Inexpensive peristaltic pump for fly sparging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sibelman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We fly-spargers want a consistent, low flow rate from mash tun to kettle. A ball valve (or Blichmann "linear flow" valve) works fairly well to regulate flow, but sometimes frustrates: setting the desired rate is kinda tricky, and can be bollixed by a bit of malt debris.

For under $100 (some under $50) on Amazon/eBay/AliExpress, there's quite a few peristaltic pumps that could allow well-controlled sparge rates. Most are too slow, but some can move 500 ml/min, about an hour to move a 7-gallon/30-liter pre-boil volume into the kettle. A few of these low-priced units can go much faster. Some come with speed control, but others might need external electronics.

Does anyone have experience with a peristaltic pump that you'd be willing to share?

Interesting. I had just posted asking if someone had any trucks or hear to get a consistent flow from Mash to BK, because I can't seem to set my ball valve consistently, this get different sparge times, and hence different mash efficiency/OG. I'll have to research these pumps.

What flow rate are you looking to achieve?
I don't have a strong belief in a particular rate. One recent post recommended a total time of 90 minutes, which feels a bit extreme. I'm not super focused on shortening my brew day (faster flow) or boosting lauter efficiency (slower flow).

Consistency is a main goal. Also, not having to be vigilant about clogs slowing/halting the flow.

7 gallons = ~30 liters

30 min. - > 1000 ml/min.
60 500 ml/min.
90 333 ml/min.

Cheers!

I did some trials a while ago mashing with different sparge process to quantity mash efficiency versus time. I found big efficiency gains with a 20-30 minute fly sparge vs batch sparge.

And on batch sparge, after dumping in water, stirring the grain, then vourlaf until clear flow again, I was spending 20 minutes anyway.

So I like the 1000L/min number.

fwiw, I've always fly sparged at the classic 1 quart per minute rate. Efficiencies have always been respectable so no motivation to change.

I use a pair of 815PL mags and rely on the mash pump decoupling if the bed were to pack up. A peristaltic pump, otoh, will just keep pulling until something gives...

Cheers!

I don't have a strong belief in a particular rate. One recent post recommended a total time of 90 minutes, which feels a bit extreme. I'm not super focused on shortening my brew day (faster flow) or boosting lauter efficiency (slower flow).

Consistency is a main goal. Also, not having to be vigilant about clogs slowing/halting the flow.

7 gallons = ~30 liters

30 min. - > 1000 ml/min.
60 500 ml/min.
90 333 ml/min.

Cheers!
This is how I was taught 24+ years ago and have always done it this way. I target 1 hour. Do my math from there. If I am trying to pull 12 gallons or 120 gallons. I target the hour. I have tried many other ways i.e batch, super fast fly, super SLOOOOOW FLY ETC, and always revert back to the hour and FLY Sparging...Just works and is always very consistent. It also gives me time for my boiler to heat to boiling WHILE I am fly sparging. As soon as my elements are under 1" of wort I can start my heat up process. :)

Cheers
Jay

I use a pair of 815PL mags and rely on the mash pump decoupling if the bed were to pack up. A peristaltic pump, otoh, will just keep pulling until something gives...

Cheers!
I see your point, but because I haven't had any sort of stuck mash for decades, I don't worry much about the fact that a peristaltic pump would just keep on sucking. So in my current risk/benefit thinking, the potentially superior control/consistency of peristaltic still intrigues me. Meanwhile, my March/Chugger and Blichmann "linear" valve suffice.

Back to pump questions: some of the cheap peristaltic pumps have no control electronics. Am I right in thinking that those with a "DC brush motor" could be speed- controlled with a simple potentiometer, and those with a "DC stepper motor" would require a stepper motor controller such as this?

Latest posts

Back