Is my home brew yeasty, green, or just off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

figurefive

Reaction score
I'll start with the TL,DR then provide more detail for those willing, patient, and interested below.

I received a Northern Brewer One-Gallon kit for Christmas. I have completed four batches: Caribou Slobber Brown, Dead Ringer IPA, Sierra Madre, and Black IPA, and I have a Cream Ale in a secondary fermenter right now. Each one has smelled great at the end of the boil, but has ended up with a kind of tangy or pungent, for lack of a better description, flavor. I'm able to taste glimpses of good flavor underneath this but it definitely overwhelms the overall taste.

Is this just a characteristic of unfiltered, home-brewed beer, am I making a mistake somewhere along the line, or am I just not patient enough in conditioning my brews? I've read so many threads from people who's first batches have turned out awesome, but here I am four batches in and feeling discouraged with my results. Am I at least on the right track?

Details (sorry for the novel, I'm just hoping to preemptively answer most of the questions I see asked in other "what went wrong" threads):

I use water from our refrigerator that uses an activated charcoal cartridge filter. A home test showed no chlorine. I did a further unscientific test. I had made a batch of StarSan with one gallon of tap water in an empty, plastic distilled water jug to have on hand. When I opened it a few days later I got a distinct whiff of chlorine, so I made a separate batch of StarSan using one gallon of water from the refrigerator dispenser. After a week I have found no chlorine smell in that batch. I'm confident our refrigerator filter is taking care of our chlorine, however, would using Campden tablets anyway cause any problems? Since I'm doing one gallon batches (well, I'm now starting with 1.5 gallons filtered water), would a quarter Campden tablet be sufficient? Is it OK to continue making my sanitizer solution with tap water or should I use filtered or add Campden to it?

I brewed the Caribou Slobber basically straight by the instructions that came with the kit. Steeped grains for 10 minutes in 1.25 gallons of water straight from the refrigerator filter dispenser while it was heating up. When the water reached a boil I added all the LME while stirring pretty vigorously, but I didn't take the water off the burner. Hop additions as prescribed in the recipe. Ice bath in the sink to bring down to pitching temp. Sanitized the fermenter, siphon and other equipment while the wort cooled. Siphoned the wort into the fermenter leaving behind the break and trub from the boil. Dry pitched half the packet of yeast and gave it all a vigorous shake for a couple minutes to aerate. Fermented for 2 weeks in a closet that stays around or just under 65F then bottled with Fermenter's Favorites Fizz Drops. Conditioned in the same closet and sampled one at one week, blech. Read about being patient, so I left the rest to condition for another week. At this point I found it drinkable, barely. I chalked it up to perhaps not being much of a fan of brown ale. Newcastle is the only brown ale I've ever had. I find it's OK, but I'm a certified hop-head and much prefer IPA. I held out hope for the Dead Ringer that was already fermenting at this point.

I made some slight modifications to my process with the Dead Ringer. I gathered my water the night before and let it sit to get to room temp naturally. I started the the steep at room temp and applied heat, then followed the recipe. I acquired a hydrometer and took original and final gravity readings (1.056 and 1.012). I hydrated the yeast per what I read in How to Brew before pitching I racked it to a secondary fermenter after one week. Five days later I added a couple drops of Biofine Clear to help floculate the yeast and clarify. I bottled two days later after two weeks total fermentation. I made a priming solution with brown sugar calculated from NB's site (we actually didn't have any granulated in the house). I let it condition for three weeks in the same fermenting closet again. It came out noticeably better than the Caribou Slobber, but there was still that slight pungent flavor on top of the more hoppy IPA. It just didn't taste clean.

