Interesting German Brewing PDF

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah, whatever.. when I said those numbers I was doing it from memory.. X ppm versus Y ppm.. X and Y matter but not when you can't measure it. For those who can, my argument still stands. Measure it for us. Lets get some numbers per "system improvement", please.

Again, I'm going to start to clean up my system that way, and I think many of us are.. HOWEVER, bang for buck for many of us is a consideration.

I'm still weary about the Copper Oxide stuff because it again sounds like the religious quest against anything but glass and stainless repackaged. Fabrication equipment myself is a big part of what I like to do and soft copper is so easy in many cases. I'd need proof to start ripping that stuff out of my system.

I am also somewhat weary of adding sulfites to my otherwise completely natural product. But I do get the other reason now why so many wineries do it... It's not just to stop fermentation.

I have no sensitivities to sulfites, so likely I'll try it the next time I do a pilsner malt beer... later this summer.. I'll try anything once.

But... again.. having some priority list would be helpful for use intermediately advanced brewers. that whole spunding valve idea has intrigued me since I started...

I read that the MoreBeer ones have problems.. does anyone know were I could get a higher quality one. I prefer to have it work and not blow out the overpressure valve. I read that most of them don't close properly once opened under <40 PSI. I would put a gauge on it and pop it myself but I'm too busy to babysit my beers every night so a proper adjustable relief valve that will also close would be so nice....

since you stir(red) your mash, I'm assuming you don't use a pump. therefore, how are you agitating your mash in order to prevent clumps and such?
I've moved to underlet the mash which seems to give excellent distribution of strike water throughout the grain. After the underlet finishes, I do some minimal, slow stirring to feel good about myself :D. I also do some slow, minimal stirring just prior to draining the MLT, again, to feel good about myself. My goal is to not agitate the surface of the wort and to not bring the grains above the surface of the wort. First batch worked well this way; second batch not as well.

I've come to a similar conclusion. Very minimal cost to my set up and no extra time. First brew I used an old lid as a mash cap, already had a spunding valve laying around from a previous experiment, so I just needed to buy a few fittings for that and to connect my CO2 to a rubber stopper to push the beer out of my fermenter to the keg. Already had the NaMeta from wine making.

Since then I've bought a 14" diameter stainless steel cake pan to use as a mash cap. I'll use an extra bulk head I have laying around for the wort return. Next time I'll also use my stainless immersion chiller as a pre chiller to my plate chiller. So I need to buy a few fittings for that too. Cheap stuff really.

So, no major purchases for me.

Oh, and I BIAB. I was just really careful with my grains.
I think most folks would find that with some creativity they have a fair amount of what would be needed to implement the pdf changes. For me, it was a fair amount of "thinking on it" and visualizing the process changes before I actually tried anything. My cold side is where things suffer but I'll get something worked out - even if it's just an early rack and keg venting the first try.

I've only gotten to page 21 (I'll catch up) but can it basically be said that this methodology doesn't really work with hop stands? (at least, without some serious equipment)
I cannot see why it wouldn't work with hop stands. Keep agitation minimal; keep a lid on it; and if in doubt you can dose with a small NaMeta dose at flameout to provide some insurance. As for exact ppm of oxygen ingress during the hopstand, I cannot say - I don't have a meter, but would imagine minimal with gentle treatment of the wort.

As I said before, I'm open to new ideas. I'm all for advancing knowledge in any way, shape or form.

However, you cannot open up with: "This will make the best beer ever! All other beer will suck in comparison!" and not expect a little skepticism, especially when you're making very bold claims with little to no evidence to back it up. When you propose a new idea, the burden of proof is definitely on you. You cannot make a claim and state, "Trust me, it works!" and expect that no one will question it.

Yep, fair. This is totally expected!

I'm not fighting a war. I'm saying that their claims are grandiose with little to back them up.

Had to grab attention and make a statement. Marketing. :)

That said, I side with Kunze to help me make the beers I want to brew.

When I tried their suggestions as far as my equipment would carry them and didn't get the results they claim I was told that I 'did it wrong' because I didn't ferment in a corny keg with a spunding valve, and I dry hopped the beer. It's very hard to ferment 5.5 gallons of wort in a 5 gallon corny keg, and making a hoppy beer without dry hopping is impossible. I fermented in a carboy, dryhopped near the end of fermentation, cold crashed under CO2 and fined with gelatin (including pre-boiling the water for the gelatin and dosing it with SMB). I purged the keg by filling it to the very top with a sanitizer/SMB solution that they suggested and pushing it out with CO2. I took *every* precaution I could reasonably take in regards to O2, following suggestions made by the LODO crowd. When the results of my test didn't knock my socks off with it being the best version of this beer ever (I have brewed this recipe before), I was told that I did it wrong even though I accommodated their suggestions in regard to deviations from the paper they presented and that the CO2 I was using was only 99.9% pure and as compromising the results. How do we push beer out of a keg then?

