infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benshadow

Reaction score
Morning.

I added yeast to this ipa about 24 hours ago and it is a little delayed in starting, however checking now I see these fluffy things on top. Looks a little like the trub that was in the kettle. It is my first time using protafloc. Is this normal or an infection?

Thanks guys. Have made this for someone's wedding. Don't want it to go to waste

ForumRunner_20130613_100254.jpg

Probably nothing to worry, just leftover hot and cold breaks, it could be yeast also..
I would wait for a week, measure FG and taste it.

Thanks. Looks like the yeast is finally getting to work now. I must stop opening it to see how it is getting on or there will definitely be problems. I'm away on holiday for a week now so the temptation won't be there.

It does seem a little bit funky to me. Here it is now. It might just be that the yeast is taking its time but it does smell s little funky too.

Does this look normal now? Or am I going a little crazy after 2 brew days on the trot whilst also working 10 hour days. Utah seems no sleep makes Ben a paranoid boy.

Thanks again

ForumRunner_20130613_131146.jpg

That looks like a perfectly normal fermentation. LEAVE IT ALONE. Quit opening up your bucket.

Let the yeast do their job and check back in about 2-3 weeks. Use a hydro to make sure ferm is done, then package.

Thanks I needed to be told to chill out. Hopefully the house keeps a good temp because there isn't room in the chamber at the moment. In other news it's time to rack the cask ready for when I get back from holiday :):)

ForumRunner_20130613_132921.jpg

Hi guys.

I recently tasted this beer from the pressure barrel and it seems a little diacetyl heavy. The beer is for a wedding in 6 days. Do I have any chance of clearing this up?

Any help would be appreciated!

Ben

Dry hop in the barrel now ready for next Sat?? Or just sell it to them as butter beer????

I had good luck with my US-05 clearing out a good majority of diacetyl from week 1 to week to 2 of bottle carbing. I'm with Twin though throw some hops in there in a bag. A nice hoppy band-aide :) Good Luck

50 grams of loose leaf cascades in a muslin bag? Quite high pressure in the pressure barrel at the moment and is a budget barrel so can't add any c02 again once opened. This should be ok?

Do you think opening the barrel will oxidize the beer too much and it will loose too much condition if not being served until next sat?

You know this system better then me..if you chill the barrel will some of the C02 absorb into the beer and decrease the pressure...also, again I don't know much about this system, but isn't it still fermenting a bit to produce the C02, shouldn't that help against oxidization if your fast?

It's been in barrel for weeks now. Probably won't be producing more c02 now. Still unsure to risk it or not with it being for someone's wedding. Bland slightly butterscotch golden ale or maybe under conditioned, slightly oxidized cascade tasting golden...

Back