IPA Fascination

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OkieTrappist

Reaction score
I hated IPAs before I started brewing. My fascination for the way hops work has changed me and they are now my favorite style. This past week I spent time in the NorthEast and tried 15 or 20 top rated IPAs that I can't get in my state. (Btw "Lunch" by Maine Beer Company is amazing).
So last night I tried 5 IPAs that weren't that great. Drank half of each. My then I poured all of the leftover beer into one big growler. It became a complex, delicious beer that rivals any IPA I've ever had. So, as a brewer, what can I learn from this? Don't be afraid to use many different hops in my IPAs? Complexity is good?

I feel ya... Had the same issue years ago. Was vehemently anti-IPA until I had Bell's Two Hearted ale. Then I tried Lagunitas' A Lil Sumpin Sumpin, followed by Hoppyum and DFH's 90 minute IPA.

My opinion has changed 180°!

One of the best IPA's I've brewed was a "clean-up" recipe to clear out a bunch of 1-2oz left over bags of hops in my freezer. IIRC, that recipe had 8 or 9 different hop verities in the flavor additions/dry hops. It was wonderfully complex.

I absolutely loved my first IPA. That's what got me into craft beer (pumpkin ale is what got me into homebrewing). I was at a restaurant and micro brewry CB & Potts. I tried their "Big Red" IPA. It was very piney. I remember telling my family I was with that day that it was like drinking Christmas. Loved IPAs ever since. I have a 5 gallon batch fermenting away as we speak.

Echoing the sentiments of the OP. I find IPAs very hit-and-miss. Used to hate them before I started brewing because more often than not they just weren't enjoyable, usually some nasty lingering aftertaste that I can't see how anyone would like.

Since then I have had a few great ones and I now get why they are so popular. Everything about them is amazing when it's done just right.

When I move into brewing IPAs I'm going to do a few 1 gallon batches first and take the time to find a recipe that I like. It would be a real struggle to have to drink a full batch of IPA that wasn't to my liking. Also not a cheap style to brew so it needs to be pretty good to justify the cost.

I have always loved IPA's. It is my preferred style to drink, though Weissbier is a very close second. I do occasionally come across an IPA I don't care for as well. I prefer a more citrus/floral IPA as opposed to piney. My first attempt at brewing an IPA was a dismal failure...it was a dumper. Today I brewed another attempt at an IPA with 14oz of hops. Hoping it tastes as good as it smells when it is done.

I think it's more a case of hop pairings that work well together and how they're used, rather than the more hop varieties you use the better. I typically don't use more than three, usually because I'd like each to have a discernible presence.

I've always liked IPAs, but I didn't love them at first. I don't remember what the first IPA I ever had was, but it was 100 IBUs and something like 8% alcohol. My friend bought it for me. I remember liking it, but thinking it was BY FAR the most bitter beer I had ever had (and it definitely was). I think of the extreme side of IPAs as being somewhat of an acquired taste, but an acquired taste that you grow to love once you have enough. I think I didn't have any IPAs for about a year after my first IPA (because they virtually didn't exist where I lived at the time), but the next one I had was much much better. I can't remember which IPA I had it was that made me go from "liking" them to "loving" them, but it was definitely a West Coast IPA (while most of the first IPAs I had were East Coast IPAs).

It wasn't until I moved to California that I really became almost obsessed with IPAs and they basically became one of my top 3 favorite beer styles. It's definitely the beer style I brew the most now and maybe tied with just "sour beers" (lambics, Flemish red ales, all-brett ales, American wild ales, Berliner Weisse, Goses, etc.) as the style of commercial beers I buy the most.

I love the Belgian style IPA. It just has another complexity to it .If you get a chance to try devils backbone cattywompus do it

I hate IPAs. No offense to those who love them. I've tried several commercial, craft, microbrew and Homebrewed examples. It's just not my cup of tea to taste nothing but bitter hops and have a headache the next day. I enjoy almost all other styles of beer and brew every example I can think of. Occasionally I'll try a hop forward style but it's just not for me.

WooPig - Belgians like Rochefort and Westmalle are what got me into brewing. I think I'll try a Belgian IPA next. I guess just use candi syrup and Belgian yeast and hop it up!