I'm not trying to be confrontational in regards to the process they propose. I'm merely asking for some evidence that it actually produces a better beer, not a difference in the mashing process. My experimentation showed it did not, in this case.

Keep working on it. First of all, know and define your goal for what 'better' means to you and for what style(s). To say a LODO APA is my goal, you will likely not notice it on the first go around. If you (and this seems to be really specific to certain people) find a German Helles from Germany that you can buy today to have a unique taste, this is for you. If not, your mileage may vary.

I did take umbrage with the fact that some of the LODO crowd explicitly said (several times) that anyone not brewing in accordance with their 'bible' was making bad beer. There are a hell of a lot of talented brewers here that make fantastic beer without $400 D.O. meters or going to the extraordinary lengths to preclude O2 from the mashing process, or fermenting in kegs with spunding valves.

By saying 'bible', you're kinda playing your card that this is a religious war to you. Nah dude, let's talk. A little over a year ago a couple of dudes came together to say...damn, why don't any "German lagers" in the US taste like the ones in Germany? And we've been trying to figure that out and adding to the group. And some really bright folks, I might add.

We can all agree that it's good practice to reasonably limit O2 exposure of the wort prior to the pitch of the yeast and post ferment. It's probably not a good idea to stir air into the mash like a blender using a stirrer on a drill, and avoiding hot side splashing or aeration takes a few common sense precautions.

I'm skeptical that the somewhat excessive precautions they're advocating will produce a better beer. I tried their suggestions to see for myself, and didn't get the results they're claiming. It's possible that in a very small subset of beers their process might be beneficial, but without testing and experimentation it's strictly a theory.

Or...the results came and went, without you noticing. I have brewed some of the most delicious and simultaneously most bizarre beers in the past year. We're talking about a living organism tied to our taste buds with about as many variables to tweak as anything on earth. I'm sipping some lodo Pilsner now that, while a completely freakish recipe, actually tastes characteristically right to me (I'm on a quest to brew East German style Pilsners). When you stop trying to mash the thing out of existence, then ferment it into oblivion, interesting subtleties start to happen (blaming myself on these issues). Too little sulfur, too much sulfur, great malt flavor, then poof, it's gone.

Regarding the mash blending with a drill, apparently that was tried and no difference was noted...that's the point, it's more precise than that.

We backed into this (I should say technically techbrau and rabeb, though as part of a team trying to figure this out) accidentally after trying everything else on Earth to do. But...there is still a long way to go to truly nail it for many different styles. We are homebrewers and we're trying to reproduce centuries of accumulated brewing skill and knowledge "Fingerspitzengefühl" as my wife puts it, based on trial and error, brewing texts and reverse engineering.

We figured this proposed approach is useful for, at best, 2% of homebrewers. And for folks that already have the basics nailed and can brew a great Helles to begin with. But can't brew THE Helles. If this isn't for you, I totally get it. (however, whether you realize it or not, I suspect it is and that you're exactly who should be working on this).

There have been several claims that larger breweries in Germany use this LODO process. I'm not saying they don't, but I'll wager they're not using SMB and pre-boiling the brewing liquor. They have degassing equipment that doesn't alter the mineral composition of the water.

Yes, most, if not all are likely not using SMB (I'd be shocked if any do)...you're missing the forest for the trees. Go stand in your brewing room and say, hmmmm, if I were trying to mitigate oxygen, how would I do it?

Then...you can go say, hmmmm, if I was Augustiner, and I was trying to mitigate oxygen, how would I do it? Entirely different problems to solve, with entirely different solutions (though I truly hope some resourceful entrepreneur comes up with a turnkey mechanical vs chemical solution for me).

I've done some cursory research on the concept, and haven't found much aside from the references made in the paper presented. There are several references in the paper I find questionable, such as steam purging brewing plumbing to reduce/eliminate oxygen (The steam may initially do so, but when it condenses it will create a vacuum that will draw in atmospheric air) and mashing under a 'blanket' of inert gas (gasses do not behave that way, diffusion will rapidly mix all gasses in the headspace.)

Solve it...how would you mitigate this issue?

My postulation is that this is a big-brewery process to make a more shelf-stable product for a limited subset of beers, and not necessarily something that needs to be emulated on a home brewing level. You must keep in mind that Helles (and other delicate beers) will show off flavors as if there's a spotlight pointed at them, and on a commercial production level they need a product that will keep for months in sub-optimal storage conditions. This commercial low dissolved oxygen process facilitates those conditions and is not necessarily a process that home brewers (or even small craft breweries with high turnover rates) need to adhere by. In fact, Krone's (cited several times in the paper) craft beer systems employ none of these low dissolved oxygen techniques.

