[Initial Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, the NO-IP solution from the 3 or so posts aboove yours.

Ha. I guess I should have read my post before hitting send. I was trying to ask if the NO-IP allows full admin functionality or just viewing or both??

I will play with the NO IP when I get home tonight and probably answer my own question.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

No-ip simply allows you to have a web address (example: yournamehere.servebeer.com) point to your Taplist.

Admin functionality is already built into the Raspberry Pints interface, so you don't need to worry about whether you're viewing from inside your network, or out on the internets!

No-ip simply allows you to have a web address (example: yournamehere.servebeer.com) point to your Taplist.

Admin functionality is already built into the Raspberry Pints interface, so you don't need to worry about whether you're viewing from inside your network, or out on the internets!

In other words, yes.

Bought my hardware yesterday and got the software loaded. Then got it up and running today.

The setup instructions were very well written.

Thanks!

Finally got around to setting it all up the other night. Looks good! Did I miss any updates on when the flow meters might be integrated?

Have a spare monitor at home and just bought the raspberrypi module, case, and SD card reader. Will be working on setting this up this weekend. Can't wait!

Any plans to port this to the Banana Pi? :) Faster, more memory, Gigabit Ethernet, and SATA.

http://linuxgizmos.com/sbc-mimics-raspberry-pi-has-faster-cpu-adds-sata/

Not my project, but can't see why you'd bother - we're displaying a mostly static list of words and images. The processing power, data transfer speeds, and storage requirements for this setup are fairly minimal. Are there really any gains to be had by upgrading to a bigger, "better", more expensive option? I'd rather seem efforts put towards improving the existing build vs converting it to a new setup, but as I said - not my project. :p

Not my project, but can't see why you'd bother - we're displaying a mostly static list of words and images. The processing power, data transfer speeds, and storage requirements for this setup are fairly minimal. Are there really any gains to be had by upgrading to a bigger, "better", more expensive option? I'd rather seem efforts put towards improving the existing build vs converting it to a new setup, but as I said - not my project. :p

Well, you may have a point... but there's just something about having "faster/better" hardware. :) If we ever find a US distributor (like Amazon) the Banana Pi should be pretty competitive price-wise... right now the big difference in price is the shipping. :)

I got my motion sensor today and had it up and running in about 10 minutes. Thanks for the great instructions! Then I added the sound. First, I had music. Then I loaded espeak and it said, "Joe is a goof. Stay away from my slobber." Joe is my neighbor and he likes my caribou slobber :) (He also brews and I know he will see this post)

Anyway, it went off every 5 seconds, so I modified the delay. The more I think about it, though, I think I'll wait for sound until the flow sensors come out. I'll have a specific sound for each tap. "Stay away from the slobber" for the caribou slobber... "Mind your pee" for the skeeter pee... and so on. There are so many fun things to do! I think my wife is scared. I know Joe's is.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed directly or indirectly to all of this! And Day_Tripper, thanks for making this so easy for the screen saver!

Uh huh - you just wait until I get mine set up mister. It's gonna be legen..... Wait for it....

DARY!

It will work on the BananaPi - it runs Linux and you're just running a very simple webserver and database.

Anyone find a good hack/enclosure for the PIR motion sensor yet?

Kinda - though not a permanent or eloquent solution. I cut a piece of black cardboard into a shape that folded into a tiny box with an open bottom just big enough to fit the sensor, cut a hole in the top for the PIR dome, taped it together, stuffed the sensor up inside, then taped the assembly (upside down) to the bottom edge of the monitor.

It picks people up about 10 feet from the faucets. With the wire hidden behind the monitor first timers never notice it - and when the tap list magically appears they always ask what the heck just happened ;)

Cheers!

I am not sure how I did it but it's up and running. After this I understand how my mom feels when she calls me to ask for help with her email. Thank you everyone for your help & time & this very cool set up. The last step, I need to brew beer to fill my kegs so I can tap it! :mug:

Anyone find a good hack/enclosure for the PIR motion sensor yet?
I bought a clear plastic box in the Office supplies section of Walmart. I think it was 79 cents. Used an razor knife to cut a hole in the top (7/8" x 7/8") and used a dab of silicone to hold it in place. Hardly noticeable and works great.

I bought a clear plastic box in the Office supplies section of Walmart. I think it was 79 cents. Used an razor knife to cut a hole in the top (7/8" x 7/8") and used a dab of silicone to hold it in place. Hardly noticeable and works great.

What is/was the box's original intent? to hold paper clips?

Just so I know what I am looking for... :)

So I promised a photo, and here it finally is - thanks everyone!
-Kevin
dWWACHT.jpg

What is/was the box's original intent? to hold paper clips?

