[Initial Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was keeping my fingers crossed, I would be able to do this without help. I am stuck and I don't want to move forward until I correct it. I have installed the OS. During the set up I adjusted the Local Timezone. But I did not do the Overscan settings, Changing Password, Boot Environment settings. How do I get back into Raspberry Pi from the Raspbian desktop to complete those steps? I have searched this thread and I am sure I just missed an answer to my question.

I believe the menu is called raspi-config but I don't recall how to open it. I thought you just wanted back into the other screen. I'll keep looking to see if I can find it...

From any terminal, including LX:

Code:
sudo raspi-config

http://elinux.org/RPi_raspi-config

Alternatively, raspi-config is just a GUI that modifies a portion of the settings available in /boot/config.ini, so you can edit manually with:

Code:
sudo nano /boot/config.ini

The full range of settings available for RPiconfig:

http://elinux.org/RPiconfig

Wow, this took me forever to do today. I have no clue when it comes to programming and had to restart twice but finally got everything working fine! Thanks for all the hard work you guys put into this, this is going to be awesome when on display above my kegerator.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I had to walk away from it yesterday thinking Ill go back at it with a fresh mind and a positive attitude today. That did not work... I am stuck trying to unzip RasperberryPints the error code I get is "unzip: cannot find or open RaspberryPints-1.0.3.395.zip or RaspberryPints-1.0.3.395.zip.zip or RaspberryPints-1.0.3.395.zip.ZIP". I can see the file in the downloads, in/home/pi/downloads. I am so close to the end.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I had to walk away from it yesterday thinking Ill go back at it with a fresh mind and a positive attitude today. That did not work... I am stuck trying to unzip RasperberryPints the error code I get is "unzip: cannot find or open RaspberryPints-1.0.3.395.zip or RaspberryPints-1.0.3.395.zip.zip or RaspberryPints-1.0.3.395.zip.ZIP". I can see the file in the downloads, in/home/pi/downloads. I am so close to the end.

Would be a lot easier if we could see what's going on.

Type these:

Code:
cd /home/pi
ls -l

Then run the unzip command, take a picture or screenshot, and post it here.

Just re-read above.

/home/pi/downloads, you say? That's odd, haven't seen that folder before. Perhaps it's new in NOOBS v1.3.4.

Ensure your unzip command has the downloads folder named in it, or move the zip file back up to /home/pi.

Got my PI up and running, am able to add beers, kegs, and taps. However, after I deleted the sample data and created my own Beer/Keg/Tap, I can no longer select a keg number from the drop down box. Everything auto populates just fine, but I can't actually tap anything because it wont let me select a keg number. Any Ideas? Also is there a way to center the logo and resize it? Kind of my Schrod's Kegerface layout?

Thanks! This project is just way to much fun!

Got my PI up and running, am able to add beers, kegs, and taps. However, after I deleted the sample data and created my own Beer/Keg/Tap, I can no longer select a keg number from the drop down box. Everything auto populates just fine, but I can't actually tap anything because it wont let me select a keg number. Any Ideas?

You have no kegs with an appropriate status for tapping. Try PRIMARY, SECONDARY, CONDITIONING, AGING, etc. They'll be switched to SERVING automatically once you tap the keg.

Also is there a way to center the logo and resize it? Kind of my Schrod's Kegerface layout?

Not at this time. You're welcome to go elbow-deep in index.php to make it happen, though.

Just re-read above.

/home/pi/downloads, you say? That's odd, haven't seen that folder before. Perhaps it's new in NOOBS v1.3.4.

Ensure your unzip command has the downloads folder named in it, or move the zip file back up to /home/pi.

The first time I downloaded it yesterday it went into home/pi. The second time it went into the downloads folder. All I did was cut and paste into home/pi to fix it.

Is there an existing way or planned future way to choose different fonts for the tap list display?

I'd love to be able to choose a sans serif font if possible.

[...]You're welcome to go elbow-deep in index.php to make it happen, though.

LOL! Don't forget the css and html files, too! I'm pretty sure I was neck deep in all of that and found it was way easier to implement temperature sensors and motion detection than to make much headway tweaking the gui ;)

Cheers!

