eating so keep the lid on that jar very loose or you may have a nasty slurry bomb in your fridge.

Sounds like you collected a good amount of yeast. Of course it won't be 100% perfectly clean but it will work like a charm. If I were to use that much slurry I would not make a started. You will find that the fermentation will be quite vigorous and you should put a blow off tube on from the word go. Let it sit in the fridge until you use it, decant of the liquid and pitch the slurry.

ALSO....if this is new to you, know that the yeast in there can absolutely still be eating so keep the lid on that jar very loose or you may have a nasty slurry bomb in your fridge.

Very good advice... Be careful if its still eating... I had one explode on me once...

Yes it's basically all the yeast at the bottom and wort on top.
If you're not planning to bring immediately what you should do is carefully pour/siphon off the wort. Then replace that with distilled water to eliminate their food source, forcing them to go dormant to prevent explosion.
Using a rubber lid instead of the metal ones helps with controlling pressure just in case, then you can screw the collar.
Use a yeast calculator (like mrmalty.com) to determine how much slurry you need for the batch you are brewing. Depending on how long you store it you may be best to make a starter from this still so they are young vibrant yeast that you pitch.

Yeast settle to the bottom in somewhat of an "order" - the least attenuating guys will settle first (the laziest), and the most attenuating last (the hungriest if you will). So if you pulled the very first yeast to fall out, then your next beer will be slightly sweeter, or vice versa.

That looks like really good yeast to me, nice job! Conicals sound like a good way of collecting yeast.

Takes me at least 2 washings for me to get yeast that clean, but I usually do 1 and done and live with some trub.

Thanks all for the advice. From maintaining sour dough starters in the past I know the explosive power on a mason jar so the ring is loosened 1/4 turn so the lid can vent.

I'll be using it this weekend or next at the latest. I'm doing a double (partigyle) batch of porter and bitter so it will be good to have yeast ready to go.

So I don't need to do anything in terms of measuring how much of that slurry to use? I'm guessing from the amount of yeast in a smack pack or vial that I have plenty in terms of under pitching, but no need to worry about overpitching?

you do want to measure how much yeast you use, use mr malty to get an idea of how much to use. you don't have to rinse this yeast before use or for storage, best to to just use it as is. you can if you want to but its not necessary.

you do want to measure how much yeast you use, use mr malty to get an idea of how much to use. you don't have to rinse this yeast before use or for storage, best to to just use it as is. you can if you want to but its not necessary.

Thanks!! That was the final piece I needed!!

Back