IPA SMaSH: Grain selection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ntempleton

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm going to make a IPA SMaSH soonish (maybe tonight) and I haven't been able to decide on a base malt. I'm trying to decide on Marris Otter or Vienna.

I'm shooting for a gravity of 1.065, and around 60-65 ibu. I haven't chosen a hop yet, but I'll worry about that later. Fermenting with US-05.

If it where you, which malt would you choose?

Either of those two would be fine. I prefer Maris Otter. Golden Promise would also be great.

Another vote for MO. S-04 is more appropriate for MO but S-05 is definitely not going to suck!

Drinking my Vienna and Centennial smash right now... Vienna is a great malt for smash brews...

Drinking my Vienna and Centennial smash right now... Vienna is a great malt for smash brews...

I did a Vienna + Northern Brewer + S-04. Quite nice.

I'd imagine MO + something like EKG + S-04 would also be nice. Or maybe Willamette instead of the EKG?

Let us know how it turns out!

Dude, go for the gusto and brew an original IPA.

Shoot for an OG of ~1.075; mash a relatively dark traditional floor malt variety on the low side (149-150F)for full attenuation.

Historical records don't get into IBU, just amounts of hops per barrel. The records I'm thinking of had the equivalent of 3 ounces of hops per gallon.

Yes, you read that right. :D

That means don't use something like Simcoe. Use a relatively low-alpha, "English noble" variety like Kent Goldings. Bitter to an appropriate BU:GU ratio (like 1:1) and add the more late, then the rest as dry-hops.

I've brewed IPA like this and I farking HEART it. Try it!

Bob

Going with Crisp Marris Otter. Doing a 5 gallon BIAB batch Thursday afternoon. Thinking 1.065 OG and around 50-60IBU of Glacier. 75-80% for bittering and the rest at flame out. Fermenting with S-04.

I think you are targeting an appropriate BU:GU ratio at 60:65 or 0.92:1 nice and firmly bitter. That said bobbrews and Bob are both giving sound advice in recommending massive aroma and flavor additions for an IPA and more importantly for a SMaSH. Whenever I brew a SMaSH I want to know how a hop bitters, smells, and tastes so I make sure that I'm heavy handed in the later additions so that there is plenty of hop taste and aroma. I even like doing crazier techniques like first wort hopping, hop bursting, and using huge whirlpool additions. My last SMaSH used FWH and a huge whirlpool soak.

Bob said:
Dude, go for the gusto and brew an original IPA.

Shoot for an OG of ~1.075; mash a relatively dark traditional floor malt variety on the low side (149-150F)for full attenuation.

Historical records don't get into IBU, just amounts of hops per barrel. The records I'm thinking of had the equivalent of 3 ounces of hops per gallon.

Yes, you read that right. :D

That means don't use something like Simcoe. Use a relatively low-alpha, "English noble" variety like Kent Goldings. Bitter to an appropriate BU:GU ratio (like 1:1) and add the more late, then the rest as dry-hops.

I've brewed IPA like this and I farking HEART it. Try it!

Bob

This sounds AMAZING. By "relatively dark traditional floor malt variety" what do you mean? MO or darker? And I know you're a British ale fan--what's your favorite hop besides EKG? I've used that but nothing else traditional and would like to broaden my horizons!

This sounds AMAZING. By "relatively dark traditional floor malt variety" what do you mean? MO or darker? And I know you're a British ale fan--what's your favorite hop besides EKG? I've used that but nothing else traditional and would like to broaden my horizons!

I figured he was referring to pale ale malt. Perhaps brown malt?

Magic Hat hI.P.A. is a really good commercial S.M.A.S.H. IPA. It's just Pilsner and Columbus hops. I also +1 to Golden Promise. It's kind of in between Pale and Maris Otter but with a little complexity.

Back