Is Dry Hopping Necessary for Aroma?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwoHeart

TwoHeart
Reaction score
I did an all Columbus PA a couple years back that called for an ounce dry. Instead I dropped it at KO, and was happy with the results.

So, in general, can big hop aroma be achieved with the same amount of hops that would usually be used for dry hopping, but instead dropped at KO?

I'm not so much being a lazy ****er, it's just the least amount of steps I can take to ensure an unspoiled result is what I'm after. Plus dealing with some of the hop residue can be a bit of a pain at times..... So, maybe I am just being a lazy ****er.

Extended whirlpooling after FO at lowered temps (190-160) eeks out more flavor and retains more aroma than in the boil. But for that fragrant in-your-face aroma, nothing beats dry hopping, sometimes as high as 1-3 oz per gallon!

Fermentation CO2 blow off scrubs off aroma from kettle hops. Dry Hopping really can't be replaced.

Also, adding hops at the cooler temps of the fermented keeps volatile aroma compounds that would be driven off in the kettle... Even at whirlpool temps.

I just dropped 4 oz pellets onto my DIPA. If you want that aroma with out the mess use a bag for the hops or some sort of filter when racking

Another way to resolve the CO2 blowoff issue it to ferment in a closed environment, like a keg with a spunding valve. I set mine to 50PSI and it rarely, if ever vents CO2. It is a bit of a PITA and you will have to use screens and whatnot to make it all work, but I think it is totally worth it to get that hoppy aroma and flavor. Best of luck!

Barring any sort of keg hopping, dry hopping when primary is done or in secondary in nylon bags is the best way to get full-bodied aroma.

I do not use bags in primary. I free float them and find that I get better aroma and flavor. You can get the equivalent of dough balls when you put the hops in a container and I find that the pellets do not get saturated, just kinda bloat up and therefore do not impart all their oils to beer. Others find bags/screen containers to work well, but for me I like to free float. YMMV!

Mine get well saturated & broken down to a fine grainy consistency in hop bags in primary. Loose might be a tad better, as they are for me in the boil?

Latest posts

Back