Is there a way to filter the sediments when filling up the corny keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jumertens

Reaction score
So far I have made 5 gal batches and poured the wort from my turkey fryer into a plastic bucket. I used a carboy as a second fermentor before I filled the corny keg. Now I use a cut open 1/2 barrel as my boiler, make 10 gal batches and drain directly in to carboys. I wanted to see the outcome if I don't use a second fermetor so I used my auto syphon but could not avoid all the sediment while filling the corny keg. Did somebody solve this problem with a filter, a different siphon or should I go back to the second fermentor?

Try placing a sanitized hop bag or paint strainer bag over then end of your siphon, should work pretty well!

Cheers!

There are beer filtration systems that you can use to clarify the beer, but you need a pump or co2 pressure on a sealed keg to force the beer through them.

Your other options are to use a fining like gelatin in the secondary or to just get better at racking.

Try placing a sanitized hop bag or paint strainer bag over then end of your siphon, should work pretty well!

Cheers!

I will try a hop bag, still have a few. Sounds like a good idea. Didn't want to go thru the whole beer filter thing for that. Thanks again

cold crash before you rack - drop the temp close to 32° for a day or two, yeast etc will fall to the bottom. if you dry hop in there it's still a good idea to use a paint strainer bag over the end of the racking cane

Honestly, I don't think sediment in my keg is that big a deal. Of course, siphon carefully to reduce the amount. The first pour may have crud in it, but after a couple it is fine and clear as can be.

cold crash before you rack - drop the temp close to 32° for a day or two, yeast etc will fall to the bottom. if you dry hop in there it's still a good idea to use a paint strainer bag over the end of the racking cane

Cool, another thing I will do. Just got a small second fridge where a 5gal carboy just fits in (after I got the door inside plastic renoved). Perfect to use for that.

Cool, another thing I will do. Just got a small second fridge where a 5gal carboy just fits in (after I got the door inside plastic renoved). Perfect to use for that.

Do the cold crashing and look up Biermuncher's thread on gelatin. Crystal clear beer.

Do the cold crashing and look up Biermuncher's thread on gelatin. Crystal clear beer.

To clear the beer I use Irish Moss and German Cara-Pils Malt (dextrin). It worked very good for my Mother's Ale clone (a beer I found in Alaska, very simular to my Koelsch) as long I used a secondary fermentor before kegging.

How much gelatin do you use for 5/10gal and when do you add it? It doesn't effect the taste of the beer?

+1. make sure you use an ultra-fine nylon hop bags (they typically cost $4-5 each). the cheaper 99 cent cotton bags don't do a very good job.

yeah was looking at my cheap bags and was thinking it's better to buy a paint strainer bag or do you think a ultra fine nylon bag is the better way to go?

Back