Interesting German Brewing PDF

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brian, it sounds like you have explored this to some degree. I am aware of the ability to overdose a Dunkel or Schwartz with teeny amounts of roast. But can you expand on LODO effects on roast flavors in typical UK and American styles?

I recently finished an Am Brown that was brewed LODO and the roast components were too intense for a Brown. And this was a recipe that I've brewed many times. I was going to blame the fault on my switch from Muntons choc malt to Briess dark choc malt, but now have to wonder about the LODO effects.

Can you expand on this?

Martin, I believe that the MRPs and charred compounds present in roasted malt have a high reducing power. Generally speaking, MRPs with a low molecular weight have more intense flavors than MRPs with high molecular weight. Upon oxidation, smaller MRPs can polymerize with one another to form larger MRPs. So what I believe is going on in a regular, oxygen-saturated mash is that the most intensely flavored, low-weight flavor molecules from the roasted malt are effectively getting transformed into larger, duller tasting MRPs via redox. This is presumably happening to a much lesser extent in a low oxygen mash.

I have a feeling that this phenomenon somewhat explains the widespread preference for Sinamar over roasted malt in commercial German breweries, as well as the fact that Guinness is actually mashed as a pale beer, and then gets dosed with a roasted malt extract during the boil.

I'm wondering whether LoDO beers that use roasted malt would be better off with the roast added at vorlauf, or alternatively the roast could be cold steeped to make an extract added during the boil. Of course Sinamar is an option as well.

The pickle seems to be the fact that LoDO roast flavors are cleaner and finer, but too intense at the grist percentages required to hit a dark color. 0.5-1% roast is enough for flavor, but not enough for color. We need to find a way to get both.

Wow, I just spent 3 days working my way through this thread. I'll probably write a text here myself, you've been forewarned.

Firstly, I will say that if nothing else this entire discussion has made me think much more about oxygen intake in all phases. So if nothing else, it convinced me of that. There are definitely many areas of improvement. I've at times been a little more lax with the cold-side handling of the beer, mainly because I've heard oft-repeated on this and many other forums that the effects of low-levels of oxidation take a few months to rear their ugly head. I've not been just sloshing it around or anything, but I've been transferring through a siphon into an open keg, and things of that nature. I've been brewing for about 2 1/2 years now, about a year and a half of that being all-grain. I still ferment in a bucket, and lately if I've had any adjuncts or dry hops to add, been transferring to a carboy with about 100g sugar, in the hopes to scrub out any oxygen intake there. But I force carbonate in the keg, because the thinking was that once I open up the keg there's not much I can do about oxygen making its way in there, and that by force-carbonating it, I can drink it quicker, and therefore the effects won't take hold. I am generally going grain to glass in about 3-4 weeks (depending if it's an ale or a lager). I am, however, making the best beer that I've been making so far. I've started to dial in mineral additions to my water, and been starting to get my recipes to where I want them.

With that said, I know a lot of my beers are suffering from signs of oxidation starting around probably the 4-week mark of being in the keg (so 7-8 week old beer). So my goal is to start getting the cold side to be absolutely LoDO (which will require using a bit of my Christmas money toward), and start working from there.

On the hot side, I'm breaking about every rule possible. To be honest, with my financial situation as it is right now, not all of it can change. Because of reading all these things about HSA not being a problem at the homebrew scale, I've take practically no precautions when it comes to the hot side. I do BIAB in a 36L pot, if I do a 20L batch with a 30-min boil, I don't need to do any sparge. Now it's an average of 0-2C daytime highs here, so brewing outside hasn't been possible for quite some time. Because of that, and the fact that I can't quite find all the materials needed to build a vent hood that would also be a condensate stack, I have to split it into two boils. Here are some improvements I could possibly take:

- I don't use SMBS (or however that is - Na2S2O5). So I could start using that. One major issue I have here is that they only sell PMBS (K2S2O5) at my LHBS. I'm heading to the states for Christmas so I can pick some up, but eventually that will run out.

- I need to find a proper adapter for my water hose to fill my kettle from my sink inside. Until then I've been filling up a smaller pot twice, and just pouring it in at the top of the BK (splashing and all).

- My #1 goal when mashing in has always been avoiding dough balls. So I've been using a whisk and pour the grains onto that while I whip up the top layer vigorously. I can stop doing that. Plus I could pour the grains into the bag before hand and slowly and gently lower it in. Still worried about dough balls here, but I'll at least trust the experience and suggestions from others doing this. Also, because BIAB grain has been crushed at the LHBS at a tighter gap. First question:

1) Nothing I can do at the moment to solve it being crushed at the store, but should I just be going for a typical crush?

- I do fill up the kettle pretty much to the top already, and I have a lid that sits down inside the kettle a bit. I believe this is just as good as some of the pictures of the mash caps I've been seeing.

- I have been stirring 4 times during the mash. I just recently got a pH meter and am still working in dialing in my pH predictions, so I've been measuring them 4 times to be able to see the changes. I've been stirring in order to get a more "reliable" pH reading, and also because I've heard that with full-volume mashes, this could help with saccharification. Not sure if this makes a gigantic deal breaker (though from the phrasing of some of the extreme LoDOs here, they'd probably dump out the batch). So next question pops up here.

2) how are the full-volume mashers experiencing their conversion rates? I already for some reason don't have the greatest mash efficiency, so it'd suck to take a major hit here. I've seen about a 3-4% increase just from doing this.

- After the mash is done, before I'd just pull the bag out and let it drain while the boil gets going. Now I pull the bag out and let it drain. If I'm just having a relaxed brew day, I'll literally just get on to some other task while it drips practically dry. If I'm constrained for time, or just feeling impatient, I'll squeeze the hell out of the bag. I generally try to brew on a relaxed day off, so slowly letting the bag drain with no splashing or dripping isn't a problem most of the time. Question number 2:

3) Isn't this long time with some surface area exposed to air allowing in quite a bit of oxygen?

