Input on hop schedule for IPL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtfan99

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Brewing an IPL tomorrow (yes, lager...reusing yeast and experimenting a bit). Base recipe (10 gallons) 20lbs 2 Row, 6lbs Munich, 2 lbs 60L

I have the following hops on hand:
Galaxy
Mosaic
Centennial
El Dorado
Simcoe

I've never used Galaxy, Mosaic or El Dorado before and would appreciate some suggestions on which ones to use, how much, and when.

Thanks!

The hoppy lagers I've done never pack that wallop of really fresh hops, i think due to the time involved in lagering. I've gotten prominent, big flavor and aroma from my hop additions, but never super fresh/ripe. For that reason, I'd suggest staying away from the newer candy/fruit hops and going with centennial or maybe simcoe?

Timing-wise, I don't think there's anything divergent from hopping a lager or an ale, except that if you plan to lager your beer for a few weeks or longer, be aware that some of the flavor and a lot of the aroma will be a bit muted. The solution? Hop the everloving crap out of it! I've dry-hopped during lagering for a bout 2 weeks before and it went well. did that with northern brewer, cascade, and ekg, totaling 1 oz./gallon.

I would do this, personal preference btw

1oz simco @60
2oz simco @FO
2oz galexy @FO
2oz mosaic @FO

Dry hop at end of lagering for 5 days with the same hops 2oz each.

I would half the crystal addition or eliminate it; you want the hops to take center stage.
Pretty much any of the hops listed would work fine as the bitter charge at 60-90 minutes.
I don't like my IPA tasting like grapefruit so I tend to avoid 20 minute additions.
Much of the Aroma additions at flame out will precipitate out during the lagering process unless you hop the crap out of it, 4-8 oz.
Alternatively you should dry hop it with 4-8 oz of hops on the last week in secondary.

You're going to love Galaxy/Mosaic. I would use the cheaper hops in the boil/whirlpool. Some people use all Columbus in the boil then dry hop/keg hop with the fancy varieties. In your case, Centennial would be a great candidate. Not only does it make a great IPA (Bells 2 Hearted) but the hops are usually cheap.

After fermentation and a couple weeks of lagering, I would transfer to a keg/brite tank with your dry hops in it. Bring that up to room temp to really let the hop oils dissolve, then cold crash it and pressure transfer to your serving keg

Liking all the input so far. It seems the consensus is to do some bittering at 60 and then essentially do nothing until after the beer is lagered? Or is there still value in some later kettle additions (5 min, FO)? I understand that the lagering process works against the hops and I'd like to avoid using massive quantities to combat that if thats possible.

Looking at this in BeerSmith with just 2oz of Centennial at 60 minutes (10 gallon batch, 7.5%AA), my IBUs are only 23. Do I care? Will I get enough hop flavor and aroma by dry hopping after lagering with 4-6oz per 5 gallons?

Liking all the input so far. It seems the consensus is to do some bittering at 60 and then essentially do nothing until after the beer is lagered? Or is there still value in some later kettle additions (5 min, FO)? I understand that the lagering process works against the hops and I'd like to avoid using massive quantities to combat that if thats possible.

Looking at this in BeerSmith with just 2oz of Centennial at 60 minutes (10 gallon batch, 7.5%AA), my IBUs are only 23. Do I care? Will I get enough hop flavor and aroma by dry hopping after lagering with 4-6oz per 5 gallons?
I would maybe using something higher alpha (columbus/warrior/magnum) for the bittering and then load up the kettle with centennial late in the boil. Maybe 3oz or so

I agree, I would aim somewhere between 40-60 ibus on you 60-90 minute addition. Use any high alpha hop, you look to have several.
Dry hopping won't get you any bitterness.

So how did it go?

Too cold at moment for me to make ales and my chamber can only cool and not increase heat so I can only make lagers at the moment. Planning to make a ipl after making a "normal" lager.

With ipas I still prefer to add hops at 15min, flameout and then dry hopping after 1 week of fermenting. I think ill reduce, but not eliminate the flameout hops and increase the dryhopping after lagering.

I ended up going with a pretty good hop addition at 60 minutes...50 IBU worth and then some Galaxy and Centennial at 15. Given that I would be lagering for a bit, I didn't do any flame out additions. I fermented around 50 for about 10 days, D-rest for 2-3, then cold crashed to 40 for about 10 days. I racked to secondary then and it had a pretty nice flavor and good bitterness. No real flavor burst or aroma, which is to be expected.

I raised the temp to about 68 for 3-4 days during the dry hop. I did 5 gallons with centennial and galaxy and the other 5 with centennial and mosaic. I hope to keg this weekend.

Back