My postulation is that this is a big-brewery process to make a more shelf-stable product for a limited subset of beers, and not necessarily something that needs to be emulated on a home brewing level for every style. Helles (and other delicate beers like Pilsner) will both not reach their potential and will show off flavors as if there's a spotlight pointed at them. Low oxygen brewing opens a door to helping to preserve these subtle flavors, and that when combined with additional techniques and perfection of process produce an authentic Helles or Pilsner. Note: this may apply to other styles as well, but the results may taste different than expected.

I think the original posters of the paper may have misconstrued some of the concepts they've read about, a sentiment echoed by Burghard Meyer of the Research and Teaching Institute in Berlin according to Brewfun.

Perhaps. I am curious to visit more local breweries on my next trip to Germany. I agree. And wonder where oddballs like Square-cube law fall into this in terms of oxygen affect on flavor relative to volume and process. I'll try to meet up with Matthias at Bayerischer Bahnhof again and any other breweries I can stop at and try to get compare beers and get a better understanding of their process. A contact at Weyermann said they don't treat their water nor deoxygenate (go figure they gave me, the American, an IPA to try instead of Pilsner when I toured there). To me, low O2 is a door (now open), it's not the entire answer. There's a lot to it, at least for what I taste in German beers that I love.

With this, I've voiced my dissenting opinion and I'm done unless anyone has any questions. I'll return to brewing my horribly oxidized beer.

I've moved to underlet the mash which seems to give excellent distribution of strike water throughout the grain. After the underlet finishes, I do some minimal, slow stirring to feel good about myself :D. I also do some slow, minimal stirring just prior to draining the MLT, again, to feel good about myself. My goal is to not agitate the surface of the wort and to not bring the grains above the surface of the wort. First batch worked well this way; second batch not as well.

thanks for the reply, btw.

ah, problematic as I don't have any pumps. oh well

I cannot see why it wouldn't work with hop stands. Keep agitation minimal; keep a lid on it; and if in doubt you can dose with a small NaMeta dose at flameout to provide some insurance. As for exact ppm of oxygen ingress during the hopstand, I cannot say - I don't have a meter, but would imagine minimal with gentle treatment of the wort.

as an excerpt from the article

"Furthermore, you can also verify with your dissolved oxygen meter that another
1-2 ppm of oxygen diffuses into the wort per hour from the atmosphere. In our
experiments, we have found that even 1 ppm of dissolved oxygen present at any
time during the entire hot side of the process is enough to ensure the loss of fresh malt flavors from the beer."

any lid on my keggle is going to have sizable headspace. unless I come up with some sort of floating flexible mat

However, just because people can distinguish a difference between beers tells us nothing about which is better. My favorite example is this exbeeriment:

http://brulosophy.com/2016/04/04/si...-brudragon-collaboration-exbeeriment-results/

The results were "significant" at p<.001, with 128 tasters. Of those, 66 were able to correctly identify the odd-one-out. But the results are presented as if all those were able to do so as a result of being able to distinguish via flavor, not as a result of luck. In other words, we don't know how many simply guessed right, and how many truly could distinguish between the beers.

thanks for commenting on this! I can't help myself but also chime in: using p-values has been discredited to the point of beating a dead horse. they mean very little, and an experiment with 128 samples and only 2 hypotheses isn't saying much at all.

to continue my two cents, the amount of experimental effort for one person or even a single group to validate a particular method over another would be enormous and almost impossible. it is an unfortunate fact and perhaps one of the reasons that brewing beer continues to be just as much of an art as it is a science

So... at what point do the yeast stop doing their work here? My understanding is that yeast will stop "working" for a number of reasons (no more fermentable sugars, temperature drop, they die, OSHA break, whatever), and although I know that they use O2 to do their work, I didn't imagine that they would "stop" and remain dormant until more O2 was present to scrub. I guess I am having a hard time wrapping my head around this idea that a keg, several weeks into drinking, may be at that point 50% or 75% full of commercial CO2, and the oxygen can be munched up by the residual yeast in the remaining beer (and mitigated by the sulfur?)... but somehow the amount of commercial CO2 used to force carbonate is too much to handle?

There are two classes of species in beer that can consume DO by getting oxidized:
  1. Species that get oxidized, but the oxidation products don't degrade flavor
  2. Species that get oxidized, and the oxidation products do degrade flavor
Metabite is of the first type, and apparently has a higher affinity for and/or reaction rate with DO than all, or most of the second type. There may be other class 1 species than metabite. The class 1 species can only do their magic until they are mostly oxidized, and then the DO starts oxidizing the class 2 species.