- After that's done I've been draining into the smaller pot used earlier (20L) in order to do the boil. I've just been using the ball valve and another little metal tube in order to transfer, generally against the side of the pot, but never cared much if it splashed. I can probably change this up for pretty cheap in order to ensure that I can gently fill from the bottom. At the moment, I have to do the boil on the stove-top, but honestly have really only been getting a soft rolling boil anyways. Fourth question:

4) The water at the beginning is meant to be boiled (for 15 minutes?), but for some reason here we don't want a strong boil. What's the difference? Why would the first one drive out oxygen and the second one encourage its uptake?

- Time to quickly chill the wort quickly with our 8C water. Again, until I get the sink adapter, I've just been doing a tap-water bath in the sink. But I only have a copper IC. The IC would chill the wort to pitching temps for ales (17c) in 4-5 minutes right now, probably 7-8 minutes for lagers (10c). But, the ice bath takes significantly more time than that - about 20 mins for ales. I also stir constantly throughout the chill time, going smoothly and calmly at first, and more vigorously once I don't see any more steam coming off (approximately 50C)

5) Would the trade off of submersing the IC for a much shorter time be worth the amount of time that the wort is exposed to oxygen while cooling? Or should I just stick with an ice bath and put the lid on the pot? Not possible at this point for me to buy a SS IC.

- Time to oxygenate the wort! Pour the wort into the bucket from a height and let it splash around, then pull out the whisk that I used to vigorously mash in and to vigorously aerate while chilling (put it the pot at the end of the boil to sanitize) to stir it up some more! This time the yeast has been added already.

6) I won't be buying any kind of oxygenation equipment for a very, very long time. On this step should I just wait to do the whisking until I've poured the yeast in?

- Ferment in a bucket. Check it after it's seemingly had enough time to reach FG. Generally speaking along the same timelines. Since I keg, I'm only really concerned that it reached my predicted FG or lower. If it's a bit higher I'll let it sit for a couple more days. Then I'll cold crash in the bucket. There's no way for me to start fermenting in kegs, at least not for a very, very long time. The one thing that I've decided I should start doing is fermenting in my PET carboy, and then doing a closed transfer to a purged keg. The one improvement I could start doing here is priming the keg, as it's been shown how much more oxygen is making it in with forced carbonation. My main problem with that is that I have recently started racking the beer on top of the gelatin after I've cold crashed it in the fermenter for 2 days. With quick forced carbonation, this can result in commercial quality clarity in two more days stored cold. Doing this would add at least another week or so (I assume) onto the process, plus waiting for it to clear could result in another 1-2 weeks. Leaving me waiting for up to 5-6 weeks grain to glass. Right now I can get a crisp, clean lager in 3 1/2 weeks with my method. So this would put a major dent in my pipeline!

I'm pretty sure I had many more questions, but now it's gotten awfully late as I've typed this up, and can't seem to remember them.

On that note, I would like to say that if it weren't for some guys like Techbrau and some of the ones who attempted this LoDO method even though they were skeptical, I would left the thread early on and never thought of trying to implement as many of these steps as possible. As you can see, it's nearly impossible for me for the foreseeable future to go completely LoDO according to the PDF and what others have described as their processes. Although I go through my two kegs fairly quickly and don't often start to taste a downtrend toward the end (maybe the last 3 liters or so, if that), I still would like to be able to get better as a brewer altogether and be able to start entering competitions. So I'm looking into some of these things not to really find that "it" factor, but to just gain some longer-term stability in all the styles that I brew.

The problem with the way this method is portrayed, however, is that if you're not a very experienced brewer who happens to just have enough dispensable cash to throw at the hobby, you'll never be able to achieve this perfectly - and if you can't achieve this perfectly, there's no point in trying. The vibe from many of the LoDOs is very unwelcoming, regardless of how others might have seemingly responded to them. You can't possibly have put this out there without thinking there was going to be LOTS of criticism. The responses to criticism come off as haughty, to put it lightly. The entire wording from the beginning comes off as "our process is better than yours. If you can't brew like this, you suck and your beer is piss water." Just look at how many times the LoDOs have mentioned that they would dump beer! It's beer... that you're dumping out... instead of drinking... just because it wasn't absolutely perfect according to German brewery standards that have WAY better equipment and WAY more experience/education! Sure I've dumped beer in my brewing "career" (4 batches out of 59, which is really killer to a perfectionist), but just become something isn't perfect doesn't mean I'll be dumping out PERFECTLY GOOD BEER!

Seriously. It's beer! For most of us on here, this is simply just a hobby. Not everyone has the money or the experience or the time to just be throwing at this thing. So it's one thing for you to respond pridefully to someone criticizing the technique or the lack of more scientific proof without them even giving it a go. It's another thing completely to blow up on someone who genuinely says, "Well this sounds great, but I'll never be able to achieve this goal with my set up." The response to that shouldn't be, "Well this is what it takes to make a non-dumper beer. If you want the best, you gotta spend the money and follow these steps." It should be more along the lines of that maybe there's still a solution out there!

So again thanks to those of you here who are genuinely trying to help and seem really quite humble about this process. I'm willing to try to get much better with my beer, and try to improve it as much as possible - and I'm obviously looking for some help in that. At this time, however, I'll never achieve the perfection described by some here. But I do think I can get pretty damn close, and I, like others, wonder if that won't just improve my beer to a very slight notch below this "it" factor.

I'm going to remake Yooper's oatmeal stout nearly identical to the last batch i made (~1% change to non-roast ingredients and slightly different yeast variety), except it's going to be LoDO this time. It's over 10% "roast" (pale choc, choc and roasted barley). Should have results in about 3-4 weeks.

The HiDO version had really good roast flavors. A touch of chocolate but no harsh coffee or burnt tones. I remember it very well. Hopefully the LoDO version doesn't suck!

We have taken an incremental and easy to follow approach here at http://www.********************. Most of which won't cost you any additional money to do so.

- I don't use SMBS (or however that is - Na2S2O5). So I could start using that. One major issue I have here is that they only sell PMBS (K2S2O5) at my LHBS. I'm heading to the states for Christmas so I can pick some up, but eventually that will run out.

