Initial runoff speed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer3401

Reaction score
I did a search before writing this as to not duplicate a question.

Using a braided tube (Schmidiling product).

How many of you would pull hard to get about a gallon, shut down, then resume very slowly until wort runs clear.

Years ago, I would usually get clear wort pretty fast - can't remember if I started very slow or pulled hard to get the filter bed to set.

Last brew it took about 4 gallons to get what I call "clear" - only first 1/2 gallon had particles. Wort ran crystal clear after about 3 gallons into brew kettle.

But, with Katrina and work, I'm just getting back into brewing (been a little over 5 years)

Thanks for any advice.

Congrats on getting back to your hobby, 3401!

FWIW, I vorlauf slowly and usually about 1/2 gallon. It seems clear to me before then, usually, but I let it go. Then after vorlaufing, I still start it slow and gradually open it up, if there seem to be no stuck sparge problems. I've only had one stuck sparge (knock on wood).

Congrats on getting back to your hobby, 3401!

FWIW, I vorlauf slowly and usually about 1/2 gallon. It seems clear to me before then, usually, but I let it go. Then after vorlaufing, I still start it slow and gradually open it up, if there seem to be no stuck sparge problems. I've only had one stuck sparge (knock on wood).

I get pretty clear after 2 quarts also.

I guess I'll stick with the "barely coming out", then slowly increase the flow rate.

Thanks for your input.

I forgot to mention - if I'm using more than a pound or two of wheat malt, I add a couple handfuls of rice hulls to the mash. The one stuck sparge I had was a mash with about 30% wheat malt and no rice hulls.

I vorlof nearly wide open.
I don't wait for it to clear, just till the particles stop.
But, I use a false bottom.

I vorlof nearly wide open.
I don't wait for it to clear, just till the particles stop.
But, I use a false bottom.

I get very few particles when I run off - and my crush is excellent (Crankenstein 3 roller) - also, my efficiency is very high, usually 84%.

I use 1.50 qt/# water for 30 minutes, then top off my mash tun and mix again, wait 30 minutes and start the run off.

I guess I'm getting a good filter bed since I don't get many particles.

Also, once the water level in the mash tun is about 2" from the grain bed, I will start adding water and rake the bed.

I only goofed once and raked too deep and broke the filter bed.

It was the first time I did NOT drink while brewing - go figure.

Batch or fly sparging? Sounds like batch, but I wanna make sure because I don't fly sparge and have little to offer in that respect.

Back