Cloudy wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pete_c

Reaction score
Hello I'm new to wine making. Just made a batch however its cloudy after leaving it 36 hours after adding finings. Guessing the problem it was either it wasn't quite ready or I didn't degass it enough.

My question is if I transfer it to another vessel to remove it away from the sediment could I degass again and leave to settle. Can this batch be saved??
Thanks

First, where in the process is the wine? Second, what did you use for finings? Finally, 36 hours is usually not enough. I use pectic enzyme before primary fermentation, bentonite when I move it to secondary, and I'll add sparkolloid two weeks before bottling. My secondary fermentation goes two months between each racking until the sediment is nearly gone. It typically takes me 4-6 months for each batch of wine.

From what little information we have, I'm fairly sure your wine is okay, it just needs more time.

It's just a 7 day wine kit so wouldnt be sure what the finings are. Not had this issue before though. Fermentation was complete after taking a reading so I'm guessing I didn't degass enough. Is it safe to leave it alone and let it degass naturally ?

Wow, I'd never heard of a 7-day wine kit before, so I googled it. According to the page I found, you probably should let it sit a week.
https://www.brewbitz.com/collections/7-day-wine-kits
If you get bitten by the wine brewing bug and want to try more after this, expect longer fermentation times. It helps if you have two or three wines going at a time so that one's always finishing up.

Thanks for the help I've racked it a couple of times and seems to have cleared now. Problem must have been co2 not removed

First, where in the process is the wine? Second, what did you use for finings? Finally, 36 hours is usually not enough. I use pectic enzyme before primary fermentation, bentonite when I move it to secondary, and I'll add sparkolloid two weeks before bottling. My secondary fermentation goes two months between each racking until the sediment is nearly gone. It typically takes me 4-6 months for each batch of wine.

From what little information we have, I'm fairly sure your wine is okay, it just needs more time.
I agree, I went from 2 carboys a year to 6 due to the habit of opening these too early, I do 2 rackings, 4month then 4 months.Bentonite is a go to at 2nd racking It is worth adding as it made my cloudy diamond crystal clear.

Latest posts

Back