Sadu - I started doing IPAs similarly. 2-gallon bucket, 1.5 gal batches. Figured out quickly that 3 lb of DME was too much for that size. Friends who liked IPAs liked them, but too sweet and malty - hops were hidden.

Cat Daddy - I love the 90 min IPA. Had it for the first time last week.

Thanks for the input and replies!

I quite like IPA and there are lots of them in the UK but I feel I'm probably missing out by not being able to get fresh bottles from the states.

I tend to go for malt or yeast driven beers. Belgian, French or English strong ales.

I absolutely loved my first IPA. That's what got me into craft beer (pumpkin ale is what got me into homebrewing). I was at a restaurant and micro brewry CB & Potts. I tried their "Big Red" IPA.

Whoa whoa whoa! Potts got you into craft beer?!? Amazing.

I grew up in and around FTC, and Potts was always the red headed stepchild to New Belgium and Odell's.....heck, even Coopersmiths.... And I spent a year in Belgium!

Really?!? Potts? Potts?!?!?!?!?! Amazing. Miracles never cease. ;) :)

To be true to topic though, I also was never a huge IPA guy. Liked them on occasion, usually way to hoppy. I still seek heavenly balance, but I do appreciate the more bitter beers now that I've started brewing. There's a bit of scales falling from eyes going on (more miracles, I suppose).

Just tapped a homemade Red IPA. Impromptu recipe based on LHBS availability out here in the wilds. Turned out great. Turns out, it's a local, and personal, favorite. Inspiration comes from great places.

But really....... Potts?!?!? :)

WooPig - Belgians like Rochefort and Westmalle are what got me into brewing. I think I'll try a Belgian IPA next. I guess just use candi syrup and Belgian yeast and hop it up!

Sadu - I started doing IPAs similarly. 2-gallon bucket, 1.5 gal batches. Figured out quickly that 3 lb of DME was too much for that size. Friends who liked IPAs liked them, but too sweet and malty - hops were hidden.

Cat Daddy - I love the 90 min IPA. Had it for the first time last week.

Thanks for the input and replies!

I know there's a raging ***** clone. I have never tried it .

I was not a fan of IPAs for a long time...I think I first tried a few during the "IBU Wars" and they really were not what I wanted to drink...pure bitterness. Then one day a bud of mine says I have a Heady Topper to share with you...I was like, not interested bud, but not to hurt your feelings I will drink your swill and return to my Belgian Quad. Well, that was the day I started dreaming of brewing IPAs and I have made many of them over the years. Currently working on the New England style (yeah, I know it isn't an official style) IPA and IIPA and loving the journey! I have brewed a lot of spot on clones of Pliney or ZD or the like and now am working on Trillium and Tree House and Tired Hands clones. Can't seem to nail the local OTWOA clone, but will keep trying that too. I think hoppy got redefined, for the better! Aroma and flavor vice pure bitterness!

I like IPAs as well as many other styles. What bothers me recently is that when I want to get a couple of craft brews at the store I have to wade through tons of IPAs to find a couple of other styles. There are also too many raspberry, grapefruit, blueberry pale ales etc. this time of year. I don't care for them, usually, so I am afraid to try them.

This thread started with a very interesting question: Could we improve our IPAs by including more varieties of hops?

Although its great to read who started liking IPAs, and when/how, the question above needs better answering. I've been afraid to muddle my hops, and I've been afraid to use only one hop (except NB in my Steam). I fear I'm a fearful brewer, and that makes me afraid. Who among us has been bold enough to dump in a bunch of different varieties -- just to see what will happen. ...and what happened?

I think there are a several examples of great IPAs that use a lot of hops, Enjoy By being one that I think has done a great job of finding the right mix, though they miss the mark from time to time. In general, I use at least 3 hops per IPA. One of the local DC homebrewers did a study and found that brewers are using >4 hops per IPA on average. I think there are some well known hop pairings that work well that many brewers are using (like Simcoe, Amarillo, Centennial). Don't fear the hops...you got a ton in the freezer so go out on a limb and see what you can come up with!

When I did the four 1.5 gallon brews, each recipe used 2-4 hops, with only a few hops duplicated throughout. At bottling, I dedicated about 12 bottles to mixing. For some I mixed two, some I mixed three, some I mixed all four. Should make for interesting drinking as I crack them open - especially the ones with all four included! Had a good one last night that had two mixed.

Back