Is it degassed yet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCBrewer6

Reaction score
How do I know when my wine is degassed and ready for the fining agent to be added? The instructions that came with my kit say it should be degassed by now but ive noticed (espcially when I stir it) that there is still just a little bit of action in the airlock. Is it safe to add the fining agent? Also, will the fining agent alone be good enough to clear up my wine or do I need to filter still?

A good way to see if it's degassed enough is to pull out a small sample and put it in a glass. Put your hand over it and shake it. If it's bubbly, it's not degassed enough.

Once it'd degassed enough, the finings will do the trick, and it'll clear right up!

I'm just going by the instructions that came with my kit and its basically just telling me to stir it. I didnt see very many bubbles when i shook it so I added the isokleer and it is now about 16 hours later and there is about 3/4 of an inch built up in the bottom so I think its gonna clear up pretty good

Back