- While Potassium may give you acceptable results, we read instructions that said it can be damaging. So, we used sodium metabisulfite, instead. I believe that was mentioned, somewhere early in this thread. If not, it is in the original paper that was released.

- I need to find a proper adapter for my water hose to fill my kettle from my sink inside. Until then I've been filling up a smaller pot twice, and just pouring it in at the top of the BK (splashing and all).

- I recommend you stop splashing & find a means of gentle transfer.

- My #1 goal when mashing in has always been avoiding dough balls. So I've been using a whisk and pour the grains onto that while I whip up the top layer vigorously. I can stop doing that. Plus I could pour the grains into the bag before hand and slowly and gently lower it in. Still worried about dough balls here, but I'll at least trust the experience and suggestions from others doing this. Also, because BIAB grain has been crushed at the LHBS at a tighter gap. First question:

1) Nothing I can do at the moment to solve it being crushed at the store, but should I just be going for a typical crush?

- I do fill up the kettle pretty much to the top already, and I have a lid that sits down inside the kettle a bit. I believe this is just as good as some of the pictures of the mash caps I've been seeing.

- I have been stirring 4 times during the mash. I just recently got a pH meter and am still working in dialing in my pH predictions, so I've been measuring them 4 times to be able to see the changes. I've been stirring in order to get a more "reliable" pH reading, and also because I've heard that with full-volume mashes, this could help with saccharification. Not sure if this makes a gigantic deal breaker (though from the phrasing of some of the extreme LoDOs here, they'd probably dump out the batch). So next question pops up here.

- Put your whisk in your kitchen & use it for eggs & cream...Not mash.
- Typical crush is fine.
- I use a grain bag, as well. Your first investment should be a pump. With a pump, you can gently/slowly fill your mash tun from below & immerse your grain, without creating dough balls. This eliminates the vast majority of problems & stirring.
- Stop stirring so much...For the most part, leave the mash alone.

2) how are the full-volume mashers experiencing their conversion rates? I already for some reason don't have the greatest mash efficiency, so it'd suck to take a major hit here. I've seen about a 3-4% increase just from doing this.

- After the mash is done, before I'd just pull the bag out and let it drain while the boil gets going. Now I pull the bag out and let it drain. If I'm just having a relaxed brew day, I'll literally just get on to some other task while it drips practically dry. If I'm constrained for time, or just feeling impatient, I'll squeeze the hell out of the bag. I generally try to brew on a relaxed day off, so slowly letting the bag drain with no splashing or dripping isn't a problem most of the time. Question number 2:

- I pump my wort from tun to kettle & see very little conversion difference from what I used to see, with single infusion non-biab.
- After all my losses & whatnot...I believe I'm getting roughly 80+% conversion & 80+% brewhouse efficiency (in English terms) at this point...(64+% total efficiency, for German brewers).
- Don't squeeze the bag & don't be impatient.
- While I don't completely recommend it...If you want to extract more liquid, let the bag sit in your tun, after you have pumped to the kettle & re-pump, once your boil is ready to begin.
There will definitely be oxygen ingress, but this will allow you to recover some losses.

3) Isn't this long time with some surface area exposed to air allowing in quite a bit of oxygen?

Yes.

4) The water at the beginning is meant to be boiled (for 15 minutes?), but for some reason here we don't want a strong boil. What's the difference? Why would the first one drive out oxygen and the second one encourage its uptake?

Water & wort can be treated somewhat differently.
With water, you can boil the hell out of it & have few impacts, aside from hardness changes.
We recommend being gentle with the wort boil, to stop the reactions that heat stress cause. Heat stress can ruin wort, very easily.

- Time to quickly chill the wort quickly with our 8C water. Again, until I get the sink adapter, I've just been doing a tap-water bath in the sink. But I only have a copper IC. The IC would chill the wort to pitching temps for ales (17c) in 4-5 minutes right now, probably 7-8 minutes for lagers (10c). But, the ice bath takes significantly more time than that - about 20 mins for ales. I also stir constantly throughout the chill time, going smoothly and calmly at first, and more vigorously once I don't see any more steam coming off (approximately 50C)

I recommend a stainless chiller, as your second investment, after the pump.

5) Would the trade off of submersing the IC for a much shorter time be worth the amount of time that the wort is exposed to oxygen while cooling? Or should I just stick with an ice bath and put the lid on the pot? Not possible at this point for me to buy a SS IC.

Not sure what to tell you, except "Use the copper, until you can replace it".

- Time to oxygenate the wort! Pour the wort into the bucket from a height and let it splash around, then pull out the whisk that I used to vigorously mash in and to vigorously aerate while chilling (put it the pot at the end of the boil to sanitize) to stir it up some more! This time the yeast has been added already.

- DO NOT AERATE, WHILE WARM.
- Get your wort down to pitching temps.
- Add a vigorously active batch of yeast, with a proper cell count.
- Aerate while your yeast is very active, so they can consume the oxygen, before it reacts with wort's natural anti-oxidents.

6) I won't be buying any kind of oxygenation equipment for a very, very long time. On this step should I just wait to do the whisking until I've poured the yeast in?

If you can get your hands on a cheap aquarium pump & a inline air filter, you're golden.

- Ferment in a bucket. Check it after it's seemingly had enough time to reach FG. Generally speaking along the same timelines. Since I keg, I'm only really concerned that it reached my predicted FG or lower. If it's a bit higher I'll let it sit for a couple more days. Then I'll cold crash in the bucket. There's no way for me to start fermenting in kegs, at least not for a very, very long time. The one thing that I've decided I should start doing is fermenting in my PET carboy, and then doing a closed transfer to a purged keg. The one improvement I could start doing here is priming the keg, as it's been shown how much more oxygen is making it in with forced carbonation. My main problem with that is that I have recently started racking the beer on top of the gelatin after I've cold crashed it in the fermenter for 2 days. With quick forced carbonation, this can result in commercial quality clarity in two more days stored cold. Doing this would add at least another week or so (I assume) onto the process, plus waiting for it to clear could result in another 1-2 weeks. Leaving me waiting for up to 5-6 weeks grain to glass. Right now I can get a crisp, clean lager in 3 1/2 weeks with my method. So this would put a major dent in my pipeline!