For both the Sierra Madre and Black IPA I added another couple wrinkles. Having acquired a decent digital thermometer I brought the water up to 150F before beginning the 10 minute steep. I used 1.5 gallons of water because I found I boiled off more than .25 in the prior batches and had to top off to reach a full gallon in the fermenter each time. Once the water reached a boil I took it off the heat to add the LME. I also used some of the hot wort to rinse out the plastic jar and get all of the LME into the pot. Once it returned to a boil I started the 45 minute clock. I added about 1/3 cup of brown sugar to the Sierra Madre at the end of the boil to boost the gravity a little (brewed this the same day I bottled the Dead Ringer). I tried to whirlpool the wort with a stirring spoon after it cooled, but the trub didn't seem any different in the bottom than the prior batches where I didn't whirlpool. I acquired a refractometer so I could take readings while fermenting - not feasible with a hydrometer on a one gallon batch. With the Sierra Madre I made the mistake of not fully understanding how a refractometer works and that the alcohol will skew the reading. After three weeks fermenting and the refractometer showing a ~1.020 (1.060 O.G.), I thought my fermentation had stalled. Winter had hit hard, and we had some unusually cold weather. I guessed our closet had gotten too cold. I had added liquid crystal fermometers to the fermenters and they were reading about 62F which seemed low to me. I brought the fermenters out into a corner of the dining room wrapped in a towel to block the light. I pitched a little more yeast (~1/4 packet) into the Sierra Madre hoping to restart what I mistakenly thought was a stalled fermentation and left it for another week - 4 weeks total fermentation. I did not make the same mistake with the Black IPA. I used NB's refractometer calculator to determine that based on my original brix and O.G. readings, the ~1.020 actually meant about a 1.012. I fermented it a total of three weeks. Both of these saw primary only - I didn't rack them to secondary. I added some Biofine clear and cold crashed them in our refrigerator for 2 days (not ideal, but it's all I have). I used corn sugar to create the priming solution for them and was more careful in bottling, ensuring a more consistent fill level across all the bottles. They've been conditioning for 18 days in closed boxes sitting on top of our kitchen cupboards. Our home stays a pretty consistent 65-68F though the kitchen will get a few degrees warmer when we cook. I chilled one of each in the freezer for about an hour last night to sample them (do they need to chill longer as part of the conditioning?). The Sierra Madre was OK but had the same pungent flavor on top. It may be milder than the prior batches. My wife, who doesn't like beer, said it didn't taste much different from any other beer she's had. The Black IPA is similar. I can taste the roasted maltiness from the darker steeping grains (my wife said it had a Guinness-like taste) and more hop, but there is still that pungent top flavor there.

With the Cream Ale that is currently fermenting I started the same as the Sierra Madre and Black IPA. However, I started the boil with just 1/3 of the DME the kit came with and added the rest after 30 mins. hoping to keep the color on the lighter side as a Cream Ale should be. I can already tell it's not going to be anywhere near as light as depicted on the NB site, but at the end of the day I'm not as concerned about color as I am about flavor. I don't know if it's a difference between DME and LME or in the late addition I did with the DME, but I had a harder time getting the break to settle out when cooling this wort. I ended up getting most of the trub in to the fermeter. As a result I racked it to secondary after one week. Otherwise, I've left this one alone in our coat closet (warmer than the bedroom closet I used previously, but not as warm as the rest of the house). It has settled down to about 62F now after hovering in the upper 60s during primary fermentation. I haven't been sampling it with the refractometer like I did with the SM and Black IPA. At the start of fermentation it bubbled over a bit into the three piece airlock, but not all the way out. I swapped to a clean airlock with some fresh diluted StarSan solution. If some of the original StarSan solution made it into the fermeting beer is that going to kill it? At this point it looks really clear, so I'm hopeful yet again. It has been fermenting 16 days now. I'm going to wait until at least 21 days total if not more this time around.

it sounds like a yeast wang to me. are they all using the same yeast? years ago it used to be common in a lot of dried yeasts. pitching temp could cause yeast wang too. make sure you are down in the low 70's or less. i haven't used dried yeast in years but lots of folks on here report that the safale 05 is a good one and i plan on using it next weekend.

^What blackbeer said^

Check your yeast, if its the same one it could be the culprit. S05 is good yeast to start with. When you ferment in your closet, do you have a water bath to keep temperature stable? If not, you should consider using a water bath so the internal fermenter temperature is more or less equal to the water surrounding it. At room temperature, the inside can be much higher (+5F) so check that out.

Also, make sure everything is clean and sanitized

it sounds like a yeast wang to me. are they all using the same yeast? years ago it used to be common in a lot of dried yeasts. pitching temp could cause yeast wang too. make sure you are down in the low 70's or less. i haven't used dried yeast in years but lots of folks on here report that the safale 05 is a good one and i plan on using it next weekend.

All five of the brews I've done so far came with Safale-05. All were pitched at or below 70F. After the first two batches I started storing my yeast packets in the fridge. I take a packet out at the start of my brew day to let it get to room temp before rehydrating. When I started rehydrating instead of pitching dry I rehydrated into ~90F water that had been boiled.

I have a Red Ale kit on the shelf that came with something different. A Nottingham strain I believe.

Just some basic comments on what might be causing the off flavor.

Can you rule out any of the off flavors coming from cleaning products?

Brown sugar is flavored with molasses. This could be part of your off flavor.

You might have chlorine and chloramines left in your water. The ammonia in the chloramine could be part of your off flavor.

An area that has an ambient temperature of 62°F is a good place for a fermentor with out temperature control. Fermentation produces heat. The wort will be warmer than the ambient temperature.

Bottle condition for at least three weeks, and then three days of refrigeration, before tasting. Caribou Slobber, 5 weeks. Dead Ringer 5 weeks.

Buy a few gallons of RO or spring water for your next brews. This will rule out the off flavors coming from the brewing water and sanitizing solution.