I was not able to do a screen shot but I cut and pasted it below. I moved the files from the download folder to the /pi/home folder and ran the unip command. Looks like that worked. When i ran the next command sudo mv RaspberryPints below is the message i got?

inflating: RaspberryPints-1.0.3.395/install/includes/jquery-2.1.0.min.js
inflating: RaspberryPints-1.0.3.395/install/includes/jquery.validate.js
inflating: RaspberryPints-1.0.3.395/install/includes/sql_parse.php
inflating: RaspberryPints-1.0.3.395/install/index.php
inflating: RaspberryPints-1.0.3.395/install/styles.css
inflating: RaspberryPints-1.0.3.395/pint.ico
creating: RaspberryPints-1.0.3.395/sql/
inflating: RaspberryPints-1.0.3.395/sql/schema.sql
inflating: RaspberryPints-1.0.3.395/sql/test_data.sql
inflating: RaspberryPints-1.0.3.395/style.css
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ sudo mv Raspberrypints-1.0.3.395/* /var/www/
mv: cannot stat `Raspberrypints-1.0.3.395/*': No such file or directory
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ sudo mv RaspberryPints-1.0.3.395/* /var/www/
mv: cannot move `RaspberryPints-1.0.3.395/admin' to `/var/www/admin': Directory not empty
mv: cannot move `RaspberryPints-1.0.3.395/img' to `/var/www/img': Directory not empty
mv: cannot move `RaspberryPints-1.0.3.395/includes' to `/var/www/includes': Directory not empty
mv: cannot move `RaspberryPints-1.0.3.395/install' to `/var/www/install': Directory not empty
mv: cannot move `RaspberryPints-1.0.3.395/sql' to `/var/www/sql': Directory not empty
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ ;

Got all of my equipment in this morning (except for the motion sensor)
Went home at lunchtime to try to get a move on this.
Formated SD card (after figuring out the one I already had was only class 2 and then running to Walmart for a new one) and then started extracting NOOBS onto the card before I left to come back to work.

Quick question. I have a USB mouse and a USB keyboard but not a combo and they will take up both USB slots. Am I OK to work with this and then add the wireless adapter after I finish programming?

You'll need wireless to download the rpints packages, but at that point you could be using the keyboard without the mouse. It would be a pain, but you could switch back and forth a couple times of you really need to.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

...or you could get online with an Ethernet cable...

...or you could get online with an Ethernet cable...

I could use the ethernet for the setup and once that is finished, I could plug the wireless in and configure that, right?!

All configurations after that point, can be done from another unit on my network.

I could use the ethernet for the setup and once that is finished, I could plug the wireless in and configure that, right?!

All configurations after that point, can be done from another unit on my network.

Right on both counts. I set my 'Pi up using the hard wired nic (mostly to verify it worked) then switched to the wireless usb adapter without issue. Once I had the basic Raspberry Pints running I've been using WinSCP and Putty on my peecee to admin the 'Pi. All of my temp sensor and motion detection work was done without ever using the wee usb keyboard/track pad thingie...

Cheers!

Right on both counts. I set my 'Pi up using the hard wired nic (mostly to verify it worked) then switched to the wireless usb adapter without issue. Once I had the basic Raspberry Pints running I've been using WinSCP and Putty on my peecee to admin the 'Pi. All of my temp sensor and motion detection work was done without ever using the wee usb keyboard/track pad thingie...

Cheers!

I got mad at wireless, switched to wired. The modem and pi are in the same closet so why not?

Thinking I must had made an error in the set up at one of the steps to cause the error I'm getting. I went back and started over from the very beginning. When I got to the RPints Installation, I ran into the same issue. I was able to move the zip folder into the pi home folder and run the unzip command.

But when I ran the next command sudo mv RaspberryPints-1.0.3.395/* /var/www/

I received - missing destination file operation after sudo mv RaspberryPints-1.0.3.395/* /var/www/' Try 'mv --help' for more information

I am not going to give up!

Is there an existing way or planned future way to choose different fonts for the tap list display?

I'd love to be able to choose a sans serif font if possible.

Yes.

LOL! Don't forget the css and html files, too! I'm pretty sure I was neck deep in all of that and found it was way easier to implement temperature sensors and motion detection than to make much headway tweaking the gui ;)

Cheers!