I'm pretty sure I had many more questions, but now it's gotten awfully late as I've typed this up, and can't seem to remember them.

On that note, I would like to say that if it weren't for some guys like Techbrau and some of the ones who attempted this LoDO method even though they were skeptical, I would left the thread early on and never thought of trying to implement as many of these steps as possible. As you can see, it's nearly impossible for me for the foreseeable future to go completely LoDO according to the PDF and what others have described as their processes. Although I go through my two kegs fairly quickly and don't often start to taste a downtrend toward the end (maybe the last 3 liters or so, if that), I still would like to be able to get better as a brewer altogether and be able to start entering competitions. So I'm looking into some of these things not to really find that "it" factor, but to just gain some longer-term stability in all the styles that I brew.

The problem with the way this method is portrayed, however, is that if you're not a very experienced brewer who happens to just have enough dispensable cash to throw at the hobby, you'll never be able to achieve this perfectly - and if you can't achieve this perfectly, there's no point in trying. The vibe from many of the LoDOs is very unwelcoming, regardless of how others might have seemingly responded to them. You can't possibly have put this out there without thinking there was going to be LOTS of criticism. The responses to criticism come off as haughty, to put it lightly. The entire wording from the beginning comes off as "our process is better than yours. If you can't brew like this, you suck and your beer is piss water." Just look at how many times the LoDOs have mentioned that they would dump beer! It's beer... that you're dumping out... instead of drinking... just because it wasn't absolutely perfect according to German brewery standards that have WAY better equipment and WAY more experience/education! Sure I've dumped beer in my brewing "career" (4 batches out of 59, which is really killer to a perfectionist), but just become something isn't perfect doesn't mean I'll be dumping out PERFECTLY GOOD BEER!

Seriously. It's beer! For most of us on here, this is simply just a hobby. Not everyone has the money or the experience or the time to just be throwing at this thing. So it's one thing for you to respond pridefully to someone criticizing the technique or the lack of more scientific proof without them even giving it a go. It's another thing completely to blow up on someone who genuinely says, "Well this sounds great, but I'll never be able to achieve this goal with my set up." The response to that shouldn't be, "Well this is what it takes to make a non-dumper beer. If you want the best, you gotta spend the money and follow these steps." It should be more along the lines of that maybe there's still a solution out there!

So again thanks to those of you here who are genuinely trying to help and seem really quite humble about this process. I'm willing to try to get much better with my beer, and try to improve it as much as possible - and I'm obviously looking for some help in that. At this time, however, I'll never achieve the perfection described by some here. But I do think I can get pretty damn close, and I, like others, wonder if that won't just improve my beer to a very slight notch below this "it" factor.

That's a lot to respond to...
All I can really say is that I know that our methods work, if the brewer puts in an honest effort. You'll see results, from the start.
Unfortunately, the results will quickly fade, if there was a hole in your layers of protection.
Our stance & responses were never meant to push people away.
We simply meant to put out warnings, so the readers knew how serious oxygen ingress is & how quickly the losses are apparent.
The Grail we seek is a quickly fleeting characteristic.
It will leave, if you don't pay attention to the minute details.

The solutions are definitely out there. The big boys use membrane deoxygenators & filters. If you think our methods are expensive...Whew, look out! Price even a small one of those suckers & you'll think we're the cheap ones.
For the record, we are a welcoming bunch & we're not selling anything.
We simply have a focus that many brewers don't & came up with a small-scale solution, to combat oxidation.

If any of our methods aren't for you, you are perfectly welcome to ignore any one of them. We simply provided a set of things that we know are working for us, from grain to glass.

On that note...Yes...It's beer.
Personally, I am very particular about what I brew & the quality I create.
I'm not looking at it as just some beer...
It's MY beer...
It's the beer I want to be proud of & serve to people I love.

I've dumped very few batches, in my 20+ years of homebrewing.
...Probably like 5 to 8, maybe???
Since adopting the low-oxygen methods, I like my beers, more than I ever have.

I'm sure that your beers will only improve, as you continue toward your fight against oxidation.

Prost!

Cool stuff. I just wish it was not such a tightrope walk between being LODO and not... I am interested in all of the brewing practices but have to admit, I have no interest in anything on the cold side. After the beer is fermented I see anything with kegging as work and do not want to add to the chores in that area.

So is my hope of a more LODO brewhouse doomed from the start with this attitude? I love German beer and have always suspected breweries like Augustiner had a special method to get that flavor. I have always really enjoyed all of my beer styles so I am trying to not look at this great hobby as being incomplete if I am HIDO. But this hobby has an improvement component for me as well.

Tiny bit of a follow up:

I had to rack a beer from the secondary to the keg today. With no extra equipment than what I already had on hand, I was able to do a fairly closed transfer, and even added some gelatin in. Now I'm sure I had a tiny bit of air come in, but very little.

I cleaned my leg as normal. Filled it with warm water from the tap (not treated at all) with the lid off. Once it was overflowing, I tilted it around a bit to make sure there weren't any air pockets hiding on the side. I believe the space for the lid is higher than all the other points in the keg, correct me if I'm wrong on that. At that point I added enough starsan according to the instructions on the bottle. Then I stuck the lid in as normal, with it completely submersed in the now starsan solution, I tried to tilt it every way possible to make sure no air was trapped. Again, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this could achieve getting rid of all air pockets. Then I closed the lid, and pushed the starsan out with CO2 through the hose I was to use to transfer. During that time I got the fermenter in its spot and prepared the gelatin (again not treated water as I'm not lodo at this point).

