ipa?? what do you really think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whalenutz

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
boil 6.5 gal
5.0 into 6.5gal carboy
california V ale yeast starter 1000ml
OG 1.062 shooting for 1.074 but what the hell

12lbs us pale
3.5lbs biscut
1lbs caramel 40
1lbs caramel 60
1lbs caramel 80

mash at 154 for 60 min
mash out 168 for 10 min
sparge 2 gal at 170

2oz magnum 14.5aa at 60 min
2oz magnum 14.5aa at 45
2oz chinook 13aa at 30
worflic tablet at 15
2oz chinook 13aa at 10

i am at work and this is what i have going at home, went crazy had 1.5 gal dead space and still fill blow off resivor with foam and sediment, will post numbers when i get home on what i have, so be nice

That looks like a very VERY heavy beer in all aspects. I don't think I'd call it an IPA, but... what's in a name?

It honestly doesn't look appealing to me, but that's just my opinion. You might love it, or you might not. Either way, you learned something.

unless you like a very bitter beer I hold back it off on the hops a little I aim for 120 IBU your sitting around 150 plus

Yuck, that's what I think. Pick a crystal malt and go with just one pound. I'm not sold on the biscuit either. I've bittered Ipa's with magnum before and they were fine, I would kill the 45 minute addition. Maybe sub 2 pounds of Munich malt for the biscuit. You could experiment with a small amount of biscuit, I use 6oz of victory in a pale recipe, it's similar to biscuit.

unless you like a very bitter beer I hold back it off on the hops a little I aim for 120 IBU your sitting around 150 plus

120... 150... really makes no difference. The human palette pretty much maxes out around 110 IBUs, so anything higher than that all tastes the same.

Yeah, for my tastes it is too much Crystal and way, way too much Biscuit. To me, an IPA should be mostly about the hops with just enough malt to support & balance. This has way too much characterful malt for an IPA, I believe -- probably too much characterful malt for most styles of beer. 20+% biscuit and nearly 20% crystal is an aweful lot.

+1 on too much crystal and biscuit. How about tone down the biscuit to .5 lb and go with just one pound of crystal.

I personally don't see anything wrong with the hop schedule. Hopping the snot out of a IPA is just fine with this dude.

Can't say I'd use Chinook for flavor and aroma, I think of it as a fairly harsh bittering hop. And the grain bill isn't anything like an IPA. But, if you like sweet, bready beers with a raspy hop profile, you've got one.

Back