Welcome behind the curtain. ;)

I was not able to do a screen shot but I cut and pasted it below. I moved the files from the download folder to the /pi/home folder and ran the unip command. Looks like that worked. When i ran the next command sudo mv RaspberryPints below is the message i got?

inflating: RaspberryPints-1.0.3.395/install/includes/jquery-2.1.0.min.js
inflating: RaspberryPints-1.0.3.395/install/includes/jquery.validate.js
inflating: RaspberryPints-1.0.3.395/install/includes/sql_parse.php
inflating: RaspberryPints-1.0.3.395/install/index.php
inflating: RaspberryPints-1.0.3.395/install/styles.css
inflating: RaspberryPints-1.0.3.395/pint.ico
creating: RaspberryPints-1.0.3.395/sql/
inflating: RaspberryPints-1.0.3.395/sql/schema.sql
inflating: RaspberryPints-1.0.3.395/sql/test_data.sql
inflating: RaspberryPints-1.0.3.395/style.css
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ sudo mv Raspberrypints-1.0.3.395/* /var/www/
mv: cannot stat `Raspberrypints-1.0.3.395/*': No such file or directory
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ sudo mv RaspberryPints-1.0.3.395/* /var/www/
mv: cannot move `RaspberryPints-1.0.3.395/admin' to `/var/www/admin': Directory not empty
mv: cannot move `RaspberryPints-1.0.3.395/img' to `/var/www/img': Directory not empty
mv: cannot move `RaspberryPints-1.0.3.395/includes' to `/var/www/includes': Directory not empty
mv: cannot move `RaspberryPints-1.0.3.395/install' to `/var/www/install': Directory not empty
mv: cannot move `RaspberryPints-1.0.3.395/sql' to `/var/www/sql': Directory not empty
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ ;

Odd. Empty /var/www of all sub-folders and files using the GUI, then delete the RaspberryPints folder from /home/pi/, unzip and try again.

Thinking I must had made an error in the set up at one of the steps to cause the error I'm getting. I went back and started over from the very beginning. When I got to the RPints Installation, I ran into the same issue. I was able to move the zip folder into the pi home folder and run the unzip command.

But when I ran the next command sudo mv RaspberryPints-1.0.3.395/* /var/www/

I received - missing destination file operation after sudo mv RaspberryPints-1.0.3.395/* /var/www/' Try 'mv --help' for more information

I am not going to give up!

Yeah, that's an odd error. It's telling you that /var/www/ doesn't exist, or that you at least forgot a space between the "/*" and "/var" in the command.

Why not indeed! :)

I wired most of my house with gigabit enet but my keezer is in an area that doesn't have a drop - yet. It's only 30 feet or so from one of the switches so eventually I may add a run to it. But the wifi nic has been solid so far, so I may just stick with that. Afaik the 'Pi wired nic is only 10/100 so it's not going to provide a huge performance increase over the wifi nic anyway.

Kinda OT: The SO and I are in the Caribbean for a couple of weeks, but I can check how my keezer is doing from down here. Not only is it reassuring to see its steady "heart beat" from a few thousand miles away, the whole tap list and temperature logger thing is a great conversation starter. I may be recruiting some future HBTers in the Bahamas! :D

Cheers!

I am getting thrown for a loop. I could only find a 4 GB SD Card. Went to install NOOBS on it tonight and then Raspbian. Not enough memory...
Crap... I am wondering if I can delete it all and instead of NOOBS, just install Raspbian?

Why not indeed! :)

I wired most of my house with gigabit enet but my keezer is in an area that doesn't have a drop - yet. It's only 30 feet or so from one of the switches so eventually I may add a run to it. But the wifi nic has been solid so far, so I may just stick with that. Afaik the 'Pi wired nic is only 10/100 so it's not going to provide a huge performance increase over the wifi nic anyway.

Kinda OT: The SO and I are in the Caribbean for a couple of weeks, but I can check how my keezer is doing from down here. Not only is it reassuring to see its steady "heart beat" from a few thousand miles away, the whole tap list and temperature logger thing is a great conversation starter. I may be recruiting some future HBTers in the Bahamas! :D

Cheers!

Agreed. Besides, I highly doubt the Pi could keep up with a gbit stream, even if the interface was there for it.