All five of the brews I've done so far came with Safale-05. All were pitched at or below 70F. After the first two batches I started storing my yeast packets in the fridge. I take a packet out at the start of my brew day to let it get to room temp before rehydrating. When I started rehydrating instead of pitching dry I rehydrated into ~90F water that had been boiled.

I have a Red Ale kit on the shelf that came with something different. A Nottingham strain I believe.

Keep your wort at 65° to 68°F when using US-05. In some beers that are not moderately to highly hopped, a peach flavor will be noticeable when fermentation is below 65°F.

^What blackbeer said^

Check your yeast, if its the same one it could be the culprit. S05 is good yeast to start with. When you ferment in your closet, do you have a water bath to keep temperature stable? If not, you should consider using a water bath so the internal fermenter temperature is more or less equal to the water surrounding it. At room temperature, the inside can be much higher (+5F) so check that out.

Also, make sure everything is clean and sanitized

I haven't been using a water bath. The closets I've used are fairly temperature stable with no HVAC registers in or near them. The highest reading I've seen on the fermometer was ~68F, so I guess that would mean potentially 73F in the fermenting beer.

I'll try a water bath for the next batch, though. I was planning on that come summer as the house will get up to 80 when we're not home. We keep the heat between 65-68 during the cold months, though.

Just some basic comments on what might be causing the off flavor.

Can you rule out any of the off flavors coming from cleaning products?

Brown sugar is flavored with molasses. This could be part of your off flavor.

You might have chlorine and chloramines left in your water. The ammonia in the chloramine could be part of your off flavor.

An area that has an ambient temperature of 62°F is a good place for a fermentor with out temperature control. Fermentation produces heat. The wort will be warmer than the ambient temperature.

Bottle condition for at least three weeks, and then three days of refrigeration, before tasting. Caribou Slobber, 5 weeks. Dead Ringer 5 weeks.

Buy a few gallons of RO or spring water for your next brews. This will rule out the off flavors coming from the brewing water and sanitizing solution.

I'm reasonably confident in my cleaning and sanitation, though I did the first couple batches with the powdered, no-rinse sanitizer that came with the kit. I now have a big bottle of StarSan that I'll be using for future brews

I only used the brown sugar to prime the Dead Ringer and to boost the Sierra Madre. However, the off flavor is the same across the the batches, just to differing degrees. I don't think that's the cause.

The closets I've been using are probably in the low 60s during the winter since they get no direct heated air. I'll have a bigger problem in the summer when they get no cooled air and the house sees 80 degree temps when we're not home and the HVAC is off.

I'm gonna try and be a lot more patient with the fermenting and conditioning going forward. With one gallon batches there's not a lot to work with, so I don't have the luxury of sampling them through the process. I'd really like to dial in my process before stepping up to five gallon batches, though.

I'll use bottled water for my next batch to take that out of the equation.

sounds like you're doing things right. without tasting it, i can't say for sure what it could be but sounds like yeast off-flavors to me. i suggest entering it in a decent HB competition and getting some feedback from the judges. maybe a LHBS could do it as well.

I had the same type of problems before I had temp control. Temperature swings will stress the yeast out. I would pitch yeast at about 63 but once fermentation starts the heat caused from the floculating yeast can heat up to 68-69 (according to the fermometer on the outside of the carboy) which means the contents inside are in the low 70's. Then when fermentation starts to slow the temperature goes back down to mid 60's. It would usually take 1-2 months (sometimes more) of bottle conditioning to condition those flavors out. Once I got temperature control, I didnt have that problem anymore. I never messed with my water and always used corn sugar from NB to carbonate my beers. Without temp control, you need to be very very very patient with your brews. They will be good....eventually.

For the next batch with the Nottingham - you gotta keep the temps low. Low to mid 60s.

I agree with the rest above.

Distilled water, sucrose or corn sugar for priming, and cool/controlled temps. That should get you to a place where you end up digging your brews.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll definitely work up a swamp cooler of some sort for the next batch.

It looks like the Cream Ale I've got going is done fermenting (1 week primary, 2 weeks secondary, 1.052 to 1.006). Is there anything to be gained by leaving it the fermenter longer, or am I better served by bottling it now and conditioning it for 4-5 weeks to complete the cleanup?

No really with 3 weeks of fermenting, it should be cleaned up real well. Next time just let it ferment in primary for at least 2 weeks and then you can rack to secondary if you want.

There has to be several home brew shops in the nashville area I would take a bottle to one and ask him to taste it please and they should be able to point you in the right direction. Then after that you need to thank them and spend some cash there!:mug:

I switched to bottled spring water and it made a noticeable difference for me.

Maybe double up the yeast. Maybe get it off the trub when it hits FG.

Latest posts

Back