With forced carbonation you get more total O2 than with spunded carbonation. Say you have 0.8 volumes of residual CO2 at kegging. If you want to carb to 2.5 volumes, you need to add 1.7 volumes (or 1.7 * 5 = 8.5 gal) of CO2 to the beer. If you force carb, that 1.7 volumes comes from the tank. If you spund, that 1.7 volumes (8.5 gal) is generated by yeast eating residual sugar (0 DO.) Then it's going to take 5 * (14.7 psi + 11 psi) / 14.7 psi = 8.74 gal to serve the keg (11 psi @ 37.5&#730;F gives 2.5 volumes.) So spunding and serving will expose the beer to 8.74 gal of CO2, and force carbing and serving will expose the beer to 17.24 gal of CO2, almost twice as much. The O2 exposure will also be almost twice as much.

The German Brewers' theory is that there are enough class 1 species in the beer made with their process to consume enough of the O2 just due to serving to avoid flavor issues, but not enough class 1 species to deal with the extra O2 from forced carbing.

What I haven't seen anything about is how the decreasing beer to headspace (and thus O2) ratio during serving allows the class 1 species to keep up with the ever increasing amount of O2 in the headspace. The partial pressure of O2 in the headspace will decrease with time as the O2 in the headspace dissolves into the beer, and is consumed by the class 1 species. DO consumption reduces the equilibrium partial pressure, so more headspace O2 will dissolve. As the beer is consumed, more O2 is added to the headspace, increasing the partial pressure, and allowing more dissolution. Looks like a complicated situation to model correctly, which is why I made the comment about how the calculation was done that says the total O2 from the serving CO2 is ok, but the total O2 from force carbing plus serving is too much.

Brew on :mug:

thanks for the reply, btw.
ah, problematic as I don't have any pumps. oh well
I don't use a pump for the underlet. Simply let gravity drain from HLT at counter height to MLT on floor. I actually restrict the flow to keep it slow.

as an excerpt from the article

"Furthermore, you can also verify with your dissolved oxygen meter that another
1-2 ppm of oxygen diffuses into the wort per hour from the atmosphere. In our
experiments, we have found that even 1 ppm of dissolved oxygen present at any
time during the entire hot side of the process is enough to ensure the loss of fresh malt flavors from the beer."

any lid on my keggle is going to have sizable headspace. unless I come up with some sort of floating flexible mat
Yes, that is what the article says, but there's always a starting point from which you aim to improve. Using a small (think sparge water dosage rate) of NaMeta at flameout should give you some insurance for a period of time - how long exactly is totally unknown to me.

The gist for me is:
Work with what I got and determine for myself if there is improvement in the end product. If I am willing, or able, to implement all of the changes to severe oxygen reduction and never realize the benefits then going back to my normal process is easy. My hangups are coldside (easy enough to test with FFT and early racking, or bite the bullet for a spunding setup) and copper (I'll be testing with SS soon).

Right now I'm brewing UK ales using much of the low oxygen methods without any expectations of much change from normal (however, hopeful for some above-average character), but am mostly practicing the processes so that when I'm fully ready I'll do a nice german pilsner using the full method for both hot and cold sides.

I've been following this thread since the 5th post. I really enjoy the passion this has been sparked on all sides of the debate.

My intuition is that there is merit to the OP's claims. There are a lot of people who say it's difficult to reproduce at the homebrew level, and possibly, unnecessary extra work, but do realize this is the Germans we are talking about.

There are several references in the paper I find questionable, such as steam purging brewing plumbing to reduce/eliminate oxygen (The steam may initially do so, but when it condenses it will create a vacuum that will draw in atmospheric air).

This is easily solved. Steam purge your pipes right before they are needed and have all the valves on the pipe closed. When you open up the valve from your pump side you'll only be pulling against the pump/tank, which will quickly equalize.

Even if you get a little air in the system, it is common practice in breweries to also send the first X amount of product to a drain before sending it to another tank or to a filler. (I have personally seen in filler control programs logic to monitor the DO in the filler bowl and dump it to a drain if it gets too high.) We do something similar at the plant i work at with shampoo that mixes with water after pipes are flushed because there is a short interface in the pipe where mixing does occur.

and mashing under a 'blanket' of inert gas (gasses do not behave that way, diffusion will rapidly mix all gasses in the headspace.)

Use steam to purge the head space. Maintain positive pressure. Once the air is out it's not coming back in if you have positive pressure.