Since you seem to like network eye candy, here's my gbit install...

x0fI0.jpg

One Cisco E3000 dual-band N-router buried in the wall-mount rack (on the bottom tray, hidden from view), along with a Motorola Surfboard DOCSIS 3.0 modem (lights visible). Synology 2-bay x 3gb NAS below.

taEW7.jpg

Two Cisco E2000 2.4g N-routers, one on each end of the house.

aBD12.jpg

In addition to the two AP drops, there's a total of 9 drops each having: 2 always-hot gbit ethernet, 1 switched-hot (patched at the rack) gbit ethernet, 1 RG-6 quad-shield (split and patched at the rack) and 2 two-line telephones.

fB3nc.jpg

Each of the telephone jacks is mirrored to each other. In other words, you could connect one phone to the left telephone port at each drop and they'd all have identical signal for a party line. Same goes for the right ports. So you could run 2 phone lines with call waiting to each of the 9 locations, or 4 phone lines without call waiting to each of the 9 locations.

vNxPf.jpg

And here's the 24-way "telephone splitter" I made for $18.

1bW55.jpg

htDWm.jpg

Well, there's 1,000 ft of Cat6 riser-grade cable in a box. At 1.59 lbs/1k ft (23 AWG, solid), that's 12.72 lbs (8 conductors) of copper in the box.

Bare bright copper is worth about $2.90/lb at the scrap yard, so there's about $36.89 worth of copper in that $150 box of cable (24.6%).

For reference, a 1000' pull box contains almost exactly 31 lbs of this grade/type cable. So, 41% of the weight is copper. Clearly, much less by volume.

Yeah, those were insralled before I went wit rackmount power distribution. Hardly cost anything to wire them in, no reason to pull them out just to have to patch drywall.

Got mine running over the weekend, had some friends and neighbors over, it was quite popular and we drank WAY too much. I blame the RPints. Thanks guys!

Ok, trying to setup No-IP and running into some trouble. Heres what Ive done

Logged into no-ip and set up a domain, have the IP/URL set for 192.168.1.12 (my static IP of my RPi), host type is DNS-A

On my router I have a static ip for my RPi and port forwarding of 8080 for that IP address. This is where im lost and not sure what to do next, any help would be great, thanks

The IP address you give to the noip site needs to be your external public-facing address, not the LAN address. You then set up port forwarding on your router to point to the LAN address...

Cheers!

Logged into no-ip and set up a domain, have the IP/URL set for 192.168.1.12 (my static IP of my RPi), host type is DNS-A

On my router I have a static ip for my RPi and port forwarding of 8080 for that IP address. This is where im lost and not sure what to do next, any help would be great, thanks

Two big things wrong here.

1- Dont give no-ip your internal IP address. If anything, it should be your external internet-facing IP. Better yet, give it nothing and install the no-ip dynamic update client to the Pi. Thats it whole job, to update the IP.

You will need to point No-ip domain to your router/modem's IP, so that it can forward that request to your internal Pi's IP. I do the same thing for my BrewPi, and have one computer on my network running No-ip's client software (all it does is update your IP to No-ip if your ISP changes it...).

EDIT: Wow, two guys beat me to that.

Thad: I didn't know there was a no-ip client for linux. Should have looked into that! Cheers!

Two big things wrong here.

1- Dont give no-ip your internal IP address. If anything, it should be your external internet-facing IP. Better yet, give it nothing and install the no-ip dynamic update client to the Pi. Thats it whole job, to update the IP.

Ok I install DUC on my raspberry pi, it asked for my login and password and then how often i wanted to update (put 60), is that minutes or seconds? Reread and its 60 minutes

I ran the program and looks like its working but still not showing when it try to go to the webpage, how should I set up the router? Set the port forwarding for my RPi static IP on the router to 80 and now it works. Thanks for the help

For those that want to do this and have no knowledge of routers and port forwarding, etc. I will write up a step by step guide later this week when I get some time.

So wrote a real quick how-to to get this up and running. While the info so far gave good general steps, if you arent familiar with linux or hosting stuff it was a little confusing. Hopefully this guide makes it as easy to set up as the RaspPints guide.

Thadius if you want to use this on the website so its easier to find please do. And feel free to change as needed

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67309701/No-IP install.docx

edit: updated the guide a little

Back