I had a couple of psi of CO2 left in the keg (probably about 1 actually), I emptied the hose of starsan. Then hooked it up to a funnel. With the hose pinched I poured the gelatin into the funnel. Then hooking it up to the keg let the CO2 escape through the line and the bit of gelatin in the funnel. At that point, the gelatin flowed down into the keg, and I tried to make sure and disconnect the QD before any air went in. Then I put about 4-5 psi CO2 back into the keg, put the hose down into the beer and put the stopped back on as much as possible without completely squeezing the hose shut. Then I connected the qd to the keg at the same time I was ready to lift up the prv after I saw a couple bubbles come out of the siphon into the beer. This created some siphoning, but not enough to get it fully started. So I repeated this process, but this time didn't feel I needed to let it bubble through the beer, and it started the siphon nicely. Only problem is that it was a very long and thin hose, so to complete the transfer took 30-40 mins.

I'll pick up some equipment when I'm stateside (only because it's cheaper), but I think I could find a way to transfer with pretty much zero oxygen uptake. I would ferment as normal in the carboy. Then I will try to find a way, going off of some of these pictures I've seen, to be able to cold crash with CO2 hooked up. Then with the same setup, I should be able to transfer under pressure. So as of right now I know I can get the cold side to LoDO standards without spending too much money.

But what do you guys think about the way I transferred the gelatin in? And what about doing that with the keg lid in order to get all air pockets out? As I said, I won't have the capability to do the two keg ferment/transfer setup, but I think it's pretty feasible to do all of this with a carboy. At most I would really only need the flavor stability for 2 months, 3 if I'm sending in to a competition.

- While Potassium may give you acceptable results, we read instructions that said it can be damaging. So, we used sodium metabisulfite, instead. I believe that was mentioned, somewhere early in this thread. If not, it is in the original paper that was released.

- I recommend you stop splashing & find a means of gentle transfer.

- Put your whisk in your kitchen & use it for eggs & cream...Not mash.

- Typical crush is fine.

- I use a grain bag, as well. Your first investment should be a pump. With a pump, you can gently/slowly fill your mash tun from below & immerse your grain, without creating dough balls. This eliminates the vast majority of problems & stirring.

- Stop stirring so much...For the most part, leave the mash alone.

- I pump my wort from tun to kettle & see very little conversion difference from what I used to see, with single infusion non-biab.

- After all my losses & whatnot...I believe I'm getting roughly 80+% conversion & 80+% brewhouse efficiency (in English terms) at this point...(64+% total efficiency, for German brewers).

- Don't squeeze the bag & don't be impatient.

- While I don't completely recommend it...If you want to extract more liquid, let the bag sit in your tun, after you have pumped to the kettle & re-pump, once your boil is ready to begin.

There will definitely be oxygen ingress, but this will allow you to recover some losses.

Yes.

Water & wort can be treated somewhat differently.

With water, you can boil the hell out of it & have few impacts, aside from hardness changes.

We recommend being gentle with the wort boil, to stop the reactions that heat stress cause. Heat stress can ruin wort, very easily.

I recommend a stainless chiller, as your second investment, after the pump.

Not sure what to tell you, except "Use the copper, until you can replace it".

- DO NOT AERATE, WHILE WARM.

- Get your wort down to pitching temps.

- Add a vigorously active batch of yeast, with a proper cell count.

- Aerate while your yeast is very active, so they can consume the oxygen, before it reacts with wort's natural anti-oxidents.

If you can get your hands on a cheap aquarium pump & a inline air filter, you're golden.

That's a lot to respond to...

All I can really say is that I know that our methods work, if the brewer puts in an honest effort. You'll see results, from the start.

Unfortunately, the results will quickly fade, if there was a hole in your layers of protection.

Our stance & responses were never meant to push people away.

We simply meant to put out warnings, so the readers knew how serious oxygen ingress is & how quickly the losses are apparent.

The Grail we seek is a quickly fleeting characteristic.

It will leave, if you don't pay attention to the minute details.

The solutions are definitely out there. The big boys use membrane deoxygenators & filters. If you think our methods are expensive...Whew, look out! Price even a small one of those suckers & you'll think we're the cheap ones.

For the record, we are a welcoming bunch & we're not selling anything.

We simply have a focus that many brewers don't & came up with a small-scale solution, to combat oxidation.

If any of our methods aren't for you, you are perfectly welcome to ignore any one of them. We simply provided a set of things that we know are working for us, from grain to glass.

On that note...Yes...It's beer.

Personally, I am very particular about what I brew & the quality I create.

I'm not looking at it as just some beer...

It's MY beer...

It's the beer I want to be proud of & serve to people I love.

I've dumped very few batches, in my 20+ years of homebrewing.

...Probably like 5 to 8, maybe???

Since adopting the low-oxygen methods, I like my beers, more than I ever have.

I'm sure that your beers will only improve, as you continue toward your fight against oxidation.

Prost!

I appreciate some of this advice, and especially that you took the time to respond to such a long æss post!

As I said, however, I don't have the finances (nor the space in my tiny apartment) at the moment to make big adjustments to my set up. So I suppose I was looking to see if anyone had any good advice on how much I could imagine this being feasible to go as LoDO as possible with what I have. A pump and a new chiller aren't something that I could purchase in the near future at all.

In that regards, have people been successful with just slowly lowering in the bag? I don't have the capability to boil that much water in separate vessels.

As far as chilling the wort, which option is better as far as time it takes to chill vs exposure to air or copper:
A) go ahead and use the copper, and end up being able to chill very quickly?
Or B) chill in a cold tap water bath (8c water) with a lid on, but this will almost certainly take a half hour for ales?

Oh yes I thought of another question now that I had in my head while reading through the thread:

I haven't been to Germany so maybe it's different, but I have recently been to the Czech Republic. Everyone I talked to there said that anyone making traditional light lagers or pilsners are doing decoction mashing. Is this true for any of these breweries with the "it" factor in their beers? I believe urquell was mentioned here, and, according to the locals (though it could be folklore), they're still decoction mashing.