What I haven't seen anything about is how the decreasing beer to headspace (and thus O2) ratio during serving allows the class 1 species to keep up with the ever increasing amount of O2 in the headspace. The partial pressure of O2 in the headspace will decrease with time as the O2 in the headspace dissolves into the beer, and is consumed by the class 1 species. DO consumption reduces the equilibrium partial pressure, so more headspace O2 will dissolve. As the beer is consumed, more O2 is added to the headspace, increasing the partial pressure, and allowing more dissolution. Looks like a complicated situation to model correctly, which is why I made the comment about how the calculation was done that says the total O2 from the serving CO2 is ok, but the total O2 from force carbing plus serving is too much.

This is what I was getting at, but you said it a heck of a lot better than I did. In addition, length of exposure comes into play as well, does it not? ie, the exposure in a half-full keg over a day's time has a different effect than the same keg over the course of a week or two? If I dispense all of my beer at once it certainly would not be the same as if I dispense it over the course of a month, no?

I'm just trying to get to the point where I can understand overall net benefit. If the extra effort (krausening, spunding valve, etc) of natural carbing goes out the window when my half-full keg sits idle for a week with commercial CO2 sitting on top of it, then I haven't gained anything.

Actually it isn't at all. That's why we have double blind triangle tests!

Here I have a second opportunity this week to tell a favorite story of mine in this regard. About 3 yrs ago I was asked to write a chapter on beer color for a book Charlie Bamforth was doing (the final proof just went out today - hurrah). At right about that time ASC sent me a notice of a webinar in which Charlie was the featured speaker and the subject was beer color. Seemed to me it would be a good idea to watch that webinar and I did. In it he said "we taste with our eyes". I think everybody knows that but I was shortly after that invited to a gathering at which many of the local beer cognoscenti ((pro's, Master judges....) were to be present. I took two growlers containing similar lagers. One was darker than the other. I asked for criticism and comparative comments from several of these people and the distinctions they were able to draw astounded me. How much richer the dark beer was, how the one had more vanilla notes and on and on. One little lady asked if she could try nd upon tasting the two apologetically explained that she really didn't know anything about beer and was just accompanying her boyfriend but that she really couldn't taste any difference at all. I expect that you have figured out what the deal was by now. The emperor had no clothes. It was the same beer in the two growlers with a little Sinamar (I don't think the color difference could have been as much as 5 SRM). When my duplicity was revealed several people were pretty angry. One guy didn't speak to me for over a year and I didn't get invited back.

The point is, of course, that if you want to taste something badly enough, you will. As I said at the outset, this is widely enough appreciated that we use double (yes, even telegraphing of the 'right' answer to the taster can be a problem - look up der Kluge Hans) triangle tests with the triangle part being there to be sure the taster can correctly detect that there even is a difference.

So I think the guys are absolutely right to express the healthy skepticism that they have shown here. The devotees speak of the technique with almost religious fervor and wherever one sees that he is well advised to step back and say "Well let's see." Quotation from the Holy Books is often used in support of hypotheses such as the current one and I note that his is being done here. Kunze's book contains at least one glaring error (which the aforementioned Charlie Bamforth propagated by quoting in a fairly recent paper) and in fact he has very little to say about oxygen exclusion from mash including a statement to the effect that one should not minimize the oxygen content of a mash but rather reduce it.

None of this is to say that I think the thesis is a bad one. To some extent it makes sense. But you really want people to question and challenge and even try to prove you wrong. If you are on solid ground you will be vindicated.

I am curious about the last part of your sentence where you write that Kunze states that the oxygen content of a mash should not be minimized. If Kunze himself is not concerned with minimizing oxygen in the mash then what's all the hubbub?

This is what I was getting at, but you said it a heck of a lot better than I did. In addition, length of exposure comes into play as well, does it not? ie, the exposure in a half-full keg over a day's time has a different effect than the same keg over the course of a week or two? If I dispense all of my beer at once it certainly would not be the same as if I dispense it over the course of a month, no?

I'm just trying to get to the point where I can understand overall net benefit. If the extra effort (krausening, spunding valve, etc) of natural carbing goes out the window when my half-full keg sits idle for a week with commercial CO2 sitting on top of it, then I haven't gained anything.
Yes time certainly has a lot to do with it. Both for O2 absorption rate into the beer, and O2 reaction rate with compounds in the beer.

One thing the folks overlook about the "30 ppm" of O2 in food/beverage grade CO2, is that's the upper limit specification, not an actual measurement. I was googling around a couple days ago, and found a purported actual measurement of O2 in food/beverage grade CO2 -- 0.25 ppm! (sorry didn't keep the link.) So the 30 ppm just tells you what the worst case can be.

