IPA & Pumpkin Ale...on a budget.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atbrown

Reaction score
Disclaimer: This post became a lot longer than expected. Only read if you’re bored….

Okay, so I’ve had some recent changes in my life that has left me on a very tight budget. But quitting brewing beer isn’t high on the list of things I’m willing to give up. Luckily I’ve hoarded some ingredients over the last year or so and am trying to come up with a recipe to brew. Here’s the ingredients I have :

3.1 lbs of liquid pale malt extract (less than a week old in fridge).
1.4 lbs light dry malt extract
A paper bag full of a 2 lb mix of crushed Pilsner 2L and Munich 6L which is then inside of a Ziploc bag. This is roughly 2 months old. I bought it for a recipe than I decided not to make. It’s probably too old, but what the hell.
1.2 lbs dextrose
Misc. household fermentables, including honey, molasses, oats and some leftover pumpkins from Halloween.
1 packet (7 grams) Coopers ale yeast.
22 oz bottle of Stone IPA which I plan on harvesting the yeast from.
And an array of frozen hops as follows:
1oz Glacier 6%, 2oz Perle 9.3%, 1 oz Simcoe 12.2%, 8.2oz Saaz 5.2%, 1.5oz Amarillo 11.2%, 6.7oz Palisade 6.7%, 0.9oz Cascade 8.6%, 0.75 Fuggles 5%.

I currently have a smoked porter in my 6g carboy and an amber cold conditioning in my 5g carboy, which leaves me a 3g carboy, two 1g jugs, and a **** load of growlers to choose from.

This is what I’ve decided to do.

Beer #1 – IPA (3 Gallons)
3.1 lbs pale LME
1.5 lbs of the 2 lb mix of crushed malt
0.5 lb dextrose (I have 1.2 lbs but am afraid of using over 10% dextrose as an adjunct in fear of too dry of a feel. Any thoughts?)
According to my homemade excel calculator (which may be very wrong – but has had fairly accurate ’real-world’ results) the OG is 1.055 for a 3g batch.
The yeast I’ll be using is from a Stone IPA…hopefully. (I just created a starter a few hours ago. I only had one 22 oz bottle so I’m hoping I can build up the yeast count after a couple more wort additions using some of the DME listed above).
I’m open to suggestions regarding my hop schedule, but I’m planning on using the 1 oz Simcoe for the full 60 minute boil, and split the 1.5 oz of Amarillo into (3) 0.5 oz at 45 minutes, 30 minutes, and 15 minutes. Followed by dry hopping with the 0.9 oz of Cascade. My calcs show 50 IBU’s for this. As well as a finished beer of 4 SRM.

Beer #2 – Sweet Pumpkin Ale
(Only producing 1 gallon since this is a huge experiment - I've never used Molasses, Pumpkin, nor Oats before. And besides, all of my other carboys are full).

1 lb Light DME (or what’s left after building the IPA yeast).
The other 0.5 lb of mixed crushed grains.
0.25 lbs Honey (shooting for no more than 10% total).
0.125 lbs Molasses (I’ve heard not to use more than 5% of total).
Pumpkin and Oats which I will mash before adding to wort.
The yeast will be the Coopers 7 grams packet.
For hops, I don’t really care much, but think I’ll use 0.25 oz Glacier for the full 60 minutes and add 0.25 oz of Palisade at 15 minutes left.
I’ll probably add a little bit of cloves & nutmeg also, as well as bake the pumpkin in the oven with a sprinkle of brown sugar.
My calcs for this beer show an OG of 1.069, 34 IBU’s, and 9 SRM, but these neglect the addition of the oats, pumpkin and brown sugar. I would like to darken this beer a bit, but am afraid of adding more molasses than the recommended 5%.

If anyone has actually read this entire thing, feel free to comment. I would love to see if anyone can help create a better recipe without buying anything new. I have at least 4 or 5 days until my IPA yeast has been built up enough to be able to pitch. Thanks.

I do all grain.

I like your thought of doing with what is on hand. I've done the brew in this link a couple different ways:

For #2: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f127/eve-destruction-pumpkin-porter-204586/

There are links to my imageshack.

I would recommend not adding extra water to the pumpkin. Mine came out thin post boil.

My OG was kind of low and the beer is pretty drinkable, but not much kick.

Nothing in your budget for even a little chocolate malt?

...and lastly - maybe consider re-steeping the grains from #1 in #2 "mash".

If you went ahead with his, how is it looking?

Back