Just so I know what I am looking for... :)

I don't remember but it was the only small plastic box in the office supplies section. Next time I go to WM I'll try to remember to take a look and give better info.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

thanks to the rpints team for a real interesting project. was able to get my Pi up and running in a few hours.. it helps to know command line linux but you can find your way well with the good step by step guide from the RPints website.

i dug into the CSS quite a bit and modified the look and feel pretty extensively, was able to use some Debian packages to install alternate fonts and the final product, because it's a browser-based experience is really quite easy to modify to your liking and you can take advantage of the built-in tools of chromium to test css changes before committing them to the file.

I'll post some screencaps of alternate themes (look & feel) in the next few days as i play around with it some more, like white with dark copy, san serif fonts, condensed fonts, etc.

It would be an interesting add-on for the RPints program to post a library of additional CSS files to make it easy for users to update look and feel of their instance of RPints, almost like a theming program.

I also had the idea based on the motion sensor idea mentioned in earlier posts - for some their keezer is located in living space rather than a man cave or garage and constant motion near the keezer would keep the taplist on constantly. what about replacing the motion sensor with a pressure switch that could be located beneath a doormat or small run in front of the tap? so that the display only activated when you were standing in front of the taps? anyone have thoughts on such a switch? sources or possible hardware to use? the rest of implementation should be similar to that of the motion sensor i would imagine.

What file did you edit? i was trying to change the color of the font in the style.css file, but it didn't make any changes. I was using the one in the master folder. I have had very little exposure to CSS, but it doesn't appear to be that complicated if you can just find the right place to put things. Thanks for the help!

You forgot the step to delete index.htm or index.html from /var/www (I honestly forget which I wrote... try these).

Code:
sudo rm /var/www/index.htm
sudo rm /var/www/index.html

I believe that I am having a similar issue, but have not yet been able to figure it out. I can log in and access everything from a laptop, but the raspberry pi will not display anything other than the default "It works!" screen upon rebooting. Entering the suggested "sudo rm /var/www/index.htm" and "sudo rm /var/www/index.html" commands did not appear to change anything. One departure from the instructions that I had to make was moving the downloaded files from "downloads" to the home folder.

Does anyone have any hints or suggestions that might help me get this up and running? Any and all advise is appreciated.

You have no index.php at all. Did you delete it?

You also have no index.htm or index.html that shipped with the package installers, so it makes no logical sense that you'd see "It works!", as that's just read from index.htm or index.html.

You need to dig index.php out of the ZIP file and place it in /var/www. Best use the GUI if you aren't super fresh with command line interface.

Thanks for your help. It's possible that I deleted index.php at some point. I just added it back into /var/www. This does not appear to change the "It works!" default screen, however. I'm not sure if there is anything else that should be done.

Pretty sure this will be perfect for the motion sensor. It is a kids pencil sharpener with shaving collection case. The sharpener comes apart.
I don't have my sensor yet so here is a 1" diameter googly eye for reference.
I can wire through the top plastic with no problems.

$1.38 at Target.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1398548027.919483.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1398548098.911319.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys, first off, thanks for this!! Second, I have this monitor:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009H0XQPA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Is it possible for me to display 8 tap horizontally? Right now, I can only get 5 to display. I can get all if I turn vertically, but I really want to keep it functional as a tv display as well

Thanks again!

Caleb

There is currently no adjustability for row height built in.

It's a feature I hope to write as soon as the flow meter release is done.

BTW, why would you use a $270 2650x1440 monitor for a TV? Blu-ray doesn't go past 1920x1080 60hz, and even then you'd have an odd scaling ratio.

Last edited by a moderator:
What file did you edit? i was trying to change the color of the font in the style.css file, but it didn't make any changes. I was using the one in the master folder. I have had very little exposure to CSS, but it doesn't appear to be that complicated if you can just find the right place to put things. Thanks for the help!

Yes,it's style.css in the rpints folder.
Each font style has a color specified. They will be in the classes for H1, H2, etc and will have a hex code for the color like color: #ffffff

Replace the ffffff with another hex color value, save the file and reload the browser to see the new change.

Thanks! I figured out where my problem was. I was editing the file in the rpints-master folder, not the /var/www/ folder. My font is yellow now and looks great on the green background.

Tried to back up my Pi with Win32DiskImager but getting an error message.
-SD card is not locked(using only the micro part)
-I'm the admin
Read online you should have only one partition for it to work.
Any help would be appreciated.:D

Error 5.JPG

Tx was on that site but was afraid to delete the partitions. My card show I have 3 partitions.
Will it be ok to delete them?

Back