You guys have been getting a lot of compliments, criticism and opinions. (edit: I appreciate the work you undertook to write this article and your generosity to share it) To add my own request, I think it would behoove you to do DO measurements to some serving kegs and report on it. I expect some converts on this site will be able to, but at a later date. I imagine it takes time to dial in a system.

Yes time certainly has a lot to do with it. Both for O2 absorption rate into the beer, and O2 reaction rate with compounds in the beer.

One thing the folks overlook about the "30 ppm" of O2 in food/beverage grade CO2, is that's the upper limit specification, not an actual measurement. I was googling around a couple days ago, and found a purported actual measurement of O2 in food/beverage grade CO2 -- 0.25 ppm! (sorry didn't keep the link.) So the 30 ppm just tells you what the worst case can be.

It's a very good point and a huge concern. IIRC Lagers here in Europe are pushed with a 40/60 mix od co2/N.

The consensus is that it tastes much better.

Hope this helps

Well beergas of some type... sure. That has the added advantage of eliminating any chance of over-carbonation on a higher-pressure run. If a beergas or nitro mix of some type fixes this issue, then that seems to make the natural carbonation much more worthwhile.

Not sure whether that's a switch I'm ready to make yet. I'll prolly scour the threads to see how feasible that may be to do on a homebrew scale. I can get CO2 filled easily, but not sure how available a nitro or beergas tank would be to me. Would be nice to bump up the dispense pressure as I've got a bit of a run from keg to tap.

Not trying to sidetrack this thread from the HSA stuff, but to me anyway I get the impression that the cold side effects are more easily detected by the flavor, and more easily controlled... for me at this time FWIW. One step at a time. : )

I am curious about the last part of your sentence where you write that Kunze states that the oxygen content of a mash should not be minimized. If Kunze himself is not concerned with minimizing oxygen in the mash then what's all the hubbub?

There were a couple of points in that post. First off, no one can claim that Kunze was an advocate of 0 oxygen as he clearly stated that some oxygen exposure is desirable. The second is that while Kunze was no slouch WRT brewing science he did make a mistake regarding the buffering of malt phosphate and Charlie Bamforth, who is also pretty good at this stuff, propagated it with the overall point being that even the expert among the experts can be wrong in some of their opinions. This isn't very comforting, I'm sure, to those who want unassailable answers but that's the way life is.

First, I'd like to thank rabeb25, techbrau & the other authors of the pdf from the original post in this thread. They clearly did a lot of reading, analysis, brewing, and measurement and I'm grateful for the time and effort they've spent in not only coming up with the "LoDO" technique, but in explaining and advocating it on this and other fora.

After I read the paper I decided to try the technique on a Bavarian Weissbier. I set aside my two beautiful copper Chillzillas and replaced them with a DIY 50-foot 3/8 stainless CFC (a chore to make) and replaced every other brass and copper fitting with stainless. I followed the instructions closely (conditioned milled malt, pre-boiled RO + CaCl strike water, quickly chilled, 100 ppm Sodium Metabisulfite, underlet full volume mash, <10% boil-off, chilled, pitched, oxygenated, fermented, transferred to CO2-purged keg with little headspace, and spunded. I left the keg at room temperature for a few days for the yeast to finish cleaning up and reach FG.

The one mistake I'm aware of was oxygenating with pure O2 for 60 seconds after pitching (apparently it's important to oxygenate more slowly, to give the yeast time to absorb). When I oxygenated I smelled burnt matches (SO2). Another shortfall: I do not have a DO meter.

I brewed this on Memorial Day (May 30th) and the initial tasting impression is that the beer is (nearly) undrinkable due to a strong sulfur (H2S, rotten egg) smell. My previous (non-LoDO) fermentations with WY3068 have smelled like sulfur during primary fermentation, but by kegging it was generally gone. To be clear: I'm not criticizing the authors or giving up on the LoDO technique, I'm just disseminating my early result.

I have a Helles fermenting now (50 ppm SMB) and I'm going to try an Irish Stout this weekend. I'll post the results when I have them.

Initially I bought a DO meter for excactly that purpose, controlling the o2 level when aerating the wort. It's very easy to overshot by quite a factor when using pure o2. As far as Weizen is concerned it's probably best to just use the o2 in the headspace of the fermenter rather than having 35 mgl of o2 in there. It happens surprisingly fast.

I never had that problem you had though. Did you use lab yeast or repitch (this symptom could be an infection)?

I did many geat wheat beers pre Lodo. What I noticed was that Lodo pushed it a few subtle notches up as far as the caramel flavours are concerned. So it's worth persisting. One never gets things right the first time. I'd recommend a do meter when working with pure o2 though. It's really quick to overshoot multiple times.

