Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeBAD

Reaction score
We've only been brewing for a few months and fortunately have never had an infection. Is there a way to tell if you might have an infection without actually popping open the ferm bucket?

We brewed on Sunday night, pitched at 11PM at an wort temp of 65 degrees and everything went perfectly except one thing. When we had our brew kettle in the ice bath I think it's possible our thermometer made brief contact with the ice/snow/water mixture of the ice bath. Fortunately at the time it happened the wort temp was still around 175 degrees. After we realized it happened we re-sterilized the thermometer but I'm almost positive it happened once.

Now it's Wed at noon so its been 61 hours since pitch. During that time everything has gone well as far as I can tell. It's been a vigorous but not aggressive ferm and the temp in the bucket has stayed steady at 65 degrees the whole time.

By 8AM the first morning the bubbling in the airlock was steady at approx 5 seconds between bubbles and increased to a steady continuous bubbling around noon on Mon. Now 48 hours later the bubbling remains continuous but not over aggressive and the temp is still 65. The only thing I noticed is the vodka in the airlock is slightly discolored but I suppose its possible a little krausen crawled up. Everything smells like beer too.

Btw the OG was 1.061.

I guess the reason I'm a little spooked is everything has gone so well. None of our other batches have ever maintained a steady temp the whole time. Also the airlock activity has never stayed continuous for a full 48 hours like this batch.

However I will say we were much more careful this time to make sure we pitched enough yeast. In previous batches we probably under pitched.

Am I just being paranoid or is there any signs in here I might have an infection?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Yes, I think you are being paranoid. Having pitched your yeast soon after brewing cuts the chances of infections. There are few organisms that can survive in the acid nature of your beer. Those that can usually cannot stand the alcoholic content that you must have since your yeast are active enough to bubble the airlock. The ones that can stand the acidity and alcohol are (so far as I know) aerobic so they cannot survive once your beer is covered in CO2.

When you see infections they are usually in secondary where the headspace was so large that the residual CO2 in the beer was lost in the transfer or insufficient to blanket the beer.

Fortunately at the time it happened the wort temp was still around 175 degrees.

I don't believe there's anything that will affect your beer surviving at that temperature. If you're above 140 most of the bugs are dead.

To my current understanding of pasteurization per many discussions here,it happens in some 30 minutes at 142F,& seconds at 160F. So that part's fine.

Back