I'd highly recommend also checking out this site: http://forum.germanbrewing.net
It's chock full of low (and high) dollar lodo hacks to improve your brewing system and processes. Takes a bit of reading but is a goldmine of low oxygen brewing info.

Tiny bit of a follow up:

I had to rack a beer from the secondary to the keg today. With no extra equipment than what I already had on hand, I was able to do a fairly closed transfer, and even added some gelatin in. Now I'm sure I had a tiny bit of air come in, but very little.

I cleaned my leg as normal. Filled it with warm water from the tap (not treated at all) with the lid off. Once it was overflowing, I tilted it around a bit to make sure there weren't any air pockets hiding on the side. I believe the space for the lid is higher than all the other points in the keg, correct me if I'm wrong on that. At that point I added enough starsan according to the instructions on the bottle. Then I stuck the lid in as normal, with it completely submersed in the now starsan solution, I tried to tilt it every way possible to make sure no air was trapped. Again, correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this could achieve getting rid of all air pockets. Then I closed the lid, and pushed the starsan out with CO2 through the hose I was to use to transfer. During that time I got the fermenter in its spot and prepared the gelatin (again not treated water as I'm not lodo at this point).

I had a couple of psi of CO2 left in the keg (probably about 1 actually), I emptied the hose of starsan. Then hooked it up to a funnel. With the hose pinched I poured the gelatin into the funnel. Then hooking it up to the keg let the CO2 escape through the line and the bit of gelatin in the funnel. At that point, the gelatin flowed down into the keg, and I tried to make sure and disconnect the QD before any air went in. Then I put about 4-5 psi CO2 back into the keg, put the hose down into the beer and put the stopped back on as much as possible without completely squeezing the hose shut. Then I connected the qd to the keg at the same time I was ready to lift up the prv after I saw a couple bubbles come out of the siphon into the beer. This created some siphoning, but not enough to get it fully started. So I repeated this process, but this time didn't feel I needed to let it bubble through the beer, and it started the siphon nicely. Only problem is that it was a very long and thin hose, so to complete the transfer took 30-40 mins.

I'll pick up some equipment when I'm stateside (only because it's cheaper), but I think I could find a way to transfer with pretty much zero oxygen uptake. I would ferment as normal in the carboy. Then I will try to find a way, going off of some of these pictures I've seen, to be able to cold crash with CO2 hooked up. Then with the same setup, I should be able to transfer under pressure. So as of right now I know I can get the cold side to LoDO standards without spending too much money.

But what do you guys think about the way I transferred the gelatin in? And what about doing that with the keg lid in order to get all air pockets out? As I said, I won't have the capability to do the two keg ferment/transfer setup, but I think it's pretty feasible to do all of this with a carboy. At most I would really only need the flavor stability for 2 months, 3 if I'm sending in to a competition.

For your purge method, it sounds like you actually put the lid inside the keg, locking mechanism and all. Is that correct? And you were able to bring the sealing mechanism back to the top side of the keg without pulling the lid itself out? If so, congrats!

If you look at the underside of your keg lid you'll notice that it is not a true high point. Take a look at the lid in this link, as an example.

http://www.homebrewing.org/New-Corn...0yzSMwB90GBmsyz9QBqPiXUYUpNTioBUNEaAkr-8P8HAQ

You'll see that the inlet to the relief valve is actually below the lid surface. You'll have air trapped in that pocket unless you find a true high point vent. This fact is why I went with this procedure for venting.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=7691988&postcount=607

Also, have you shortened your gas in tube? If not, you'll have a pocket there too if you use your gas in connection as a high point.

Concerning gelatin, I haven't devised a way to introduce it into my process yet without oxygen exposure. What you describe might work, but you would need to make sure to disconnect from the keg while the gelatin is still in the tube so that you don't loose your seal/barrier.

I've been debating adding it when I transfer from primary and prime (keg or bottles). Not sure how a simultaneous addition of priming sugar and gelatin would work.

Concerning gelatin, I haven't devised a way to introduce it into my process yet without oxygen exposure. What you describe might work, but you would need to make sure to disconnect from the keg while the gelatin is still in the tube so that you don't loose your seal/barrier.

Here's what I came up with for gelatin addition. I do the StarSan liquid purge, also manipulating the lid to minimize the air pocket. For the gelatin, I use a flavor injection syringe I got with my Bayou Classic pot (after cutting off the pointy end and side vents) to inject the gelatin solution thru the lid PRV port, after unscrewing the actual PRV. A slight positive CO2 pressure in the keg keeps air from entering the PRV port while doing the injection.

Edit: Here's a pic of the gelatin syringe (with a teaspoon for scale.) It's big enough that it only takes 2 or 3 shots to inject all of the gelatin solution.

Gelatin Injector.jpg

Brew on :mug:

Here's what I came up with for gelatin addition. I do the StarSan liquid purge, also manipulating the lid to minimize the air pocket. For the gelatin, I use a flavor injection syringe I got with my Bayou Classic pot (after cutting off the pointy end and side vents) to inject the gelatin solution thru the lid PRV port, after unscrewing the actual PRV. A slight positive CO2 pressure in the keg keeps air from entering the PRV port while doing the injection.

Ah, great idea! Unfortunately for me, some of my keg lids don't have the type of PRV that is easily unscrewed from the top. Do you think I could be successful by cracking the keg lid briefly while maintaining the CO2 purge? Seems that the CO2 flow rate would have to be pretty high to do that.

For your purge method, it sounds like you actually put the lid inside the keg, locking mechanism and all. Is that correct? And you were able to bring the sealing mechanism back to the top side of the keg without pulling the lid itself out? If so, congrats!

If you look at the underside of your keg lid you'll notice that it is not a true high point. Take a look at the lid in this link, as an example.

http://www.homebrewing.org/New-Corn...0yzSMwB90GBmsyz9QBqPiXUYUpNTioBUNEaAkr-8P8HAQ

You'll see that the inlet to the relief valve is actually below the lid surface. You'll have air trapped in that pocket unless you find a true high point vent. This fact is why I went with this procedure for venting.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=7691988&postcount=607

Also, have you shortened your gas in tube? If not, you'll have a pocket there too if you use your gas in connection as a high point.