Brew on!

I made a 1 liter starter from a Wyeast smack pack. Contamination may have been a problem, but I would be very surprised.

I made a 1 liter starter from a Wyeast smack pack. Contamination may have been a problem, but I would be very surprised.

Nothing in what you did sounds like a specific culprit to zero in on (from my experience). Give it some more time. With spunden (and cold) fermentation, I'm re-finding my way on fermentation. More than anything mash related.

Last edited:
Pitching 20 to 30 million cells per ml, at what point do you even need o2? I've thought of zero o2 pitches for IPAs, especially with wlp644

For lager that's the right cell count.

For ales this is too high.

I did this mistake once. The end result was a beer that was way too yeasty tasting with a not so nice nose.... It was as if someone farted in the bottle.

Maybe this is why the wheat beer didn't turn out right?

Over pitching by 100% really isn't a good idea. I never thought it would have such drastic effect until I made the mistake.

For lager that's the right cell count.

For ales this is too high.

I did this mistake once. The end result was a beer that was way too yeasty tasting with a not so nice nose.... It was as if someone farted in the bottle.

Maybe this is why the wheat beer didn't turn out right?

Over pitching by 100% really isn't a good idea. I never thought it would have such drastic effect until I made the mistake.

Wait, what? A 1 liter starter in a 5 gallon batch is overpitching?

Side note: "farts" is an apt description.

Last edited:

the article suggests a pitching rate much higher than what a 1 liter starter will get you. unless 20-30 million per ml was a typo

wait nvm, I was reading my pitch calculator wrong

Last edited:
the article suggests a pitching rate much higher than what a 1 liter starter will get you. unless 20-30 million per ml was a typo
I think there's confusion between pitching a Helles at 5-6ºC according to the paper and pitching a Hefeweizen that Indevrede brewed that he probably pitched at 15ºC+. 10-18 million/mL (.75-1.5 million/mL/ºP) would be more like it for a Hefe depending on the phenol level you prefer...1L stirplate starter would have been just barely ok for 5 gallons, IMO.

I didn't find this mentioned in the thread or in the PDF, but if I missed it I apologize. What DO meter are you all using? I have been very interested in getting one, but have had trouble finding one at a reasonable price. Any recommendations?

JG

It's best to keep it in cell count range to avoid confusions.

For wheat beer the cell count is 5-15 million cells per ml. If you use volumes like for lager, then you most definitively over pitched. That yeasty, fart whiff is most definitively an indication that this is what may have happened.

I didn't find this mentioned in the thread or in the PDF, but if I missed it I apologize. What DO meter are you all using? I have been very interested in getting one, but have had trouble finding one at a reasonable price. Any recommendations?

JG

I recommended the extech DO600 to techbrau and rabeb25 back then. They were very happy with it and kept recommending it to others.

It's best to keep it in cell count range to avoid confusions.

For wheat beer the cell count is 5-15 million cells per ml. If you use volumes like for lager, then you most definitively over pitched. That yeasty, fart whiff is most definitively an indication that this is what may have happened.

So we're clear: For the Weissbier (1 liter starter), my pitch rate was 5 million cells per mL. I targeted low according to the wisdom of the interwebs.

The smell is not "yeasty", it's egg-sulfur-fart. H2S, I believe.

Side note: Early result from the Helles I brewed on Tuesday (3 days into attenuative phase @ 8 deg C, pitched ): Intense sweet malty aroma, zero sulfur. For this Helles I reduced the SMB from 100 ppm to 50 ppm, compared to the Weissbier.

Indeed, that's a possibility as well. I always argued to only use as much as necessary.

Without a DO meter it's difficult to adjust for one's system.

Pitching rate looks fine.

I'd lower my SMB dosage for wheat beer then.

The most important bit is to have Degassed water at dough in - as far as I can tell. This works very well with bottom fermenting yeasts. For wheat beer this may be a different animal.

Sadly, we don't have the means for exact analysis and are flying blind and by trial and error.

I made some lovely wheat beers with 50 mgl SMB.

Fermentation temperature may also be a factor, but that's a wild guess.

I ferment my wheats around 18C and enhance the 4-vinyl guaiacol (if desired) by means of a maltase mash.

I'd lower the SMB first.

So we're clear: For the Weissbier (1 liter starter), my pitch rate was 5 million cells per mL. I targeted low according to the wisdom of the interwebs.

The smell is not "yeasty", it's egg-sulfur-fart. H2S, I believe.

Side note: Early result from the Helles I brewed on Tuesday (3 days into attenuative phase @ 8 deg C, pitched ): Intense sweet malty aroma, zero sulfur. For this Helles I reduced the SMB from 100 ppm to 50 ppm, compared to the Weissbier.

