Is my yeast DOA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vesteroid

Reaction score
I ordered a kit from Morebeer and would have sworn I picked add an ice pack to the yeast. however when it arrived there was no ice pack, and I cant find one on my invoice, so I guess I screwed up somehow.

The white yeast heffe tube was about 80 degrees when it arrived, and it was overnight (good thing about living in nv).

I decided to do a one liter starter to make sure the yeast was OK. I got it going around 12 pm yesterday and as of now have seen no fermentation signs, but it is a thick milky cream color now.

I am new to brewing and have only done 3 starters before, but all of those had some foam, and left a scum line so to speak on the inside of the flask.

This one is just thick liquid that is cream colored (I dont mean pudding thick, just maybe watery egg nog thick).

IS this yeast OK to use today, or do I need to run to the local shop and start over for tomorrow?

It seems like it is good. The increase in yeast cells give the wort the creamy look. If you have your starter on a stirplate sometime you will get little to no foaming. On a stirplate you will want to let it go for 18 to 24 hours. With intermittent shaking I would let it go 36 to 48 hours or more.

Yes, I should have mentioned its on a stir plate, but all mine have been on one, hence me being concerned when I didnt see any "foam"

Yes, I should have mentioned its on a stir plate, but all mine have been on one, hence me being concerned when I didnt see any "foam"

In my experience, some will, some won't. Get a flashlight and get real close. Look for tiny bubbles rising through the wort. Real tiny bubbles......

That ice pack would not have prevented your yeast from getting 80°F either. If anything it can stabilize the temps a bit. So does a bag of grain.

Chances are it will be fine. And yes, look for those bubbles. You can leave it on the stir plate for another 12 hours before pitching to make sure it's viable and hopefully grow some more. 1 vial is usually not enough for a 5 gal batch of Hefe anyway.

Back