I've been debating adding it when I transfer from primary and prime (keg or bottles). Not sure how a simultaneous addition of priming sugar and gelatin would work.

Yeah basically I submerge the entire lid into the starsan solution. I believe as far as the keg itself goes, with the lid off, that where the lid sits is the high point. Is it not?

So once it's overflowing with water I wiggled/slightly tilted the keg a bit to the sides to make sure any air pockets came out. The fully submerged the lid in the solution and wiggled it around to make sure there weren't any air pockets.

So I know it's a LoDO no-no to fill that part with the lid off, but even if you filled the keg your way, then simply removed the lid and submerged it and made the starsan solution to overflow again out of the lid hole, couldn't that work just as well? I mean I suppose it'd probably be just as much work as what you're doing, but I'm thinking in this sense, I don't have to try to mess with cutting the gas in post.

Could you just hook up a small hose and a qd to a syringe and effectively do the same thing? (For those that can't unscrew their prv)

Ah, great idea! Unfortunately for me, some of my keg lids don't have the type of PRV that is easily unscrewed from the top. Do you think I could be successful by cracking the keg lid briefly while maintaining the CO2 purge? Seems that the CO2 flow rate would have to be pretty high to do that.

You wouldn't have to crack the lid very far open to get the tip into the keg. About a quart of CO2/minute flow would probably be enough, and it should only need the lid open for about 1/2 a minute. You could do a few 30 psi headspace purges when you are done for good measure.

I also want to mention that the pdf emphasizes that cold side oxygen control is just as important. You really want to keep the dissolved oxygen level in the final package under 0.1 ppm (this is the target that John Kimmich from The Alchemist discusses as well). But did you know that the amount of air it would take to fill a single shot glass, if trapped inside the keg, will raise the dissolved oxygen content of a 5 gallon batch of beer by more than 0.2 ppm? It's really hard to get ALL of the air out of a keg, and we measured that our own racking procedures going from primary into a purged keg picked up between 0.4 and 0.8 ppm! The only method we can currently recommend in good faith is spunding in the keg with active yeast, because the yeast will consume any oxygen picked up and keep the DO level of the beer close to zero..

techbrau,

I just used my spunding valve for the first time. I transferred my beer from my SS Brewbucket with CO2 into a keg. The keg was purged the old fashioned way by pressurizing to 30psi and then releasing the PRV a few times and then left pressurized. Once ready, I opened the spunding valve all the way in order to release the pressure in the keg before starting the transfer. I then transferred the beer by pushing it with CO2 through the racking valve of the fermentor through a tube connected to the liquid out post of the keg. Once the transfer was done I closed the spunding valve and set it to 30 psi.
For some reason I didn't think I needed to purge the keg since the beer was still fermenting (I don't know the gravity but it was still bubbling every 30 seconds or so from the blow off tube before transferring from the fermentor) and I figured the yeast would take care of any O2 left in the keg. This was on Tuesday night and the spunding valve was reading about 10psi this morning.
Anyways, by not purging the head space of the filled keg did I oxidize the beer more than if I had purged it. Or would the active yeast have taken care of the excess O2?

It depends on how much headspace you had. A small amount (say less than a cup for 5 gal) may not be an issue, but I don't know for sure. Air has an enormous amount of O2 relative to what it takes to oxidize finished beer.

I think it's important enough to fill kegs completely that I cut all of my gas dip tubes short so that I can fill the kegs up to the point where beer starts to flow out of the PRV in the lid.

I would encourage you to be very mindful of the gravity when you rack. 1% fermentable extract (4 gravity points left before FG) is a good target. If you rack too long before that, you stand a good chance of carrying too much yeast over, which will autolyse within a couple weeks due to the increased pressure. At the beginning of 2016 I lost 3 batches in a row because of this.

It depends on how much headspace you had. A small amount (say less than a cup for 5 gal) may not be an issue, but I don't know for sure. Air has an enormous amount of O2 relative to what it takes to oxidize finished beer.

I think it's important enough to fill kegs completely that I cut all of my gas dip tubes short so that I can fill the kegs up to the point where beer starts to flow out of the PRV in the lid.

I would encourage you to be very mindful of the gravity when you rack. 1% fermentable extract (4 gravity points left before FG) is a good target. If you rack too long before that, you stand a good chance of carrying too much yeast over, which will autolyse within a couple weeks due to the increased pressure. At the beginning of 2016 I lost 3 batches in a row because of this.

techbrau,

Thanks for your response. I do 2.5 gallon batches. The beer nearly filled up the 12" hose I have attached to my spunding valve before I was able to stop the flow from fermentor to keg. I did transfer some yeast...so I could just chalk this one up to a learning curve and transfer to another purged keg after it's done fermenting, if you think that would be wise.
If the beers good, I can usually kick a keg in about a week and half and if I really put my mind to it, I'm sure sooner. This is an IPA...I usually finish fermenting and dry hopping in 10-13 days and then can start chilling and carbonating.

You need some yeast carried over to finish the last few gravity points, but not too much. Ideally you want to carry over the "hangers on", the cells that take a few weeks to drop out as opposed to the cells which sediment quickly once fermentation finishes up.

You need some yeast carried over to finish the last few gravity points, but not too much. Ideally you want to carry over the "hangers on", the cells that take a few weeks to drop out as opposed to the cells which sediment quickly once fermentation finishes up.

I'm pretty sure I got some slurry in there as I'm not used to using my SS Brewbucket yet. I could see it in the clear transfer tube as I was pushing the beer into the keg.

So with my cunsumption time frame being about 18-20 something days from ferment to glass...do you recommend still getting it off the yeast that's in the keg?

Yeah basically I submerge the entire lid into the starsan solution. I believe as far as the keg itself goes, with the lid off, that where the lid sits is the high point. Is it not?

