Added Boil Hops at End By Accident...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KookyBrewsky

Reaction score
Well...

I've been around for a little while and brewed many beers, but it's been almost half a year, as I went to work in a remote location.

I made a Bavarian Hefe, only one hop addition at the beginning, but I added the 60 min addition at 0 min, forgetting that the sheet is a 'countdown' since it's been so long.. Sigh... it's 1oz of German Tettnang hops...

How awful is this hefe going to be?

You're probably going to have <5 IBU, depending on the AA content of the hops and how quickly you chilled the wort. If you haven't pitched the yeast yet you could boil it again to try to get some more isomerization. If you have more hops you could try boiling some in plain water and adding that to the batch.

Sigh... We'll see... Luckily I have two more kits. I was really looking forward to a simple hefe and of course, managed to ruin it. The yeast has long since been pitched, it's like a vortex in the sight glass right now.

Oh well.

Just add some hop tea that you make on the stove top. Super simple fix.

Just add some hop tea that you make on the stove top. Super simple fix.

That's very true, I can add this no problem as long as it's sterile? I should have some extra hops in the freezer, might change the profile a little but yea... Thanks!

There's been a discussion about this in the Meme Generator thread...mostly for entertainment purposes, though.

Last edited:
The hop tea is a great idea, but make it somewhat intense so you don't water the beer down too much. Let the hops settle a bit first too. It should be sterile enough to just dump in even after letting it cool a while (covered).

You could also dry hop it... it wont' be to style, but maybe you're already outside of it enough you don't care? It's not the same as adding IBU but there's still a perception of hoppiness that goes a long ways.

Leaving it alone is always an option as well. At this point you have little to lose no matter which way you go.

If you keg, you actually have the option of trying some things later - start with as-is, then try one of the hops ideas if you don't like it. Or even just for fun.

Is it feasible to boil about 2 cups of water down to one cup of water (or less) with 1os of spare freezer hops?

Totally is, yes.
I recently made an ESB that was supposed to be 40 IBUs but tasted like it was devoid of hops. Don't know why. Several weeks later, I boiled an ounce of hops for about an hour and added it to the keg. The beer is now more bitter, but doesn't taste very good. I don't even know how to describe it. Soapy? Industrial? Maybe I boiled too long. I'm hoping the longer it's in the keg, the more the taste will go away. Or am I just kidding myself?

Taste will definitely change, and hop flavors do tend to go away. Hmm, I was hoping to read a success story. I wonder what happened? Picked up something from the way you boiled, aluminum pot flavor? I wonder if somethign more like wort is needed, maybe water doesn't cut it. pH problem? I've read success stories and thought it sounded like a good idea, but admit that I have not tried it myself. I wonder what the specifics were for other folks.

Taste will definitely change, and hop flavors do tend to go away. Hmm, I was hoping to read a success story. I wonder what happened? Picked up something from the way you boiled, aluminum pot flavor? I wonder if somethign more like wort is needed, maybe water doesn't cut it. pH problem? I've read success stories and thought it sounded like a good idea, but admit that I have not tried it myself. I wonder what the specifics were for other folks.
I too wondered if boiling in some DME might have made a difference.

Well, I boiled .9 or so oz of Williamette hops, reduced them down heavily due to how much they absorb. I basically added the boiled hop mush to the conical, it had only been fermenting for one day. What I am hoping is the vigor of the yeast will sort of move the mush around and infuse it, rather than adding too much liquid into it...

Perhaps I will just leave it be for a bit longer, maybe 2.5 weeks and then keg it... See how it goes. I imagine fermentation is as important for hops as any other aspect of the beer, banking on one day of fermentation not being too late to have added it.

I am not a particularly picky brewer. Just, a rusty one.

I recently made an ESB that was supposed to be 40 IBUs but tasted like it was devoid of hops. Don't know why. Several weeks later, I boiled an ounce of hops for about an hour and added it to the keg. The beer is now more bitter, but doesn't taste very good. I don't even know how to describe it. Soapy? Industrial? Maybe I boiled too long. I'm hoping the longer it's in the keg, the more the taste will go away. Or am I just kidding myself?
[/QUOT

Update: Another three days in the keg made a big difference in my ESB. I hope the original poster has success too.

I really thank everyone for this tip, I imagine it'll work out just fine, it'll have a hoppy aroma, but that's alright, like I said, not too picky about my own brews. The fermentation was still extremely vigorous once I added the hops, it should work out just fine.

Back