Is something wrong here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowpoke

Reaction score
I'm brewing an American Pale Ale and after a week and a half the airlock bubbling had slowed to about 3 -4 /min. When I racked it into the secondary, I allowed a little of the crud on top to get sucked in also, it was only a little and I thought it would settle out. However, it's been over a week and it's not settling. There are only a few bits floating around, some seem suspended halfway between the top and bottom. Anyone have this happen? They are about 3/16" or less in size

It'll be fine, just give it some more time. Sounds like you moved to secondary prematurely though. You really don't need to use a seconday at all, in fact it's better if you don't. Do a search about it.

It'll be fine, just give it some more time. Sounds like you moved to secondary prematurely though. You really don't need to use a seconday at all, in fact it's better if you don't. Do a search about it.

I would agree with the first part for sure. Fermentation is not something you can accurately judge a time for. Remember, RDWHAHB. If it takes longer, so be it. Prematurely stopping a fermentation can cause problems down the road like bottle bombs and such.

However, secondaries have their places in the brewing process. I would argue that it is no better if you use one or not. If anything, a secondary can help avoid thinking fermentation is complete and it not being so. Plus, secondaries help to clear beer and condition. But they are not required.

Thanks for the replies. I felt this might be so, but I'm not above asking for help from those with more experience. I've been using secondaries since my second batch, mainly because of information I garnered here. So be it. From now on, I'll stick with the primary for this type of beer. Again thanks. -Carey

Latest posts

Back