So once it's overflowing with water I wiggled/slightly tilted the keg a bit to the sides to make sure any air pockets came out. The fully submerged the lid in the solution and wiggled it around to make sure there weren't any air pockets.

So I know it's a LoDO no-no to fill that part with the lid off, but even if you filled the keg your way, then simply removed the lid and submerged it and made the starsan solution to overflow again out of the lid hole, couldn't that work just as well? I mean I suppose it'd probably be just as much work as what you're doing, but I'm thinking in this sense, I don't have to try to mess with cutting the gas in post.

If you can guarantee you're not getting any air underneath your lid when reattaching it after submersion, I think your way of doing it works just fine. I'm just not confident I could do that. It seems you'd have to have extremely steady hands.

Cutting the gas in post is less than 5 minutes of work, including removing the post and reattaching it. Even less time if your dip tube is one of those cheap plastic jobs.

Ok I'll have to look into cutting it down.

I won't be able to brew for a little over two weeks. Once I can get to that point, it'll attempt to go as LoDO as possible with my setup, and then post the steps here so you guys can show me where it's likely still getting ruined! It'll be a hoppy beer, so I won't be chasing the special malty flavor (probably just be Pilsner and wheat malt). But I would like to see the hoppiness still there to the last pint!

I made the LoDO Oatmeal Stout today. Overall went flawless except I had troubles recirculating. Oddly enough it wasn't gluey at all, just tight. Might open up the grain mill a little next time. Other "fun" thing was 15 minutes into the boil the water company decided to shut off the water main on our street due to a rupture. Fortunately it came back on with an hour, so at BKO i killed the heat, put the lid on, and let it coast. Ended up going 20 minutes longer than desired.

The wort sample was extremely delicious. It had the honey sweet LoDO flavor (63% of the recipe was MO) but with a sweet chocolate finish. I didn't think the roast was amplified at all - if anything it was smoother and more subtle. Really looking forward to trying this in a couple weeks.

I followed this thread in the beginning but unsub'd when it was getting a bit nasty. Now that some others have had a chance to experiment with this process I have one major question.

It seems as though the most difficult part of the process is spunding in the keg. Has anyone tried implementing the process but simply doing a closed transfer to a fully liquid purged keg instead of spunding?

I'm sure the answer is in here somewhere but it's a huge thread now so thought I'd just ask. I'd like to give it a shot sometime soon.

I followed this thread in the beginning but unsub'd when it was getting a bit nasty. Now that some others have had a chance to experiment with this process I have one major question.

It seems as though the most difficult part of the process is spunding in the keg. Has anyone tried implementing the process but simply doing a closed transfer to a fully liquid purged keg instead of spunding?

I'm sure the answer is in here somewhere but it's a huge thread now so thought I'd just ask. I'd like to give it a shot sometime soon.

I just want to make sure I understand what you're asking. Are you asking if anyone has attempted to let the beer go to final gravity and then transfer to a properly purged keg?

If so, I believe the pioneers of this concept have tried it and failed. There's apparently still too much O2 pick up with what is essentially a transfer from one keg to the other.

If you're asking if folks have tried transferring to a properly purged keg but not attached a relief valve that goes off at a set pressure, then I think the answer to that is also yes, there are some on here who do that and just let the keg naturally carbonate.

Someone chime in if I'm off on either of those.

I just want to make sure I understand what you're asking. Are you asking if anyone has attempted to let the beer go to final gravity and then transfer to a properly purged keg?

If so, I believe the pioneers of this concept have tried it and failed. There's apparently still too much O2 pick up with what is essentially a transfer from one keg to the other.

This is what I'm asking. So are we talking instant loss of flavour or "might start to drop off in 2 months" loss of flavour?

This is what I'm asking. So are we talking instant loss of flavour or "might start to drop off in 2 months" loss of flavour?

Depending on your pick up from 1 week to 4 weeks probably.

Depending on your pick up from 1 week to 4 weeks probably.

I don't spund and this sounds about right. I made a Helles that was amazing for the first 3-4 weeks. Full of fresh grain and honey sweetness. After that it lost its magic. Still decent but lifeless in comparison. Other styles do much better but it was really noticeable in the Helles.

I don't put a spund valve on my serving kegs - I just close them up and let them finish fermenting. I'll hook up the spund valve to them every so often (which has a pressure gauge), and if it's too high i'll burp them. Low tech but very simple.

I will never not keg condition a beer again. The two LoDOs that i had to do this to due to timing have been phenomenal.

I stopped using my spunding valve too. I just rack to the sealed keg with 4 gravity points left and it ends up perfect. I wouldn't recommend that to anyone however unless your process is very predictable and your measurements accurate.

LoDO is pretty mind-blowing, isn't it? :)

LoDO is pretty mind-blowing, isn't it? :)

Actually it kinda pisses me off - it adds a lot of work to my brew day over my previous process. I was really trying to simplify and shorten my brew day, but no more!

The beer produced by this process is amazing. No turning back.

It does add work, but so does the move to all grain from extract.

Maybe it sounds weird, but to me discovering LoDO was completely validating and renewed my interest in brewing. The hitchhikers guide quote on the first page on the PDF sums up how I felt towards brewing in general before we discovered LoDO. Nothing seemed to matter, nothing really changed the beer. Brulosophy kept demonstrating that to everybody and time again. My beer was stuck on a big plateau of mediocrity. Yet here were these crazy Germans with their hundred million dollar high tech breweries and ridiculous attention to detail making the best beer I'd ever tasted - but I could never replicate it! Something about all that didn't sit right with me.

On process - I've found that if I rack to keg slightly early (or with a bit of spiesse or dextrose) and let it carb up, I capture "it" without a spund valve.

Takes forever to condition, though.

Once finished, my kegs don't last 5 months or even close to it, so that helps too...

How many points out would you recommend for kegging up a weissbier? I figure since I don't have a spunding valve and the co2 vol is much higher it would be harder to screw up.

How does this technique compare to decoction mashing? If the finished beer tastes the same, I think ill just do decoction mashing.

Back