Is dish soap bad to use for cleaning boil kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TkmLinus

Reaction score
I have always scrubbed my kettle with dish soap and hot water to clean it after brewing. Never really thought about it before, but I have seen it suggested to use an alkaline cleanser (PBW) for kettles. Does it really matter? Thoughts?

Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend and enjoyed some tasty homebrew!

I have a bottle of unscented natural dish soap on hand, sometimes I'll use a few drops of that to clean up after scouring my kettle with barkeepers friend to eliminate the white residue that BKF tends to leave. I then rinse thoroughly, using a (non-soapy) sponge to wipe down the surfaces to make sure no soap film remains, then rinse again, because any detergent residue left behind will affect the head retention of the beer.

Last edited:
I use hot water and a designated sponge that never touches soap. As long as you rinse it well you are fine. The only time I use anything is when I make bochet and some of then honey burns on the bottom. Even then I only ever use oxi.

I have a bottle of unscented natural dish soap on hand, sometimes I'll use a few drops of that to clean up after scouring my kettle with barkeepers friend to eliminate the white residue that BKF tends to leave. I then rinse thoroughly, using a (non-soapy) sponge to wipe down the surfaces to make sure no soap film remains, then rinse again, because any detergent residue left behind will affect the head retention of the beer.
Never thought about the head retention, since you mentioned it I realized that my beers do lack head, though they taste just fine. This is most likely the culprit.

Back