Indoor venting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wader98

Reaction score
Just wanting to see what most of the indoor brewers are using for ventilation? Currently I brew in the basement bathroom ( I know not the best option) anyways I’m thinking of installing a 200cfm 4” inline fan in my storage room along with a utility tub for the chiller and cleaning.

I know the boil off for the grainfather is only about 2 litres so do I even bother with the inline fan or just have my dehumidifier run while boiling?

The run from the grainfather to ceiling would be 3 feet, 90 degree elbow then 2 feet to wall.

I had to upgrade to a 6” duct fan from a 4”. the 4” just couldn’t pull the steam effectively and at least half escaped. dehumidifier worked well but took time.

the 6” duct fan takes care of my boil off rate of 1gal/ hour. pushing outside through about 6 feet of flexible duct. condensate gets trapped in a low spot where it’s not a problem and i dump it and run the fan another 30 mins or so to dry completely. works fine.

i also run all my waste water into a rubbermaid bin. i put a utility pump in the bin and fire it from a surge protector when needed - typically 2-3 times per brew/ chill.

love brewing indoors!

fwiw, I also run 6" round ducting - into a blower exhausting through a 3x10 run to the outside...

ab_brewery_11sm.jpg

Cheers!

I brew with the Grainfather in my basement, too. There's a humidifier in the room it's in (a laundry room, maybe 10x10), and I crack the small window that's in there during the boil. Doesn't seem to create any problems.

I just started electric brewing in my basement about a month ago. Right now I take off the dryer vent and put on the vent that you see with a 4in inline fan to a Walmart bucket over top of the keg. There is zero condensation outside of the box, but there is a fair bit inside the box and in the duckwork. However, from a few feet away you would not know that I am brewing as there does not appear to be any humidity escaping. This is for a 5 gallon batch with about a gallon of boil off.

Attachments

• 20200307_184047.jpg
    20200307_184047.jpg
    886 KB · Views: 70
Thanks for the replies. I was going to go with a 4" 200 CFM inliin fan but I think I'll go for the 6 inch 400 CFM one just to be safe.

This has been discussed - often (that picture ("Smithsonian"? :drunk:) seems to trigger people that haven't been paying attention all these years :D)

First, I do not have access to a drain close enough to make a condenser work, and am not going to discharge into buckets.
Second, I brew with a gas rig. A condenser isn't going to make that work at all.

It may look primitive (I prefer "steam punk" - literally ;)) but it's highly effective. No condensation, ever...

Cheers!

[edit/ps] Also, fwiw, I can dial boil rates from 2gph down to .5gph simply by lid positioning with commensurate reduction in burner setting. The former is great for building big beers, the latter nice for delicate brews...

Last edited:
Back