Installing gas struts to the lid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewbush

Reaction score
For those of you who use gas struts to help open the top of the keezer with either the original lid on top of collar or a coffin build, how do you calculate where to attach the ball joints on the collar and then onto the lid?

Mine were simple 16 inch, lightweight struts from amazon I want to use to lift up the lid that will be attached to my collar. I may be reading too much into it, but I am not sure where to attach the mounting brackets to the lid or the inside of the collar?

Thanks

The mounting will depend on the compressed length of the strut and how much lift assistance you want on the lid.

You will need to attach it so that the two mounting points are approximately the compressed length apart with the lid closed. Putting those two points closer to the opening side for a small opening that is easy to lift, closer to the hinge side for a bigger opening that's harder to lift.

Measure the strut and mark the mounting points with the lid closed (as best you can) and then install the strut to those marks with the lid open. There is some wiggle room since the strut doesn't have to compress all the way when the lid is closed.

20170112_103419.jpg

Back