Hey, just a question... did you reduce the sparge water to 10-25ppm SMB? I missed this on my original (2) readings of the paper as I normally make all Hot Liquor I need at one time. In my planned attempt to try this I will need to separate my strike water from my sparge water as they will require different SMB concentrations.

Did my first lodo on Saturday (APA no dry hop). Had a nightmare of a time. Steel mash cap was held up by sitting on silicone tubing. Tubing softened and cap sank down. I didn't have much head room anyway (BIAB no sparge). Then burner blew out at t30 boil in wind and couldn't get going for around 10 minutes.

I am doing full lodo process. Boil then chill, smb, mill conditioned grains, mash for 60. Raise bag gently (I got zero splashing so BIAB seems good to me). Simmer boil for 60, chill , put 1l yeast starter at high Krausen into 23l keg and drain kettle directly onto yeast. Let sit for 30 min then did three 20 sec blasts of O2 at 30 min intervals.

Im using techbraus fermenting setup which is fermenting keg hooked to serving keg gas out to beer in line with spunding valve on receiving keg at 2 to 3 psi.

I forgot to taste mash but did taste before pitching. It is a completely different flavour. It's super sweet and kinda tastes like honey. Basic grain bill of base plus med crystal and carapils. The taste makes me think I was successful. I had a DO meter but the one they sent was faulty and being replaced. I'll only be able to test final product but confident I'll reach the low O2.

Did my first lodo on Saturday (APA no dry hop). Had a nightmare of a time. Steel mash cap was held up by sitting on silicone tubing. Tubing softened and cap sank down. I didn't have much head room anyway (BIAB no sparge). Then burner blew out at t30 boil in wind and couldn't get going for around 10 minutes.

I am doing full lodo process. Boil then chill, smb, mill conditioned grains, mash for 60. Raise bag gently (I got zero splashing so BIAB seems good to me). Simmer boil for 60, chill , put 1l yeast starter at high Krausen into 23l keg and drain kettle directly onto yeast. Let sit for 30 min then did three 20 sec blasts of O2 at 30 min intervals.

Im using techbraus fermenting setup which is fermenting keg hooked to serving keg gas out to beer in line with spunding valve on receiving keg at 2 to 3 psi.

I forgot to taste mash but did taste before pitching. It is a completely different flavour. It's super sweet and kinda tastes like honey. Basic grain bill of base plus med crystal and carapils. The taste makes me think I was successful. I had a DO meter but the one they sent was faulty and being replaced. I'll only be able to test final product but confident I'll reach the low O2.

How did you raise your bag? I'm BIAB and am following this thread. I read where someone had a pulley and just raised the bag about an inch at a time which reduced splashing. They didn't squeeze the bag either, which I would think you would need to account for a 10-20% drop in efficiency.

How did you raise your bag? I'm BIAB and am following this thread. I read where someone had a pulley and just raised the bag about an inch at a time which reduced splashing. They didn't squeeze the bag either, which I would think you would need to account for a 10-20% drop in efficiency.

I used a ratchet pulley and just pulled a fraction of an inch at a time. No squeeze, and I'm usually a squeezer. My efficiency did not drop because I let the bag drain sufficiently before moving it to the side.

I used a ratchet pulley and just pulled a fraction of an inch at a time. No squeeze, and I'm usually a squeezer. My efficiency did not drop because I let the bag drain sufficiently before moving it to the side.

You were probably the one I was thinking about then.

That's good news on the efficiency. How long did the total drain take? How long did you let each pull drain? I'm only doing 3.25 gallon batches, so my grain bill isn't the normal 5 gallon batch size.

You were probably the one I was thinking about then.

That's good news on the efficiency. How long did the total drain take? How long did you let each pull drain? I'm only doing 3.25 gallon batches, so my grain bill isn't the normal 5 gallon batch size.

Didn't time the total drain time. I pulled it from the kettle just before the boil started, so maybe 20 minutes.

Time between pulls varied too. At first the liquid comes out rapidly, then it slows. I'd say on average 45 seconds to a minute at the beginning.

Hmm, this is interesting:tank:. From their data LowLOX Malt doesn't do anything to stop oxygen uptake. What they did was selectively breed 2-row to come up with a strand that does not contain the lipoxygenase (LOX) enzymes. The iron containing LOX is required to form the acids that are a precursor, along with oxygen, to trans-2-nonenal. The trans-2-nonenal that is created is bound to proteins and sulphites and is slowly released during storage. It is what causes the "cardboard" oxidation flavor at concentrations above 0.1ppm.

Back