Infected???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrstaples1

Reaction score
Went to bottle today and I was a little surprised to see this atop my brew. I'll admit, I am relatively new to homebrewing so this could be perfectly normal, but I'm hoping for some feedback.

For reference, this is a "Slovenian Blonde" extract kit from LHBS. It came with 4 lb light DME, 0.4 lb Munich malt, 0.25 lb flaked wheat, 0.25 lb white wheat, 0.5 oz celia hops (60 min), 0.25 oz celia hops (30 min), and 0.40 oz celia hops (15 min). I also added 1 tsp Irish moss at 15 min left to boil. I used Wyeast 1272 American Ale II smack pack. Fermented for 2 weeks in 6.5 gal bucket.

Nothing weird in my notes or anything, although I did notice the middle piece of the 3 piece airlock was sort of "at rest" before I opened it up tonight. In other words, it wasn't pushed up against the cap as you would expect it to end up after fermentation. Maybe a bad seal on the bucket?

Anyway, I was hoping I could just siphon between the trub and this stuff on top, but there were bits suspended throughout the bucket. Not nearly as much as on top, but little bits.

So, it this going to be sour or what when I taste it in a couple weeks?

IMG_20140117_212534.jpg

IMG_20140117_212541.jpg

Looks very nice and normal. I usually leave my beers in the primary until the remnants of the krausen have dropped. Allowing longer clearing time in the primary will result in less sediment dropping out in the bottle.

Latest posts

Back